C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How durable is Artico for detailing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250 4matic
How durable is Artico for detailing?

Is it safe to take my car to a detailing place? The owner I bought it from was a friend of mine and he's never detailed nor waxed his car before.

I'm looking at a place offering 150 dollars for detailing. I'm mostly worried about the seats, the "Artico" leather. I've been hearing that they're quite fragile. This place I'm thinking of going to will steam clean the upholstery as well, and I'm worried that this might damage the seats or the electronics in them like heated seats and seat controls. The car has like traces of make up on the back seat (he says he didn't **** in there, I'm hoping he's telling the truth ) that's really hard to get rid of.

Have any of you taken your car to a detailing place? I feel like I'm being overly paranoid. I am a bit shocked that he never waxed his car in a year. The clear coat looks fine though.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Mercedes C300
I have no idea about the leather since I have MB-tex, but your clear coat should be fine since your car is only about a year old. Waxing your car is important to preserve the clear coat, but your clear coat isn't as fragile as you may think.

And about the back seat.... disinfect it and burn your clothes afterwards

Last edited by Domm; 07-02-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Artico is the Canadian name for MBTex. This material is quite durable...not fragile. But, I would not steam clean the seats. Just find a good vinyl cleaner/conditioner. Search the forum for recommendations if you are unsure what brand to use. JamesKim, regarding the make-up, what are "like traces"? Do you mean "light"? If so, they should clean up with the vinyl cleaner.

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-02-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250 4matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Artico is the Canadian name for MBTex. This material is quite durable...not fragile. But, I would not steam clean the seats. Just find a good vinyl cleaner/conditioner. Search the forum for recommendations if you are unsure what brand to use. JamesKim, regarding the make-up, what are "like traces"? Do you mean "light"? If so, they should clean up with the vinyl cleaner.
There's a rather large spot (the size of my hand) of make up on the center console. I'm sure the detailing place will get it. I'll go to one that doesn't steam the seats. Good to hear that the seats are durable, thx.