C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bluetooth Phone Quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10' C300 Sport and 07 Ducati S2R
Bluetooth Phone Quality

So, with my last MB, I installed a cartronics kit to enable bluetooth connectivity to my phone. That unit ROCKED. People were saying that they almost couldn't tell that I was wireless in the car... that they thought I had the phone up to my face.

With this 2010 300, I'm being told that the quality of the sound on the reciever's end is dog****. People can't understand what I'm saying, I have to constantly repeat myself, and I'm being told don't even bother calling them when I'm in the car. It apparently sounds like I'm in a tin can, in a far away land!!!

I'm concerned... I have a Samsung Galaxy III, and it connects perfectly... anyone else have the same problem? Is there any other way to connect a phone to the "system"... or is it purely through Bluetooth... help!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c250
i used both iphone5 and galaxy s4 on my 2013 c250 and had no bluetooth issues whatsoever

even with sunroof open going 70mph on the freeway didnt have much issues with talking on the phone with someone

and i'm connected via bluetooth, and use both phone and a2dp audio
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 AM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Same for me. People can hear me just fine, I think the Bluetooth audio quality is great.

I do remember seeing a setting in the Bluetooth setting (?) for Reception and Transmission volume. I wonder if the Transmission volume is set too low or needs to be boosted?

Without going down to my car and looking, I believe it's in the System Settings menu, Bluetooth, identify your phone and select options.... I think. I'm new with the car too but this is where I think the settings were. I have a 2010 C300. If it's not there, look around for it.

I hope this helps.

K
Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Every setting for transmission and reception volume is unique for every device, changing them on your own might make things a lot worse.

Settings for each device can be found here http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/
Old 07-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200 Estate Kompressor W204, 2018 GLA 220d
Originally Posted by vic viper
Every setting for transmission and reception volume is unique for every device, changing them on your own might make things a lot worse.

How typical that Australia is not represented there.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Doesnt matter, the settings are the same for all markets.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
My 2010 C300 Bluetooth is as clear and perhaps better than when I hold the phone. Back seat passengers can join in and are clearly heard. As an audio and sound professional I am impressed with the W204 Bluetooth. One of the few things I find exceptional about the C300 actually. Also easy and foolproof to use, once properly joined.

A suggestion is to un-pair your phone, then re-pair it and see if the link is improved. Sometimes the coding is misread, as in any secure wireless connection, and distortion and poor signal is the result. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300

Thank you for this and to the OP for creating this thread. I didn't know there was a setting for this as I too have issue with people hearing me and having to constantly repeat myself or speak louder. I have a Tmobile S4 and will try the recommended setting for it.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 PM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Call someone and ask them how it sounds when you're not driving of course. If it deteriorates, change it back. I would imagine this is a simple gain adjustment for the mic and a preamp adjustment for the audio. It's not like you'll ruin anything.

My 2¢.

K

Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10' C300 Sport and 07 Ducati S2R
I wonder if this is my phone... I have adjusted the settings per the website link above, and I'm being told it still sounds like crap. I think I'm going to try someone else's phone and call out... Or, maybe there is a setting in the bluetooth menu on my Android phone that I could adjust... really disappointing that I can't get this to sound right.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Did you try increasing the gain on the mic (transmission)? If it starts to distort, you can then decrease it back to the factory settings. It won't hurt to try. It might also be a great excuse for a new phone! My Motorola Razr Max HD is an awesome phone and works fine. Really like the red C by the way. Great color. Black interior? Good luck.

K
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM

None

Vic Viper...thanks for that link. It left me with an overall question: once a phone is paired with the car via bluetooth (iPhone 5 in my case), does the MB's system automatically adjust its audio settings to that phone?

The same question would apply to an iPod, which resides in my armrest and is connected via the MB's provided cable. Does the car automatically adjust any audio settings to a specific connected media player (i.e. iPod)?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
No, transmission and reception volume must be edited manually.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM

2016 C300 4Matic Sport
Each device can be edited manually and the system will retain the specific setting for each device. If you have a phone that needs more mic gain than another it will use the individual settings based on the BT ID. My Razr Max HD and my wifes Razr are treated as different devices with different gain settings.

Originally Posted by Go Navy
Vic Viper...thanks for that link. It left me with an overall question: once a phone is paired with the car via bluetooth (iPhone 5 in my case), does the MB's system automatically adjust its audio settings to that phone?

The same question would apply to an iPod, which resides in my armrest and is connected via the MB's provided cable. Does the car automatically adjust any audio settings to a specific connected media player (i.e. iPod)?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM

None
Here is the exact path to these settings, from MB's site, for the C class 2012 model year. Presumably they would apply to adjacent model years as well? I have the Comand system and this applies to that system.

Pres TEL key on dash, or select Phone > select Phone application in the lower left corner of screen > Connect Phones > my phone (or your phone name) > reception/transmission volume > select optimum value for each > select back function.

In the case of my ATT iPhone 5, recommended transmission volume is minus 1; recommended reception volume is minus 2.

I hope this is helpful. I haven't got into my C350 yet to give this a try. By the way, I don't seem to be having any trouble with my cellphone in the car, but I want to check these settings just the same.