C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Left Rear Door Speakers not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
C300 Left Rear Door Speakers not working

Hi all,

I just purchased an 08 c300 sport with the harman kardon sound system. Both the tweeter and woofer of the left rear door is not working, even if I fade to the rear and balance left. Has anyone had this problem? I suspect that the speakers are ok but the problem could be the wiring from the head unit not carrying the signal through. I can't imagine both tweeter and woofer on the same side going out together. I'm a do it yourselfer but the head unit in the dash intimidates me. I love to hear from anyone who has had the same or similar problem and how it was resolved. I'm not wanting to take to a MB shop or car audio store for now because I'm not very confident that they will do the right job to fix it. MB shops are mostly working on drivetrain stuff most of the time.

Appreciate your help.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I am experiencing a similar problem, but it's to my front driver's side speaker and tweeter. I have the stock non-HK sound system on my 08 C300 sport.
Once in a while the sound will return, but most of the time there's no sound coming out.

I have extremely low mileage and don't listen to my stereo very loud, so there's no way I could've blown out a channel to my amp or damaged those speakers by wear and tear.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Karter1
Hi all,

I just purchased an 08 c300 sport with the harman kardon sound system. Both the tweeter and woofer of the left rear door is not working, even if I fade to the rear and balance left. Has anyone had this problem? I suspect that the speakers are ok but the problem could be the wiring from the head unit not carrying the signal through. I can't imagine both tweeter and woofer on the same side going out together. I'm a do it yourselfer but the head unit in the dash intimidates me. I love to hear from anyone who has had the same or similar problem and how it was resolved. I'm not wanting to take to a MB shop or car audio store for now because I'm not very confident that they will do the right job to fix it. MB shops are mostly working on drivetrain stuff most of the time.

Appreciate your help.
With sound directed to those speakers, wiggle the accordion duct containing all the door wiring which is between the hinges. This is a long shot since the car is too new and that's the door which is opened least.

Older MB's used to have problems there when the wires fatigued and broke in that duct.

it's a start.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Thanks very much for the suggestion RLE. I'd like to hear from more members for other suggestions.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM

2008 C300 Sport
With the sound intermittently going in & out, that sounds like a wire connection issue. You might want to check the wires connecting to the speaker, it might be lose.