C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Front break pads/rotors $700.25 at stealer vs $450 non OEM somewhere else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Front break pads/rotors $700.25 at stealer vs $450 non OEM somewhere else?

My c300 has about 38000 miles and the light for check the break came on.

Well at the stealer they quoted me 700 bucks and at tires/oil break pad shop they quoted me 450 bucks for 3rd party parts.

What is you guys take on it. I can't afford the 700 bucks but if this is the best option ten I'll have to save. I can afford the 450 but don't know what the reprecussions if any will be.

Any and all input would be appreciated it. Thanks.

This is for front break pads/rotors and sensor for 2010 c class 4matic sport

Last edited by dgghostkilla; 08-27-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Get them on parts.com!

ROTOR C300, C300 4-Matic; w/Sports Pkg.

MSRP Core ? Save Online Price
$102.00 $0.00 $28.80 $73.20

FRONT PADS C300, C300 4-Matic

MSRP Core ? Save Online Price
$107.00 $0.00 $30.20 $76.80
Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by dgghostkilla
My c300 has about 38000 miles and the light for check the break came on.

Well at the stealer they quoted me 700 bucks and at tires/oil break pad shop they quoted me 450 bucks for 3rd party parts.

What is you guys take on it. I can't afford the 700 bucks but if this is the best option ten I'll have to save. I can afford the 450 but don't know what the reprecussions if any will be.

Any and all input would be appreciated it. Thanks.

This is for front break pads/rotors and sensor for 2010 c class 4matic sport
Are you certain brake rotors are required? Did you get the thickness measured? Do you feel pulsations in the brake pedal as you push your foot into it? If the rotors are above the required thickness, the surface is not severely scored (deeply etched circular grooves) and not out of round (pedal does not pulsate), they do not need to be replaced simply because you have new pads.

As to the pads, excellent aftermarket pads, such as Akebono EUR can be bought on amazon.com for about $150 (front and rear). For my 09 rear wheel drive, the part numbers are 1340 and 1341, but you should confirm for your model year and model vehicle. A local independent shop familiar with the car should be able to install the pads front and rear in one hour, which probably runs about $100 for labor.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Are you certain brake rotors are required? Did you get the thickness measured? Do you feel pulsations in the brake pedal as you push your foot into it? If the rotors are above the required thickness, the surface is not severely scored (deeply etched circular grooves) and not out of round (pedal does not pulsate), they do not need to be replaced simply because you have new pads.

As to the pads, excellent aftermarket pads, such as Akebono EUR can be bought on amazon.com for about $150 (front and rear). For my 09 rear wheel drive, the part numbers are 1340 and 1341, but you should confirm for your model year and model vehicle. A local independent shop familiar with the car should be able to install the pads front and rear in one hour, which probably runs about $100 for labor.
To be honest the brakes still feel good, which is why im surprised.

Some shops i called said that most mercedes benz need to have the rotors replaced whenever the brake pads are replaced or that its going to vibrate and make noises.

another shop said that they cant resurface the rotors.

of course they are all trying to make money haha. i rather only change the brake pads if the rotors are still good you know.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
The rotors should last until the second brake job. On my W211, before I purchased my e320, the Mercedes dealer installed pads on all four wheels at approximately 38,000 miles. When my brake warning light came on at 76,000, I decided to just go ahead and have the rotors changed. The rotors had a thick groove (or ridge) where the pads wore. I purchased the Balo rotors and Albekno brake pads ($370 for parts) and had my indie install them. He charged approximately $350.
Mike T.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Order the OEM parts somewhere online and get them installed by whoever. Will deff be a lot cheaper than whatever the dealership quotes.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C350 Sport
Order the parts and install them yourself. Brake jobs are very easy on these cars.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
To be honest the brakes still feel good, which is why im surprised.

Some shops i called said that most mercedes benz need to have the rotors replaced whenever the brake pads are replaced or that its going to vibrate and make noises.

another shop said that they cant resurface the rotors.

of course they are all trying to make money haha. i rather only change the brake pads if the rotors are still good you know.
A good start...if you don't feel any pulsing in the pedal, we can rule out an out-of-round condition. If you can get down next to your wheels and poke your finger through the spokes to the brake rotor. Feel it with your fingertip, and drag your fingernail across the surface and see if you get "tripped" in circular grooves. You may see grooves, but if they are not so deep that you really don't feel them, you can live with that rotor surface longer. That just leaves thickness, and for that, you need a gauge. If you don't know anyone who can measure this for you, ask the dealer or a shop to tell you the thickness. The minimum thickness should be stamped on the rotor.

