C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Viewing a DVD while driving

Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43

Is there a way to make this happen? I've seen some Youtube clips and it looks pretty complex. Is there a software menu you can toggel this off and on? It would be nice to have a video on while driving.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Sommy
Is there a way to make this happen? I've seen some Youtube clips and it looks pretty complex. Is there a software menu you can toggel this off and on? It would be nice to have a video on while driving.
Are you serious? The problem with texting an driving is not causing enough damage, and you want to watch a movie? Please go to a theater or go home and turn on the TV. Please, no one enable this with any advice.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM

C43
Before you get your panties in a wad - let me clarify.

I want to have this on for my daughter during long trips, similar to the DVD screens that are in the headrests. Difference this is in the dash and not the back. I don't exactly plan on watching the Batman trilogy while having my morning commute.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Before you get your panties in a wad - let me clarify.

I want to have this on for my daughter during long trips, similar to the DVD screens that are in the headrests. Difference this is in the dash and not the back. I don't exactly plan on watching the Batman trilogy while having my morning commute.
That clarification would have been great up front. As far as "panties in a wad", talk to the folks or families of those who have been injured/killed in texting-while-driving car crashes. This is not a subject to be taken lightly and probably a risk here as even a well-intended driver can't help but be distracted by a movie being played right in front of them.

There are monitors you can place on the back of the front seats with integral DVD players. Or, just download a movie onto an iPad and put her in the back where any child should be in any case.

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-30-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
You could get a very good portable DVD player/monitor at a cheap price these days.
You could also use it anywhere you want (backyard, bathroom, camping, etc.).
Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
I agree with Sportstick but know that the safety aspect is of no concern to you. Another point is that after a while, the DVD system seems to become outdated vs. mobile devices that can stream Hulu or YouTube. Maybe an investment in a mobile phone and a data plan for your daughter (not sure if she old enough, but assuming she can watch Batman) is better than DVD rentals and money spent trying to beat the system.

I know getting DVD to play in a BMW while driving requires a VIN specific disc costing $300+
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM

C43
Thanks. Of course safety is a priority, even more so with a kid in the car. Sorry if that wasnt clear.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Banned

bmw
I want to have this on for my daughter during long trips
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM

C250c
i've been looking into this too... for BMWs, there is away: it requires some coding. I'm wondering if its the same for benz...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Thanks. Of course safety is a priority, even more so with a kid in the car. Sorry if that wasnt clear.
I didn't mean that you didn't care about the safety of your kid. I meant that you were not going to watch the movie, so safety is not a concern to you since your eyes will *hopefully* be on the road.

Last edited by Domm; 07-31-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERFACE-TV...-/360402692945
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
I do find driving with the dvd on really distracting, no doubt and I am an alert driver. It is very good for the passenger though I can't help myself to look at the screen. That is why I took mine off lol almost hit a car once , when I had it, I always put a movie on.

Anyway I have a Midcity VIM for sale if you need. msg me

Last edited by 1DarkChaos; 07-31-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM

C350 sport
That's the right stuff, MIDCITY engineering sell the VIM (Video in Motion). Is a device to enable the DVD when the car is in motion.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
When I got my rear view camera installed, the guy also enabled the VIM for me. There was also a Midcity Engineering module involved as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
They do make a interface overide so that DVD movies can play while driving ( not blu ray ). In some states, like Va and Md, there is a $150 fine if caught. Second, it also interferes with Command. Another words, buy her a laptop with a DVD drive instead.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Illegal in most states and dangerous as well. Please follow the advice given and do not do this foolish mod. If she really needs to watch a movie backseat with an I-pad or laptop is the way to go.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
I'd go for the portable player too: just stuff it in the seat pocket on the back of the seat for your daughter.....
I have a nice sony one, has a remote too......don't use it so much anymore, but it can be helpful
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM

W204 C350 Sport
this can be done with the TV Free module as stated above, but for the money ($150-175), i would just go out buy a nexus7 tablet ($199 but google will give you a $25 credit when you buy to spend at their play store), that way you can load it up with movies and games for her and it will be portable. It also wouldnt distract you while you were driving
Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 AM

