C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help with reverse camera.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Help with reverse camera.

I bought a reverse camera and a fakra "e" cable on ebay. I followed all the DIY installation on reverse camera and I can't seem why I can't get my reverse camera to work. I plug in the camera to the TV and it works. But when I plug it to the head unit, all I see is blank. I put the HU into SRVC and tried to turn the video AUX on and off but still nothing happen. I turn off the car and leave it off for a while and come back to try it and still nothing. I rewire the camera first into the reverse light and then i switch it to the 71 fuse. I tried every method i know. Is there something that I am missing? I don't have a VIM, I have an Ipod intergrated. Please help me.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 AM

W204 C350
if u set to reverse gear what happens with your screen...????

nothing.....or comes a blackscreen.....????

maybe not right cam.....maybe you follow one more time the rear cam threads for engineering settings.....
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM

c300
When I set it in reverse, its a blankscreen, all i see is something like check all surrounding areas. I'm not sure what's wrong. I'm thinking it might be the fakra cable i bought? probably its defective.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM

W204 C350
you maybe check one more time the power (12V) connection......post a foto of your work (connection)

you follow this (thx white46)

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...der-200-a.html
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM

08 C300 4MATIC
Sounds like video FAKRA cable issue if you can get it to work to TV. Get one from mid-city engineering for $22 plus shipping.

Usually it's a power issue.
  • I used an add-a-fuse from Autozone to connect to fuse 71. Make sure you connect/splice the camera power and reverse acc switch wire to the add a fuse wire.
  • Put the blue 15 amp fuse 71 back into your add a fuse.
  • Lastly, splice into a brown ground wire....
Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C350
Im having somewhat of an issue myself with the reverse cam. I do not have VIM and the power/ground cords come out where the head unit is with the RCA cord. so basically the +/_ and the RCA (female) are at the back of the radio, i have my Fakra cord for the RCA to fakra adapter but I dont know where I can get power from in the back of the head unit...

what im asking is, can I splice my 12v camer cord to anything in the back of the head unit?

Last edited by almac04; 02-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM

2011 W204 C300 mm pano
One of the 12v the ciger lighter or the one in the glove box
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM

C350
Unhappy

ok, so I have ran all wires and plugged the fakra into the back of the OEM head unit and its like I havent done anything at all. the monitor runs as if nothing is plugged up to it, I have the 12v power spliced with the #71 port on the fuse box in the trunk and the ground to the frame, the video cord is going directly to fakra which is in the back of the head unit... when I go into my settings i dont even get an option to to enable a reverse cam... I dont know whats up...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM

C350
Exclamation

ok, so i spoke with Mini-City and they explained to me that i would more than likely need a VIM. I recall from other threads that VIM may not be necessary if you run a contiued power source to the cam but COMMAND would need to know what to do once in reverse, hence the need for the module... The guy that I spoke to also stated that the price on that module is roughly $449... thats crazy! if anyone knows of a VIM unit for a better price please let me know... thats VIM 204P
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM

2010 C300 4matic Special Edition
Originally Posted by almac04
ok, so I have ran all wires and plugged the fakra into the back of the OEM head unit and its like I havent done anything at all. the monitor runs as if nothing is plugged up to it, I have the 12v power spliced with the #71 port on the fuse box in the trunk and the ground to the frame, the video cord is going directly to fakra which is in the back of the head unit... when I go into my settings i dont even get an option to to enable a reverse cam... I dont know whats up...
Couple of things to check:
Firstly you do not need a VIM if you have the flip-up screen.

Did you set the reverse camera option in COMAND before you plugged the camera in, and did you wait a few minutes with the key out of the car before trying to access the camera screen in reverse gear?

Do you get the "check surrounding areas" when you go into reverse?

Was there already a FAKRA cable in the back of the COMAND unit? If so did you de-select AUX video in the engineering menu?

If you didn't enable the camera option in the engineering menu before installing the camera, you could try and put the original FAKRA cable back in (if there was one), disconnect the camera and then set up COMAND to enable a camera using the SRVC setting. When you have the correct reverse screen, continue with the installation.

Good luck
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM

C350
there was no FAKRA cable in the unit before install, when i go into the video settings there is no option for aux video or even an option to enable back up cam. I will unplug it and then try again, its a bit cold out so it may be a few days before i get the opportunity. I will keep you all updated.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM

there was no FAKRA cable in the unit before install, when i go into the video settings there is no option for aux video or even an option to enable back up cam. I will unplug it and then try again, its a bit cold out so it may be a few days before i get the opportunity. I will keep you all updated.
Just to be clear: there was no option to enable a back up camera in the engineering menu which you accessed using "hang-up, 1, #" held down together and maintain pressure until you could see the engineering menu?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM

C350
thanks for the help getting to the engineering menu, I enabled the option but that still didnt help the situation...

i will have to go into the back of the HU again and unplug and re-plug the cam to see if that will help any... I may splice the 12v cable with the reverse lights. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM

thanks for the help getting to the engineering menu, I enabled the option but that still didnt help the situation...

i will have to go into the back of the HU again and unplug and re-plug the cam to see if that will help any... I may splice the 12v cable with the reverse lights. Any suggestions are welcome.
Do not splice the power cable into the reversing light as this will not provide enough "clean" power (your screen may flicker).

Did you go further into the engineering menu (maybe page 3) and select the SRVC setting for the camera, and do you get the "check surrounding..." message when in reverse gear? If both of these are o.k., maybe you should check the power connections of the camera.

When I did mine I had a problem with the power connection because the exposed part of the stranded wire was too small to make a good connection. I had to strip back more insulation to get enough exposed copper to make a good connection.

You will get it to work, it's just a question of finding the problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM

C350
ok, GOT IT!!! Eureka! I went back into Engineering mode, then disabled the video aux then re-enabled it. put in reverse and vwola! i have clean power from slot 71 on the fuse box, running a 25 fuse. im gtg. Thanks guys...
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 PM

bmw
Sounds like video FAKRA cable issue if you can get it to work to TV