C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Just curious.. Rolling back odomoter.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 turbo benz
Just curious.. Rolling back odomoter.

I was eating at a burger joint and overheard someone talking about getting caught for rolling back their miles on a lease.

I was curious, how does the dealership find out if a car (that has been driven for under 20k miles has been reversed 5k miles) has been rolled back? I'm sure there are a lot of variables, but I'm just interested to know who does the inspections for them & if they do a routine check for such a thing before a turn in on a lease.

tl;dr: Yes, I'm asking about something shady..but would you care to explain how odometer rollback works on newer vehicles and if it's possible to go undetected.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
It's a felony to do it and very easy to get caught. Like you said...to many variables. Carfax, mileage pinpoints in the vehicle ECM vs what odometer reads or has read, service reports etc etc...All the technician has to do is plug in and talk to the cars ECU and it will tell him all kinds of good info
Old 03-02-2013, 04:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W124, W203, W204, W251

Take a look at this video. You'll see that it's not so hard to roll back the odo when you got all the tools.

Is it possible to go undetected?
I would say "no" for car dealers and "yes" for the buyers. Every time you renew your vehicle registration, it will go into carfax database and if the latest mileage is lower than the earlier one, it will show "possible odo roll back" on the report. Plus, like HotelCrazy said, you can look up mileage in control modules. If they don't match the mileage on odo, it's a telltale sign of fraud.