C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

GPS in Drives Sun Visor Good or Bad Idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
GPS in Drives Sun Visor Good or Bad Idea

Instead of spending money on changing or upgrading my Audio 20 to a GPS unit in my 2008 C350, I saw this on the Benz forum and thought this was a great idea since I never use the mirror on my drivers side sun visor and it has a power source already and stops charging when the cover closes. What you think.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Interesting idea.
The only issue I can see is that the visor is not in the drivers line of sight as much as with a dash or windshield mounted unit. Also, since it is even closer than other mounting methods, your eyes work a bit harder focussing with the near/far transitions between outside world/dash/GPS. Otherwise, looks pretty nice if you don't miss your light and can make it a clean install.
Of course, when you want to see street signs and signals, it may be a bet problematic as well.
lol....the more I write, the more little issues I think of....
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
It looks nicely integrated, but I don't know about functionality.
It will only charge when opened and You'll be looking up instead of on the road like a woman trying to put on make-up (no offense to women).
Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM

2008 C350
I am going to try it out. A new Visor mirror group is only $30 to replace. I figure if I can hear the GPS telling me where to go and look occastonally at the screen its worth it . plus I am making my removable for updates and to use it outside the car function if i need it. Well its hidden and no wires for power and is always there to access . I will let you folks know how it goes. Think Garmin Nuvi 3790T super thin( like an iphone)
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The only positive I see is the slickness of the installation. The negatives are the extreme refocussing of your eyes and loss of view of the road, even peripherally. Also, that is about the last thing I would want in line with my forehead and eyeballs in a frontal impact. It is quite possible, even with an air bag deployment, that the kinematics will have your face in that trajectory. And, with your attention diverted to that screen, the chances of a frontal impact with the visor down and open will be even greater. Think about why visor mirrors have covers!!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Sportstick
The only positive I see is the slickness of the installation. The negatives are the extreme refocussing of your eyes and loss of view of the road, even peripherally. Also, that is about the last thing I would want in line with my forehead and eyeballs in a frontal impact. It is quite possible, even with an air bag deployment, that the kinematics will have your face in that trajectory. And, with your attention diverted to that screen, the chances of a frontal impact with the visor down and open will be even greater. Think about why visor mirrors have covers!!
So after posting on here I went for a drive on my lunch break and turned the visor towards the windshield enough so the plastic flap that says Mercedes roadside assistance was still open and the light above was still on and my view from the windshield was clear no obstruction and i could look forward at the road and slightyly up and see the mirror in full view No problem. The point is the GPS is not going to be in use all the time . No cables hanging around and taking up cigarette ligher space, no can see you have GPS unit to steal. I hear all the good and bad and thats what I asked for so thank you. I will try it out and worst case I re-install the mirror. Garmin nuvi 3760T or 3790

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
It looks nicely integrated, but I don't know about functionality.
+1

Kind of awkward if you ask me, but if it works for OP, more power to you, I guess.