C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Oil Filter Torque Wrench questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes C250 Sport
Oil Filter Torque Wrench questions...

Hello all, first post.

I will be doing my own service on my 2012 C250 (& 2004 Crossfire) and I've already purchased the tools and supplies I need but the only thing holding me back is torquing the oil filter on the C250. I'm a very careful person and so I want it to be just right when I torque the filter top back down.

First of all the C250 filter top says 24nm (Newton Meters) and the Crossfire's says 25nm.

I found a wrench by CTA (8940) which is a 25nm and also today purchased an adjustable 3/8 drive torque wrench at "cough" Harbor Freight, but it seems to be pretty nice.

Well I've read all over these and other MB forums that people say Oil filters need not be overtightened to prevent damage and leaks and many say they should be slightly tighter than "hand-tight".

Well I tested the CTA by locking it into a vice and turning it to see when the click will happen and WOW, 25nm seems pretty tight for an oil filter. This makes me want to set the adjustable for what 'feels' more right and go with that but of course this is why I'm asking you guys for help before I actually go for it. Thanks -Daniel

Last edited by musicbydesign; 06-12-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by musicbydesign
Hello all, first post.

I will be doing my own service on my 2012 C250 (& 2004 Crossfire) and I've already purchased the tools and supplies I need but the only thing holding me back is torquing the oil filter on the C250. I'm a very careful person and so I want it to be just right when I torque the filter top back down.

First of all the C250 filter top says 24nm (Newton Meters) and the Crossfire's says 25nm.

I found a wrench by CTA (8940) which is a 25nm and also today purchased an adjustable 3/8 drive torque wrench at "cough" Harbor Freight, but it seems to be pretty nice.

Well I've read all over these and other MB forums that people say Oil filters need not be overtightened to prevent damage and leaks and many say they should be slightly tighter than "hand-tight".

Well I tested the CTA by locking it into a vice and turning it to see when the click will happen and WOW, 25nm seems pretty tight for an oil filter. This makes me want to set the adjustable for what 'feels' more right and go with that but of course this is why I'm asking you guys for help before I actually go for it. Thanks -Daniel
Good day,

One persons tight is another persons loose!!

Fifty Bucks buys a cheap torque wrench. I paid $350 for mine .

I suggest you take it down to your local mechanic & ask him to check it against his .

The oil filter is depending on its O ring for sealing not the tightness .The tightness will stop it vibrating loose.

Let us know how you go.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 AM

2012 Mercedes C250 Sport
True, I sure don't want it vibrating loose.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't comment on the 250. But on the C300, there is a mark that aligns the screwed in filter body to the housing. When you re-install, and those factory marks line up, the filter is installed as it should be and you do not need a torque wrench.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:32 PM

2012 Mercedes C250 Sport
That sounds interesting, I'll have to look to see if I see such a mark on my version of the C-Class. Thanks NYCA and Carsy for the info.

Well, I did both the C250 & Crossfire Oil Change today and they both went well. I went slow as Christmas because of it being the first time I've ever been that 'handy' with automobiles but I know tools well and did 'lots' of studying and homework before going for it. It was enjoyable and I like knowing I did a good job instead of some kid at the kwikie lube or losing and arm & leg at the local MB shop.

For those who didn't know, the Chrysler Crossfire was a Daimler/Chrysler project and it shares much of what was the 2004 SLK-320. It was a very misunderstood car and it didn't sell well because (I think) people were stuck in the Sebring/Town & Country mentality. I really dig mine and it only has 9k miles on it. Anyway, if it wasn't really a Mercedes built vehicle I wouldn't mention it here at all.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great weekend.