C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How much for a ("blank")

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
How much for a ("blank")

This is my first MB and I'm really enjoying it. I'm the type of guy that likes to be very well educated when it comes to repairs and maintenance that is coming down the pipe. So with that said:

1. How long should I expect the brakes on my C350 to last (mileage-wise)? And how much should I expect to replace pads?

2. I bought 3 years of the prepaid maintenance, so I'm set up to 30K miles. What sort of "additional" things should I expect them to try and upsell me on when I take it in for the maintenance? Any additional flushes, cleanings, etc.? And how much do they run/Are they worth it?

3. What other things should I expect to possibly have repaired/maintaned? And what do those run?

I hate being stuck in the dealership or shop and having someone trying to sell me on anything else. I like to research prices and the work they are doing to make sure I don't get screwed. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I want to know I'm paying the going rate. I'm not a quick decision type of guy.

In a nutshell I'm just looking for you all's experience with different repairs/maintenance and the prices I should expect to pay.

Last edited by Sommy; 07-23-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Sommy
This is my first MB and I'm really enjoying it. I'm the type of guy that likes to be very well educated when it comes to repairs and maintenance that is coming down the pipe. So with that said:

1. How long should I expect the brakes on my C350 to last (mileage-wise)? And how much should I expect to replace pads?

2. I bought 3 years of the prepaid maintenance, so I'm set up to 30K miles. What sort of "additional" things should I expect them to try and upsell me on when I take it in for the maintenance? Any additional flushes, cleanings, etc.? And how much do they run/Are they worth it?

3. What other things should I expect to possibly have repaired/maintaned? And what do those run?

I hate being stuck in the dealership or shop and having someone trying to sell me on anything else. I like to research prices and the work they are doing to make sure I don't get screwed. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I want to know I'm paying the going rate. I'm not a quick decision type of guy.

In a nutshell I'm just looking for you all's experience with different repairs/maintenance and the prices I should expect to pay.

1. It depends A LOT on your driving style, I would say its completely parallel with your average MPG. Why? Because if you drive a lot in city conditions, with a lot of stop and go you'll get low mpg's as well as low brake durability. And if you drive too agressive you'll also get low mpg as well as low lifespan of your brakes. Replacing front and rear pads at your local mechanic (buying oem pads yourself online) should be around 200$ with labor, at the dealer maybe 350$. I will wait until the current pads on my benz are gone and get non-oem (I freaking hate brake dust), I'll get some hawk performance low dust pads.

My car is driven 75% in highways. I got 60k out of the first set of pads.

2. They shouldn't charge you anything else from what is strictly required for maintenance since you got the prepaid 3yr program. They could offer things like a paint detailing for around 150$, engine bay cleaning for around 80$ and things like that. Nothing really important.

3. These cars are one of the most reliable mercedes benz from what I've read and seen. I've had the previous c class (2005) and that car is still good but not as reliable as this one. I have 85k miles right now, bought the car used but with all maintenance done at the dealership and in the invoices there's absolutely nothing ever changed that is not in the maintenance program. Except for both front struts for the 4matic at 22k, I think it was a recall or something because the invoice reflects a 0$ charge for that. I wouldn't expect nothing to go wrong at least until 100k, but I also saw one in this forum with over 150k miles and nothing ever gone wrong but the ignition switch, a 600$ fix.

Last edited by ggms16; 07-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Anyone else have any thoughts?

How about battery life/cost. What have people experienced?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I don't know about the W204 necessarily, but the W203s regularly saw battery life in the 7 year range.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Sommy
Anyone else have any thoughts?

How about battery life/cost. What have people experienced?
Wow, I wouldn't worry so much about what might happen! Just enjoy your new ride, follow the maintenance schedule chart found in your OM packet, and replace wear items as needed. (Wipers, tires, belts, brakes, eventually shocks, etc. Not sure if extended warranties cover normal wear items but these do get very expensive especially if you use the dealership or you cannot do them yourself.) As previously mentioned... the life of these wear items depends on your driving style, habits and skills, plus how you care and store the vehicle. And since you do not have the 4Matic, you will escape the possibility of the recent transfer case failure curse. Other than that, gas and insurance will be your most expensive expenditures. Enjoy!