GL450
Sommy,
I have a GL450 and I recently installed a software package from DVDinmotion. I have an SD card reader in my vehicle, but I'm pretty sure they make it so that you can insert a DVD or CD that you can burn with their information. There are several hardware kits that are available and they range from around $250 to $400 from what my limited internet research produced. The very important thing for me was would it allow the navigation system to function while watching a movie. The answer for most of the hardware solutions is NO.
The dvdinmotion software DOES allow the navigation system to run in the background.
I was searching for a solution that allowed my nav system to continue running so as to be able to give me turn by turn directions while the DVD player was on the front screen. It does exactly that.
I emailed the company and a lady name Lucie responded. She asked me for my VIN number and then sent me a series of nine files that I downloaded into the slot. The computer in my MB wrote an extra file on the SD that I then sent back to her. The technicians looked at that information from my head unit computer and then gave me another 9 files that I then inserted into the SD card again and then it allowed me to watch the DVD in the front. For me, the issue was my little kids in the back that don't know yet how to operate the DVD remotes so we (my wife or passenger) were always struggling to figure out how to guess which buttons to push to get them to the right movie, or the right part of the movie they wanted to watch. This way the passenger can simply toggle to media then choose DVD and you have it right on the screen while the vehicle is moving. The best part is that it is only $159USD. WAAAAAY less expensive than the other options.
Lucie said they were in the process of updating their website as they started with just BMW unlocks and have now moved on to MB. They spent over 1 year figuring out the BMW software and about the same amount of time for the MB. I think I was actually one of their first customers and they were extremely helpful. I tested all aspects of the DVD, radio, sat, CD player, headphones, active source for the rear inputs....everything and it all worked flawlessly. I think they are based somewhere in Europe but not really sure. They even replied to my emails on the weekend. Lucie also sent me the final installation files without ever asking for a dime, which shows you the kind of company they are I suppose. I could not pay for it if I wanted to as they have no credit card information or anything else, but that wouldn't be any way for an honest person to behave especially after their awesome customer service.
Their website is DVDinmotion.com
Lucie's contact information is Lucie Vernerova
email Lucie Vernerova <info@dvdinmotion.com>
I hope you have as great a success as I did installing this software.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM

GL450
just received an email from Lucie....they are in the Czech Republic
they support the following as of now
The unlock we've developed works only for some models. It is compatible with COMAND APS NTG 2.5 head unit. Here is the list of supported cars for your reference:
Class GL (X 164 from 07/2008)
Class M (W 164 from 07/2008)
Class R (W/V 251 from 07/2008)
Class G (G 463 from 09/2008)
Class E (W/S 211 from 07/2008 to 03/2009)
Class SL (R 230 from 04/2008)
Class SLK (R 171 from 04/2008)
Class CLS (C 219 from 04/2008)
Class CLC (CL 203 from 09/2008)
Class B (W 245 from 07/2008)
Class A (W/C 169 from 07/2008)
Sprinter / Viano / Vito (od 08/2009)
Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Zol

CLS

is there exist any solutions for early 2005 cls?

p.s. pls dont offer me to by ipad or laptop i already have a lot of them. i
want to make usable DVD option in my car original device!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
R231
The OP asked for advice on how to do what he's looking to do, he didn't ask about your opinions. Enabling video in motion for passengers cannot be compared to texting and driving. Only an imbecile would "stare" as his screen watching a movie while on his daily commute, and most certainly not many MB owners are imbeciles. These forums are not meant for personal criticism, it's meant to help people achieve what they're looking for. It's the OP's responsibility to decide whether he likes to do it or not.

Now to answer your question OP: There are various hardware modules you can buy and have it installed. However my recommendation is to go with a software unlock, it's a simpler cleaner install. Both DVDINMOTION and BIMMERGURU offer this and it seems like they are both affiliated with each other. I myself including a few friends have bought from them and are very satisfied
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by torontoR231
The OP asked for advice on how to do what he's looking to do, he didn't ask about your opinions. Enabling video in motion for passengers cannot be compared to texting and driving. Only an imbecile would "stare" as his screen watching a movie while on his daily commute, and most certainly not many MB owners are imbeciles. These forums are not meant for personal criticism, it's meant to help people achieve what they're looking for. It's the OP's responsibility to decide whether he likes to do it or not.

Now to answer your question OP: There are various hardware modules you can buy and have it installed. However my recommendation is to go with a software unlock, it's a simpler cleaner install. Both DVDINMOTION and BIMMERGURU offer this and it seems like they are both affiliated with each other. I myself including a few friends have bought from them and are very satisfied
If you cannot handle peoples opinions, you shouldn't post on a open forum. If all you want is technical assistance with no feedback, go pay for it at a shop where you can tell them you are paying for work performed and not opinions.
Like others have said, this is a bad idea in many ways, no matter how you intend to use it.
Case in point; We had an guy run a red light and total our Audi a few months back. The guy got a ticket and admitted guilt but then tried to back out. We spoke to an attorney and one of the immediate things they look into is "modifications" to the vehicle that could "possibly" contribute to distracted/dangerous driving. If found, this could cost you a ****load of money on top of your normal liability.
Distracted driving is rampant these days and adding a movie screen in view of the vast majority of drivers is a bad idea.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by torontoR231

The original poster asked the question over 3 1/2 years ago and hasn't been active on here for over 2 1/2 years. Just wondering why you decided to resurrect such an old thread now? I see that every post you have made on the forums concerns DVDInMotion. Do you work for them or get some sort of commission for posting about them? Just curious about why your passion about this particular subject only?

That said, even if it not the driver's INTENT to watch the video, I can see how even glancing harmlessly for a split second could easily turn into a couple seconds and that is more than enough time to get involved in an accident. I'm sure everyone has a story where they unwittingly were distracted for that split second by something and then breathed a sigh of relief when they were able to avoid what could have been a very serious situation. Everyone I'm sure feels that would never happen to ME as I am too good a driver and everyone ELSE is an "imbecile", but like they say, bad things can happen too good people. So, would be nice to have that feature, but I can see why it is not activated.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
i like to see what people in japan would like to say about this. 90% of cars there have tv on while on the road.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Viewing a DVD while driving