C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

NOT another generic iPod/Aux thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 4MATIC Sport
NOT another generic iPod/Aux thread

I apologize in advance for the long post but I want to make sure I give as much information as possible...I've been trying to solve this problem for a few months now and haven't made any headway.

I have a 2010 C300 4MATIC Sport, P2, Multimedia, and iPod integration. I recently purchased a 5th Generation 16GB iPod Nano that I want to play via the iPod cable in the glove compartment, but when connected it always says "Device Incompatible." The Aux In cable that is attached to the same interface in the glove compartment works just fine, it's just the iPod cable that doesn't work. I've also tried my iPhone 4, an original iPod mini, and a 30GB iPod, none of which work and which all prompt a "Device Incompatible" message.

I recently took my car to the dealership to have them look at the suspension and took home a courtesy 2013 C250. My iPhone 4 and my iPod nano worked perfectly with the iPod connection (in the center console for this model).

Does anyone know if this is/sounds like a software issue or a cable issue? My cable is the one with the black tip, which I believe is the newest version (as opposed to the white-tipped one). I guess it is possible, yet seems unlikely, that the entire iPod integration system needs replacing (I've tried iPod models going back as far as 2004, and all the iPods have the most updated software for each one.) Also, does anyone know if I can order the newest iPod interface cable and replace my cable with it, without replacing anything else or updating any software, if there are any software updates past what I have in the first place?

Thanks again for reading all of this and for your help!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM

2001 E320 4-Matic
I'm interested in what you find also. I have a 2010 E550 w/P2 and have the same issue with my Gen 5 iPod. "Device Incompatible".

Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM

Update:

Took it into my local dealership (MB of Oklahoma City, not where I bought it) and asked them to look into it. After looking at about a half-dozen things, the Master Tech asks if this is aftermarket. I tell him it shouldn't be, that's the way it was when I bought it from the dealership (MB of Warwick, RI). Out of curiosity he swaps it out with an interface cable they had and it works perfectly!

So basically I'll be calling MB of Warwick and having them explain to me why they put an aftermarket cable on my car when it was supposed to come with the OEM interface.

MPR2007, I doubt this is what the issue with your cable is but it might be worth a check. I wouldn't have ever guessed mine was aftermarket seeing that it wasn't supposed to be.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
It doesn't mean your original cable was aftermarket. Apple continues to change the pin configuration on the devices. My first cable had a white connector. The newer version has a black connector.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
It doesn't mean your original cable was aftermarket. Apple continues to change the pin configuration on the devices. My first cable had a white connector. The newer version has a black connector.
This is very true. However, the Master Tech at my dealership has looked at the cable and said that it is not an OEM part and is in fact aftermarket. Also, I've tried the cable with a variety of iPods with production dates ranging from 2004-2010; despite the pin config, one of these would match.

Regardless, using an OEM part solves the problem, so I'll be going with that.