C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New c class owner! few questions..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 c300/2008 335i
Smile New c class owner! few questions..

Hey everyone, new member to the forum from Canada.

so just picked up a 2010 c300 sport 4matic today! I am a hardcore BMW guy and coming over from an e46 m3 and most recently a 335i coupe. Basically what sold me on the c300 was it's looks and its reliability. I wanted a car i could drive all year round that was still enjoyable and fun to drive. I would have liked to go c350 or even c63 but maybe in a year or 2. For now the c300 will do the trick and so far from the 4 hours or so i've driven it today i really like it.

Having said that though, i find MB's dash interface/controls to be very confusing, and hard to get use to. I don't know what half the things do and it's kind of hard to get adjusted to it all.

I got a good deal on the car, but there was one thing that has already come up (not surprising with my luck) I have a "check front left parking lamp" warning on the dash and it won't go away. I checked the bulb, seems fine, everything is opperating fine but the message won't clear up. Is there a way for me to clear this message without having the dealer do it? Also i notice there is a small bit of condensation in that headlight which bugs the hell out of me. The car is still under MB warranty for the next 10,000kms or so. Is this something that would be covered?

My other question has to do with mods. I don't plan on doing anything performance wise. I rather just upgrade to a c63 then spend money on a bunch of silly add ons to this particular model. I do however want to do a front lip, a trunk lip spoiler and i would like to go with lowering springs and a nice set of 19's. I also want to switch out the diffuser and get the c63 one with quad exhaust. The car already has tinted windows so that saves me a couple $$ on a mod. Would like to get rid of the ugly orange reflectors on the bumper as well.

Is there a for sale section on this forum? I was constantly on the fs section on the bmw forums and frequently bought things from other members or sponsers on the board but so far haven't seen a dedicated area on MB world.

Could some of you help me out by suggesting good retailers? I also would like to know what common tire size/wheel size is used for 19's on these cars and what lowering springs you guy's suggest and what other common mods are popular with the c series.

Anyway, i'd like to know as much information as possible about our cars, so i will be doing some research around the forum.

Hope to be here for a while and make some new friends along the way!

Last edited by funkedelic; 12-17-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC
There is a for sale. Look for Classifieds under General Forum.
Welcome to the family, enjoy your stay. Also, Mercedes are classes, not series! C-class!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM

2010 c300/2008 335i
Originally Posted by aamirani
There is a for sale. Look for Classifieds under General Forum.
Welcome to the family, enjoy your stay. Also, Mercedes are classes, not series! C-class!
thanks, my bad lol. *fixed* Like i said im used to owning a BMW. I actually knew that but just didnt think before i started typing

Last edited by funkedelic; 12-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 Black on Black
coilovers for slam
215 35 fronts
235 35 rears
Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
the fs section on here is nothing compared to e46fanatics or e90 post...(I used to be on there as well) there are just too many mbz when compared to the specific forums bmw has, with a MUCH larger enthusiast community as well
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
You should take an hour and go through the Owner's Manual. Sounds silly but worth every minute. Mercedes has this "special" (read some just plain dumb) way of doing things, like the auto speed stalk. Owning 3 BMWs at the time I bought a new 2010 C300, for a while I found sanctuary going back to the "3 and 8-Series.

But Mercedes is more into "set it and forget it", So read the manual, set things as you want them, and just drive. Actually much simpler than the BMW and certainly Audi, once you get everything adjusted.

As for the left-lamp warning, perhaps you have your light switch rotated full left instead of in the center. Full Left or one back from full left illuminates the left or right front and rear quarter lights, for when you park on a narrow lane at night (very European).
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
~ congrats on your new mb purchase... (maybe us coupe owners can aid)

i had been a bmw guy too ('00 323ci spt pk, '02 M3, '06 330i spt pk 4-door, '09 328i spt pk 2-door)... and made the leap without any regrets.

i like to make changes to my cars that are subtle and only noted by a real enthusiast... the clean look if you will.

i went with the eibach pro-kit (along with 5mm rear spring pads). the wheels are a cl63 replica wheel (19x8.5 f & 19x9.5 r).

cheers and please share pics as you make your upgrades!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM

C300, 330i, MDX
Welcome to MBWorld... For spoilers and diffusers, look up Eurotek, JBSpeed, Suvneer, SupremePower to name a few. I bought my clear sidemarkers (that i recently tinted) from ebay. For lowering springs, i got my H&R supersports from Tire Rack.

