C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

If You Drive a Manual.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
If You Drive a Manual.....

Since new, my clutch has not felt quite right...a bit numb and grabby at the same time. At the two year point, the required brake fluid change was made, but nothing different happened with the clutch. This time, at the four year point, (just did my B service), I asked about the clutch line in particular and whether than could be flushed as well. The tech said it could and afterward described the process a bit, and it takes two folks....one working the tube and one depressing the pedal. Anyway, after that was flushed and refilled (a small amount of fluid), the clutch pedal and action feels better than it ever did, even when new. I wonder about the factory fill....low? air in the line? Who knows, but the car is much more enjoyable to drive now. If you have not had you clutch line specifically flushed and refilled, you may wish to consider that service.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Sounds promising. How much did they charge?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
$40 above the brake fluid change price.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Since new, my clutch has not felt quite right...a bit numb and grabby at the same time. At the two year point, the required brake fluid change was made, but nothing different happened with the clutch. This time, at the four year point, (just did my B service), I asked about the clutch line in particular and whether than could be flushed as well. The tech said it could and afterward described the process a bit, and it takes two folks....one working the tube and one depressing the pedal. Anyway, after that was flushed and refilled (a small amount of fluid), the clutch pedal and action feels better than it ever did, even when new. I wonder about the factory fill....low? air in the line? Who knows, but the car is much more enjoyable to drive now. If you have not had you clutch line specifically flushed and refilled, you may wish to consider that service.
This is surprising since the I'd bet that Porsche, BMW and Audi dealers routinely bleed the clutch when changing the brake fluid. After all, they use the same reservoir. And the clutch is bled from the slave cylinder which is the end of the line.

Just last summer, the seal in the clutch slave cylinder in my Porsche failed after only 26 years in service.

Perhaps you need a new dealer.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 AM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Hmmmmm...very interesting
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RLE
This is surprising since the I'd bet that Porsche, BMW and Audi dealers routinely bleed the clutch when changing the brake fluid. After all, they use the same reservoir. And the clutch is bled from the slave cylinder which is the end of the line.

Just last summer, the seal in the clutch slave cylinder in my Porsche failed after only 26 years in service.

Perhaps you need a new dealer.
Actually, this is an excellent dealer and I am very pleased with their service overall. I think there are two factors. One is that they have only ever seen one other C Class manual in these parts, so I have to make some allowance for human fragility and this detail not being top of mind. Secondly, it appears not to be part of the standard procedure for the two year brake fluid replacement cycle. The moment I raised it, they paged my favorite tech to the front desk so we could chat about the issue and for a low price, we decided to go forward.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
I'm noticing that with the arrival of cooler temps, 1st gear in the morning is difficult to engage. Sometimes even when the car is at operating temp, it wants to fight me on 1st gear.

A brake fluid flush is due, I'll make sure to add the clutch slave cylinder fluid to the list.