You may only need new pads, which is more likely than not. I would, however, replace all four pads with Akebono for best consistent performance at all four corners.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by 05 MB Komp
Order the parts and install them yourself. Brake jobs are very easy on these cars.
I know you are quite knowledgeable and experienced, but there is something quite funny about putting advice on brakes right above the photo of your red car!!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT

Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
A good start...if you don't feel any pulsing in the pedal, we can rule out an out-of-round condition. If you can get down next to your wheels and poke your finger through the spokes to the brake rotor. Feel it with your fingertip, and drag your fingernail across the surface and see if you get "tripped" in circular grooves. You may see grooves, but if they are not so deep that you really don't feel them, you can live with that rotor surface longer. That just leaves thickness, and for that, you need a gauge. If you don't know anyone who can measure this for you, ask the dealer or a shop to tell you the thickness. The minimum thickness should be stamped on the rotor.

You may only need new pads, which is more likely than not. I would, however, replace all four pads with Akebono for best consistent performance at all four corners.
Thanks for all the help guys. well the rotors feel smooth to the touch but they are very rusted on the sides.

whats you guys take? I do know a guy who is a mechanic, well he is a friend of the woman's family. I've had a few BBQ's with him, i guess i could always ask him to see how much he charges me if i buy the parts myself. **** hopefully he does it for free
Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM

w204
In my professional opinion i would have to tell you to definitely replace the rotors as well as pads, especially on the front. With seeing that rust ridge, as well as the outter grooves i would say you wont be happy with the squealing you will have. When doing side work for friends i always side with what will make them happy with the work, dont want them bringing something up 2 months down the road while were havin a beer about how they arent really happy etc. Were not talkin CL63 rotors here. Gotta say id bite the bullet and do both
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Holy crap, haha. Do you do power brake burnouts or something?!?! Those rotors are pretty bad. You'll probably see cracking around the circle cross drilled soon. Keep in mind these next pads will probably last for anohter 30-40k miles, I doubt your rotors will be able to last that long.

Also, while you're at it, might want to look into akebono pads. They aren't much more expensive. Heck, I even have an extra set of front and rear pads for the w204 that I was planning to put on my 2009 C300 4Matic (I don't think my 2012 C250 coupe pads are the same)...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
haha NO BURNOUts here.
Yeah i guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and get the rotors and the pads replaced. i keep hearing "Albekno brakes" where can I get them and hoe much better,cheaper are they. what about the rotors what brand and where to get them.

Now if i buy both the rotors and the break pads online and just take it to a shop and have them install it? what about the Sensor?

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
haha NO BURNOUts here.
Yeah i guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and get the rotors and the pads replaced. i keep hearing "Albekno brakes" where can I get them and hoe much better,cheaper are they. what about the rotors what brand and where to get them.

Now if i buy both the rotors and the break pads online and just take it to a shop and have them install it? what about the Sensor?

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback
Agree with the developing consensus, now that I also can see the photos! They are starting to turn to powder!

For the pads, simply search Akebono EUR on Amazon (you will have to watch your spelling to find them! ) and they will show up on your doorstep. The pads are excellent, and Akebono is a worldwide company and supplies original equipment to several auto manufacturers. Just need to be sure of the part numbers for your car year and model. The sensors come with the pads.

You can also look on tirerack.com for pads and rotors. If you aren't sure which to get, give Luke a call there. He is a sponsor of our forum. They can quickly set you up. You should be able to just pay labor at a local indy shop or a flexible dealer and bring your own parts.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Amazon Amazon

so I've found them on amazon. what about the rotors guys :-)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM

E63
Agree with the developing consensus, now that I also can see the photos! They are starting to turn to powder!

For the pads, simply search Akebono EUR on Amazon (you will have to watch your spelling to find them! ) and they will show up on your doorstep. The pads are excellent, and Akebono is a worldwide company and supplies original equipment to several auto manufacturers. Just need to be sure of the part numbers for your car year and model. The sensors come with the pads.

You can also look on tirerack.com for pads and rotors. If you aren't sure which to get, give Luke a call there. He is a sponsor of our forum. They can quickly set you up. You should be able to just pay labor at a local indy shop or a flexible dealer and bring your own parts.
What's everyone's thought on rotors?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR134...1&s=automotive

so I've found them on amazon. what about the rotors guys :-)
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=Sport+Sedan
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Went too quickly....look here...less expensive version

Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT

i see tire rack has a set the cost 86 bucks and another that cost 106 bucks from those two links. they seem the exact same no?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM

E63

Sport models are slightly more expensive

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...8&autoModClar=
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by ncglock
Sport models are slightly more expensive

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...8&autoModClar=
I think the distinction is that is for a C350 and OP has a C300 4MATIC, albeit in the Sport, not Luxury model.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
buying both the pads and the rotors at tirerack is cheaper i guess. the pads cost $80 bucks at amazon and cost $77 at tire rack
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM

E63
I think the distinction is that is for a C350 and OP has a C300 4MATIC, albeit in the Sport, not Luxury model.
I thought thy might be bigger... But your right, same size
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
buying both the pads and the rotors at tirerack is cheaper i guess. the pads cost $80 bucks at amazon and cost $77 at tire rack
If they have the Akebono EUR pads, that would simplify it for you.....I did not check them for pads.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front break pads/rotors $700.25 at stealer vs $450 non OEM somewhere else?