My wheel and tire set-up:
19X8.5 225/35 ET47
19X9.5 265/30 ET50
Continental Extreme Contact DW

Advanced Search is your friend in this forum... Happy modding!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM

2010 c300/2008 335i
Thanks for the welcome guys. Already bought a few parts. Will be parking the car until spring even though its s 4matic. The last owner has summer tires on the stock rims so its not very practical for winter. That gives me lots of time to get mods done!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
any condensation on the headlamps will be replaced by the dealer as long as you are still under the NEW car warranty. I got mine replaced (both) but a area manager was called first to get both of the lamps approved for replacement as the dealers have a specific protocol for the amount of warranty work they can do. Look closely on the other side and if there is a slight condensation on it have it also replaced. You will get new lamps, ballast when you get new headlamps as they won't salvage the components of the old lamps (hear that!? new bulbs!!!)

buy a set of winter wheels as the 4matic is really good on snow.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 12-20-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill

As for the left-lamp warning, perhaps you have your light switch rotated full left instead of in the center. Full Left or one back from full left illuminates the left or right front and rear quarter lights, for when you park on a narrow lane at night (very European).
It's the lamp out warning.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 AM

w203/01, W204/09
Originally Posted by funkedelic
I checked the bulb, seems fine, everything is opperating fine but the message won't clear up. Is there a way for me to clear this message without having the dealer do it?
Hi,

Welcome.

The indicator is a LAMP OUT indicator. However, the lamp itself may not just yet be completely ready to die, but it is on the edge. It may not light at all today, but this evening it may light just fine.

-Just have it replaced or do it yourself. Your dealer should not charge you anything since it's a 2010.

The message can't be cleared through any controls that you have.

And as someone else mentioned, take time to study the manuals. it will really help your disorientation.

Also, you may want to study tires. Not knowing what was shipped on your car, nor your driving style and conditions, I'm thinking this would be a worthy upgrade regardless.

-Alan

Last edited by alanedinger; 12-21-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 AM

2010 c300/2008 335i
Originally Posted by alanedinger
Hi,

Welcome.

The indicator is a LAMP OUT indicator. However, the lamp itself may not just yet be completely ready to die, but it is on the edge. It may not light at all today, but this evening it may light just fine.

-Just have it replaced or do it yourself. Your dealer should not charge you anything since it's a 2010.

The message can't be cleared through any controls that you have.

And as someone else mentioned, take time to study the manuals. it will really help your disorientation.

Also, you may want to study tires. Not knowing what was shipped on your car, nor your driving style and conditions, I'm thinking this would be a worthy upgrade regardless.

-Alan
Thanks for the info. I booked an appointment for the dealer next week. I want to know what is going on with it because the condensation in the headlight is really pissing me off. I hope this can all be done under warranty. Getting that headlight replaced would be awesome. I do know that the vehicle was in an accident back in 2011 but was under a lease. A front end collision that came up with a claim for about $6000. The car was under a lease at this point in time and was told that the car had to be repaired by MB themselves to keep the warranty on the vehicle. Is this true? On the report it didn't state who did the repairs on it.

I hope it isn't an issue when i take it in. I really don't want to drop money on getting a new headlight and i dont think i can live with constant condensation coming back again and again.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 PM

w203/01, W204/09
Originally Posted by funkedelic
Thanks for the info. I booked an appointment for the dealer next week. I want to know what is going on with it because the condensation in the headlight is really pissing me off. I hope this can all be done under warranty. Getting that headlight replaced would be awesome. I do know that the vehicle was in an accident back in 2011 but was under a lease. A front end collision that came up with a claim for about $6000. The car was under a lease at this point in time and was told that the car had to be repaired by MB themselves to keep the warranty on the vehicle. Is this true? On the report it didn't state who did the repairs on it.

I hope it isn't an issue when i take it in. I really don't want to drop money on getting a new headlight and i dont think i can live with constant condensation coming back again and again.
Well, genuine Mercedes parts would be warranted.

Sounds like the housing was cracked in the collision. It was probably hard to detect--until now.

The question is, was this replaced during the repairs... Sounds like not.

-Alan