C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Trade Avalon For C? If So, Which One?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Toyota Avalon Touring
Trade Avalon For C? If So, Which One?

Hey guys...noob here.

Currently driving an '07 Toyota Avalon Touring with about 100k and have had absolutely no issues with it, however, my practice in life has been to trade around 100K to avoid problems.

I've narrowed my search to the C-Class. The 2 I'm looking at are:

2010 C300 4Matic with Premium I, AMG wheel package and pano roof with 32K (still has factory warranty through Nov/13)

2009 C350 RWD with Premium I, AMG wheel package, nav with 52K

Both are prices similarly.

Not sure about AWD, so have some reservations, but not from personal experience. I've read a couple of posts here and elsewhere about 4Matic issues and noises.

I like the power of the 350, but I don't plan on always being in a race, so it may be negligible.

So I'm looking for some feedback...stick with my Avalon for another couple of years, buy the C300 or buy the C350.

Thanks!!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by TX_Brad
Hey guys...noob here.

Currently driving an '07 Toyota Avalon Touring with about 100k and have had absolutely no issues with it, however, my practice in life has been to trade around 100K to avoid problems.

I've narrowed my search to the C-Class. The 2 I'm looking at are:

2010 C300 4Matic with Premium I, AMG wheel package and pano roof with 32K (still has factory warranty through Nov/13)

2009 C350 RWD with Premium I, AMG wheel package, nav with 52K

Both are prices similarly.

Not sure about AWD, so have some reservations, but not from personal experience. I've read a couple of posts here and elsewhere about 4Matic issues and noises.

I like the power of the 350, but I don't plan on always being in a race, so it may be negligible.

So I'm looking for some feedback...stick with my Avalon for another couple of years, buy the C300 or buy the C350.

Thanks!!
I am potentially going to suggest neither. Hang on! Hear me out!

I don't know why you originally selected the Avalon, but over 100k miles, I suspect you have become accustomed to its ride quality and interior room. The C Class is a segment smaller, and the E Class is more similar in those attributes to the Avalon. Have you considered an 09 W211 generation E? Pricing could be surprisingly pleasing for an excellent and high quality vehicle. But, let's assume you are ok with the smaller size. I again suspect you may not be as pleased with the difference in ride quality, (especially if something like 4MATIC "noise" is a bother...preferences for soft ride and quiet to tend to go together in people), although you may enjoy the significant improvement in handling and steering response. No more one finger steering with lots of looseness coming off the on-center position!

If so, please know that the C Class is made in two flavors....Sport and Luxury. About 90% are Sport. I think you need to search for one of the 10% that is a Luxury model, and further, with standard size 17" wheels, not larger. The change from a large Toyota suspension design intent to the MB will provide quite a bit of new experience, even in base form, and we've had some people here with buyer's remorse over ride quality in their Sport. That doesn't apply to most people on this forum. But, in all honesty, and no offense intended at all, most folks here would never consider an Avalon for reasons which include its rather isolated and overly cushy driving experience. The 17" wheel is the standard size wheel and has the most tire sidewall height to help keep the ride comfort you probably expect.

You can tell a Luxury model quite easily by the hood ornament, while the Sport has a large three pointed star in the grille. But, as I also suggest buying it as a CPO (certified previously owned) from a MB dealer, they can ensure it's not a car where someone changed cosmetic parts. This is a good article on more recent models, and some differences have changed over the model years. He plays down the suspension differences, but a search here will find folks asking how to change their Sport suspension back to a Luxury calibration to make it softer and more comfortable for them.

http://daveknowscars.com/2011/04/12/...luxury-models/

Let's move on to 4MATIC. Your profile is incomplete, so I don't know where you are, but will guess from your screen name that it's Texas. I am surprised you can even find a 4MATIC car in Texas, but a used one may have moved around a bit. There is zero need for 4MATIC in Texas and it will cost more to buy, more to maintain, slow the car down, and use more gas. I get through Michigan winters without 4MATIC, but with dedicated winter tires.

The desire for power is personal. I've been quite satisfied with my C300, but having a stick helps that along. You need to drive and decide.

Any MB will be a new driving experience coming from Japan's best attempt at building a "Buick". Do make sure you drive the car you are considering, as 100,000 miles can be a long time if it doesn't feel quite right to you. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Toyota Avalon Touring
Great info...thanks!

Yes, I am in Texas. Surprisingly, there are a fair number of 4Matics here that are from here (being from up north I can tell you that Texans panic when a couple of flakes hit the ground!!).

I've driven both and if it makes any sense, the 4Matic feels "heavier" or something...could be the AWD.

I drove an E350, but found it too soft; softer than my Avalon, but hte Touring model of the Avalon is a lot tighter than the rest of the line up.

Reliability and cost of ownership are concerns, so kind of wondering if the old addage "German Engineering" is true.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by TX_Brad
Great info...thanks!

Yes, I am in Texas. Surprisingly, there are a fair number of 4Matics here that are from here (being from up north I can tell you that Texans panic when a couple of flakes hit the ground!!).

I've driven both and if it makes any sense, the 4Matic feels "heavier" or something...could be the AWD.

I drove an E350, but found it too soft; softer than my Avalon, but hte Touring model of the Avalon is a lot tighter than the rest of the line up.

Reliability and cost of ownership are concerns, so kind of wondering if the old addage "German Engineering" is true.
There are also different models of E, also in Sport and Luxury, but if you've dismissed that alternative, I still suggest driving a Luxury C as well as a Sport.

Maintenance is costly compared to other brands, but my 09 has been among the most reliable vehicles I've ever had.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
My $0.02

If an E is in consideration make sure

1) Its at least an MY07 and up
2) Compare the sport to the luxury.

Luxury was to soft for me so I went with the sport. In that regard I would also caution about the tires fitted. They can make a difference in handling and feel.