C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Humming sound from rear 09 W204

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Question Humming sound from rear 09 W204

Just got the car about 2 weeks ago and I've been noticing a very low key humming sound coming from the rear tires. It gains pitch when I accelerate and goes lower when I slow down. Is more like running snow tires on summer but only from the rear. All 4 tires are the same brand and size. The mechanic said that he checked the bearings and all looks good. I am running Hankook Tires and I am wondering if this tires are known for this kind of noise. Is there anything I should look for? My mechanic and I are puzzled.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try rubbing your hand over the tires and feel if they are uneven? I had a set of bridgestones on my E that wore down unevenly because one of the control arms needed replacing. After I replaced the control arm, I rotated the tires front to back and after a bit of driving they eventually wore even again. I was tempted to turn off ESP and go do donuts in a parking lot to try and speed things up
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
For all MB's hype about the W204's sound proofing, the Michelin Primacy HP tires that came OEM on my C300 Sport (staggered sizes) allow so much NOISE in the cabin that on the highway passengers cannot be heard even when SHOUTING. Expect lots of noise between the W204's poor sound dampening and inferior tires. Noise seems to come into the cabin from right behind the rear doors as though the doors were open, several times I had even stopped on the highway to check if they were.

Check Tirerack.com for noise rating on your particular tires and size, read the owner reviews. Besides installing some Dynamat/fatmat soon, next tire change will definitely purchase the Michelin Super Sport's, as I will install a new set on the 19" rims on my M3 today.