C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Buying a High Mileage Used 2008 C300? Service/Known Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi
Buying a High Mileage Used 2008 C300? Service/Known Issues?

I found a nice 2008 C300 sport with premium package that looks to be in great condition and has 68k miles with a warranty until 100k. I assume that means no maintenance is free, just if something under warranty breaks I get it for free.

I don't know much about Mercedes, I'm a honda/acura/audi guy, but I would like to get this car for my girlfriend.

What can I expect in terms of known problems with the C300, especially at higher mileage? I know parts/service is expensive for this car, but are these cars pretty reliable with higher mileage or do they start having very expensive repair issues?

Any very large services required, soon, like belts etc that will cost $500+ or more. Do mercedes appreciate signficantly once past $100k?

Just trying to see if this would be a wise purchase for me. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Hopefully the car's service history is complete. Make sure that the transmission was serviced at 39k miles and that all software, like the audio unit and the 7G transmission TCU has its free update from MB.

There have been several recalls, most notable is the cam adjuster issue:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ssues-dtb.html

Mercedes should last if properly serviced, just sold a diesel with more than 200k miles running just fine.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Hopefully the car's service history is complete. Make sure that the transmission was serviced at 39k miles and that all software, like the audio unit and the 7G transmission TCU has its free update from MB.

There have been several recalls, most notable is the cam adjuster issue:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ssues-dtb.html

Mercedes should last if properly serviced, just sold a diesel with more than 200k miles running just fine.
Could you elaborate on the "free updates"? I'm not sure if they'd be willing to give out free updates without issues with the car. My warranty is up in August.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Agree about the transmission being properly serviced. As far as the TCU updates, that is usually included with a service at the dealer. If the car is under warranty, should be free. Obviously the OP's car will not be.

Personally I don't consider 68k miles as "high mileage" especially on a 5 year old car.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
We don't know enough about your girlfriend's interests to give you a good answer. If you were buying this for yourself, and knew the risks, one could rationalize that if the car were a good deal, and you understood the likely series of wear-and-tear replacements you are probably facing, all could be well. But, unless she is so strongly motivated by having this particular brand or car, and either you will be shepherding it back and forth for service/maintenance and or she will, and doesn't mind, I think you're asking for a potential problem.

If she is not strongly fixated on having a MB, her life would certainly be easier and more predictable with a new something else (more modest to equate the purchase price) with new car warranty, loaners, and all. What price range are you in? Also, you didn't share much about the warranty....is it through MB or an aftermarket company? What is included/excluded? Is it immediate coverage or pay and wait for reimbursement? Can she afford the maintenance or will you be picking that up?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Software updates are sometimes overlooked by MB SA's, here are three you should request for FREE with an "A" service, besides insisting that the VIN be run for all recall bulletins and insuring that these fixes have been performed on your vehicle:

1) ECU updates, last one for the 3.0L M272 engine was in 2011 as far as I am aware.

2) TCU updates, for the laggardly 7G-Tronic, actually improves performance until the Adaptive Learning kills the transmission's ability to perform intelligent shifts.

3) Audio20 Headunit - A newer version installed through MY2009 was subject to an update which gave the Engineering Menu a parametric equalizer among other improvements including better Bluetooth compatibility. NOT ALL pre-MY2010 headunits can be updated, and does not apply to the H-K Logic 7 system.