C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Scary noise - Belt slippage, dreaded trans. TC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 sport 4matic
Exclamation Scary noise - Belt slippage, dreaded trans. TC?

Yesterday morning I replaced both upper and lower pulley's, belt tensioner, and belt. I replaced the belt with a Gates K060947 Multi V-Groove Belt. Amazon said this was a direct fit - a reviewer also claimed this belt fit his m272 w203 perfectly. Amazon did list two Gates brand belts, I thought it was odd that they had two different Gates belt that fit. I did notice the new belt's grooves weren't as deep. But it did fit.

Later that day (I drove roughly 60 miles parked the car, then this happened) I pulled into a gas station, filled up, then I started my car. I was in a bad mood and quickly threw the car into drive (usually I let the engine run for at least 10-30 seconds for whatever good that may do), I did NOT push the gas pedal. Then I heard this noise. Kind of sounded like a motor cycle engine revving quickly, then it faded. zzZZZZRRRMMMmmmm. I immediately stopped the vehicle -- WTF. I wasn't sure at that point whether it was my vehicle, or someone else driving by. I left the parking lot, pulled up to a light. I was in the wrong lane and needed to move over quickly before the next light. I accelerated at almost full throttle to the next light, when I let off the gas pedal I could hear that same noise as it was fading away. This terrified me now. Was this the sound of my torque converter or transfer case going bad!?

I recently (over 1000 miles ago) serviced my transmission. So today I put the car up, and thoroughly inspected all areas of the transmission for a leak. Nothing.

I don't know what a belt slipping sounds like. Does a slipping belt make a zzrrrmmm noise?

Thanks,

Troy
Old 03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Sounds as if the serpentine belt has not the same grip on the pulleys as the original belt when the engine accelerates & wants to accelerate the auxilliary gear.The load is too great therefore slippage. Change it the to OEM & see.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by tpdietz
Yesterday morning I replaced both upper and lower pulley's, belt tensioner, and belt. I replaced the belt with a Gates K060947 Multi V-Groove Belt. Amazon said this was a direct fit - a reviewer also claimed this belt fit his m272 w203 perfectly. Amazon did list two Gates brand belts, I thought it was odd that they had two different Gates belt that fit. I did notice the new belt's grooves weren't as deep. But it did fit....
Carsey is correct. If the grooves were not as deep, it could not fit properly. I thought the belts have a code number that describes all the specs. It could be right for the W203.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 sport 4matic
I appreciate the responses guys. Tomorrow or Tuesday I will put the original belt back in place and see if this noise comes back. Since the noise I've been very cautious with the vehicle. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to drive her hard again (after the old belt is installed).

Does the noise I described sound like belt slippage to anybody?

Thanks again,
Troy
Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I have never heard a modern serpentine belt slip as they they are designed not too.

The older loosely adjusted V belt can let out a loud screech when the engine is accellerated harshly.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
The correct belt for our cars is K060945 according to gates website. I never trust amazon to tell me a part fits on my car