C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C230 4MATIC - Wobbles over Bumps - Tires or Suspension Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C230 4MATIC Sports Package
2009 C230 4MATIC - Wobbles over Bumps - Tires or Suspension Issue?

Hi MB drivers. I’m looking for some advice/opinions on my car's suspension/tires/handling issue.

I own a 2009 C230 4MATIC Sports Package with 54,000kms, purchased new in October 2008. I have the original Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires which I use for the summer (about 25,000kms of use and little tread wear), and also Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D tires for the winter (about 25,000 kms of wear).

I have noticed over the past 8 months or so, that my car exhibits a sort of side-to-side ‘wiggle’ when I go over any bumps no matter how small. This is just as noticeable at slow speeds such as backing out of a driveway on to the street, as it is drving on the highways over slopes in the road. If I am driving 5 kms/hour and hit a slight imperfection on the road, the car will exhibit a slight 'side-to-side' bounce. The car seems to handle better if I go over a straight speed bump (where both tires) are hitting the bump at the same time, but not if one tire is hitting first.

I had the car in to two separate MB dealerships, where the first one spent about 1.5 hours looking at all of the suspension in detail - they said everyihng looked fine and the suspension seemed tight. The 2nd dealership also took the car out for a drive, and their mechanic noted that 'the left rear shock was just a little more worn' than the right, but did not note that either needed to be replaced.

When I press down on all 4 corners of the car, things seem tight. There might be just a slight bit more movement in the back of the car than the front, but nothing very noticeable. The car is under extended warranty.

I am wondering if the wiggle that I feel in the car when driving is a tire problem? Or a suspension problem? My tires look to be in perfect condition, and will be 5 years old in October.

This is noticeable enough that it is bothersome to drive, so I was wondering if I should get a new set of performance tires? Or should I have the struts changed? I do not want to spend money for nothing if I don't really know the exact cause.

If there is anyone out there with a similar (preferably same vehicle) that has had a similar problem, I’d be appreciative to hear how you handled it or what kind of difference you noticed after maybe changing the tires and/or struts.

P.S. The car is babied, pristive, and has avoided potholes.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:47 PM

C230 Kompressor
Hi there,
I have a 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport. I experience the same isssus with the car wobbling over imperfections in the road. It seems fine on smooth surfaces. I had the suspension checked and replaced the rear tires as they were showing wear. The front tires are still in great shape.
Did you ever resolve this issue? I suspect a problem with the suspension but I don't want to spend the money and not get this resolved!
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 ML320 (W163)
I know it's a very old thread, but here's some information that may be useful for other users that may be experiencing similar issues.

Probably one or, most probably, both of your rear shocks absorbers are shot and lost all of it's eficiency.
Rear side-to-side wobble/wiggle when running over bumps or any other road imperfections is most caused by bad shocks.

Smooth driving and avoiding potholes may not be enough to make shocks last forever, or at least, longer.
Time is another important factor, and can make seals in the shocks brittle and leaky, even if the car is not in use.
As yours had 54,000km (about 34k miles) on it, if the shocks are the originals, they probably were gone already.

But to be sure, ask to a professional to properly diagnose your shocks.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM

06C280-4Matic
however it is a very old thread any you may also forgot how you solved your MB wobbling issue but if you remember please advise how you get it fixed because I am struggling with this issue now in a 06C280 4Matic.

Thanks