C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Kivic One -- You guys heard of it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63s AMG
Kivic One -- You guys heard of it?

Hey everyone, there is a sweet product coming out that lets you AirPlay to basically any car that has component or 3.5mm input. So all of us W204 people out there that have the command prior to streaming bluetooth, this is perfect for you.

I'm a beta tester for the product, but it should be out in summer for around $250 they tell me.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C350
Looks like it works sweet, but if you can't really AirPlay video, this seems like it doesn't do anything more than what the Blackberry Remote Gatewa,y that most of us use here for about $20.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM

2016 C63s AMG
Yea didnt include that in my video since I don't have it set up for that. But you can AirPlay video and mirror. It has HDMI out for video and can also do component video out! Plus this supports AirPlay, wifi direct and many other streaming standards.

Also the benefit of this is that it ISN'T Bluetooth, so you can stay connected to your cars Bluetooth and keep those capabities, plus AirPlay uses less compression, this better quality audio.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM

'09 C350
But how would you airplay to the Command screen? Also, the BB adapter I'm using pauses the music when a call comes in so there's no interruption or loss of Bluetooth capabilities. It might be worth it if it somehow was able to connect to the Command Screen.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 AM

2016 C63s AMG
That's what I'm saying, with the current command that we have you can't AirPlay video, but you can AirPlay audio. And as far as the calls, I know that it will pause and so on, but you lose the function of the dedicated answer and hang up buttons in the car along with the call details on the screen. Important to some but not others. I just like this product because you don't lose any functionality as opposed to the Bluetooth where you do.

To each his own ya know.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by vipsa
Looks like it works sweet, but if you can't really AirPlay video, this seems like it doesn't do anything more than what the Blackberry Remote Gatewa,y that most of us use here for about $20.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Sounds good, I'm a potential buyer
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 PM

2016 C63s AMG
They're supposed to be sending me an updated hardware soon that will also offer some more features too. I'll try to keep updates posted here. As far as I know they are the first to offer this kind of solution that allows you to airplay without a router and still have the data connectivity over your phones network while connected.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 AM

2011 W204
Hi there. There is another vid which shows mirroring ability using Kivic One... i wonder how would one hook up the unit to the back of our car's audio headunit... here's the vid:

Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 AM

C300
So what is everyone using if you have an Iphone right now.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM

C250 2012
Originally Posted by JPc300
So what is everyone using if you have an Iphone right now.
Been using kivic one since beta. Using latest firmware now and works excellent.

Mirrors iPhone 5s screen using airplay and audio goes from the kivic one to my radio via the aux in the center console.

I'm connecting it to my radio using a video interface that I also use for rear camera.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 PM

'09 C350
Originally Posted by tsktsk
Hi there. There is another vid which shows mirroring ability using Kivic One... i wonder how would one hook up the unit to the back of our car's audio headunit... here's the vid:

http://youtu.be/TD5PEoy10Uk
Ok awesome. Now we need instruction on how he connected the Kivic to the screen. Did he use component cables? If so how? Doubt he used HDMI. I thought our headunits did not have video inputs on the back.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM

C250 2012
Originally Posted by vipsa
Ok awesome. Now we need instruction on how he connected the Kivic to the screen. Did he use component cables? If so how? Doubt he used HDMI. I thought our headunits did not have video inputs on the back.
Read my previous post. Using a multimedia video interface that goes between the head unit and the screen. Also using it for the read view camera as it has 2 video inputs and a rear camera input.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM

BMW
Is there a US based vendor for this KIvic One?

I have searched and searched and can't find anyone US based selling this. For the two Beta testers on the thread, where did you get them? I know you can buy direct from China, but I'd rather deal with a US vendor, if possible.

The support at Kivic gave me phone numbers (LA Area) that have no voice mail and simply ring forever. Not very incouraging if this is the "support" one might get in the future.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-13-2014, 01:05 PM

C250 2012
I ordered straight from the manufacturer in korea i believe. You can contact them on their facebook page. i havent had any problems with my kivic at all. i emailed them asking about updating the firmware to the latest one and they send me instructions and has been rock solid!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 PM

BMW
Thanks Carlos.

My primary interest in the Kivic is to mirror specifically traffic type apps (Waze) for example. Is there any reason to believe that this will not work for that purpose?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 PM

C250 2012
Originally Posted by keithhe
Thanks Carlos.

My primary interest in the Kivic is to mirror specifically traffic type apps (Waze) for example. Is there any reason to believe that this will not work for that purpose?

Thanks,
Keith
It will work perfect for that, in fact i use the same sometimes. The only downfall is that the phone screen is mirrored so the phone screen itself has to be on, so a car charger will come in handy. Another thing is the audio, the audio will go through the kivic one so you will need a way to plug it into your car, I use the aux input of my car to route the kivics audio from the phone.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:04 PM

BMW
Thanks Carlos.

What you wrote concerns me, a little. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the Kivic has two possible outputs. 1) HDMI which currently has virtually no automotive applications, although eventually I expect that will become more standard 2) The other I thought was a 3.5mm AV jack which I assumed would be the video and left and right channels composite?? Is that not the case?

I have three possible AV in possibilities. The standard composite RCA In's in the rear, and a 3.5 jack on the front. If I wanted, there is also a camera in for the rear that I don't intend to use, so could purpose for this, but then no audio that way.

Hopefully that is the case, then I would simply use the Kivic 3.5, assuming it is audio and video, converted to composite RCA for the rear of my HU.

Power to the Iphone is no problem, as I have multiple 2 amp USB ports in my car. Running an energy hog like Waze I really always have it plugged in.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-14-2014, 04:39 PM

C250 2012
Thanks Carlos.

What you wrote concerns me, a little. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the Kivic has two possible outputs. 1) HDMI which currently has virtually no automotive applications, although eventually I expect that will become more standard 2) The other I thought was a 3.5mm AV jack which I assumed would be the video and left and right channels composite?? Is that not the case?

I have three possible AV in possibilities. The standard composite RCA In's in the rear, and a 3.5 jack on the front. If I wanted, there is also a camera in for the rear that I don't intend to use, so could purpose for this, but then no audio that way.

Hopefully that is the case, then I would simply use the Kivic 3.5, assuming it is audio and video, converted to composite RCA for the rear of my HU.

Power to the Iphone is no problem, as I have multiple 2 amp USB ports in my car. Running an energy hog like Waze I really always have it plugged in.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Keith
Hi Keith, sorry for the confusion. Yes the kivic has HDMI and 3.5 video/audio outputs. I was just letting you know that you would need to purpose one of your audio inputs for this. Also, how are you planning to connect the video from the kivic to your screen? I had to use a multimedia interface and tap into the screen, the interface added rear can input and 2 video inputs. The audio goes in through my aux connection using 3.5mm stereo.

I set the audio on the radio to aux then I use the (return) button to switch the screen to the multimedia interface video input. Essentially the radio is still running it's original screen in the background while the interface takes over the video of the screen.

Let me know if you have any other questions, it's a bit confusing explaining on here.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 PM

BMW
Hey Carlos,
Perhaps the confusion is that although I'm on this forum, I don't have a MB, nor the same radios you folks have. I came to the forum through searches that found this thread, and several of you guys were Beta testers, so that was of particular interest to me. I'm not clear what the inputs are on your folks cars.
I have a full audio/video composite RCA input on the rear of my HU, as well as a camera video input on the rear. On the front I have a 3.5mm full audio video input as well. My plan would be to use the rear AV composite by converting the 3.5 mm Kivic to RCA via a cable. That should work fine and would be back wired to where I stash the Kivic so all completely out of sight.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 PM

C250 2012
Hey Carlos,
Perhaps the confusion is that although I'm on this forum, I don't have a MB, nor the same radios you folks have. I came to the forum through searches that found this thread, and several of you guys were Beta testers, so that was of particular interest to me. I'm not clear what the inputs are on your folks cars.
I have a full audio/video composite RCA input on the rear of my HU, as well as a camera video input on the rear. On the front I have a 3.5mm full audio video input as well. My plan would be to use the rear AV composite by converting the 3.5 mm Kivic to RCA via a cable. That should work fine and would be back wired to where I stash the Kivic so all completely out of sight.
Ah that makes perfect sense now. The kivic already comes with the cable that goes from the 3.5mm to RCA yellow, white and red so with your head unit you are all set. All you would need is a regular RCA cable to extend to the back of your head unit. I ordered the kivic straight from the manufacturer with no problems.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM

BMW
Thanks again Carlos !!

I appreciate all the info and will order direct. How long did the shipping take?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM

C250 2012
Thanks again Carlos !!

I appreciate all the info and will order direct. How long did the shipping take?
If i remember correctly it wasn't more than about 2 weeks. i'm not sure if they are still shipping straight from manufacturer like when i ordered.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 AM

BMW
Carlos,

I did order the Kivic Monday night, about 9 PM EST or so. It is being delivered today (Wednesday). That's from Incheon Korea, by the way, to Northern Virginia. Stunning efficient shipping with these guys and think Bezos might learn a thing or two from them.

I wonder if you can tell me what firmware you have, and how to check when I get mine?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM

C250 2012
Carlos,

I did order the Kivic Monday night, about 9 PM EST or so. It is being delivered today (Wednesday). That's from Incheon Korea, by the way, to Northern Virginia. Stunning efficient shipping with these guys and think Bezos might learn a thing or two from them.

I wonder if you can tell me what firmware you have, and how to check when I get mine?

Thanks,
Keith
I have firmware 1.04 on mine which is the latest. When you plug in your kivic to a video display it will show you on the screen the firmware version it is running and your WiFi name and password to connect to with your phone. 1.04 should be the one that comes on yours as you have a newer one than mine which is already about 8 months old.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kivic One -- You guys heard of it?