C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

I have a EIS failure... is there a TBS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
Unhappy I have a EIS failure... is there a TBS?

Well,

Last week our beloved c220 left us stranded at a Dennys parking lot late at night. It was embarrassing since I had just handed the keys to a friend to show him the Benz and when he tried to start it it would not turn.

I had to leave the car there overnight and was not until next morning that I got it to start. Since then it has been giving us problems so I call the local dealer and they gave me an appointment for next monday.

Anyways, I have read that this is a very costly and a very well known issue with the w204. By this time I am sure MB knows about it, so my question is, have they issued a TSB about this problem? Is there something I could print and take to the dealer so that they will see that is a common issue and hopefully have MB cover it. Should I be concerned that this part, when I it gets replaced, eventually fail again in the future or has MB corrected the problem?

My 2008 C220 has just reached 60,000 Klms. We have had it for about 4 months now... We are very concerned and disappointed.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:04 PM

C300, ML 320, 190E
I would be interested in a TSB as well for this. I own 2 C300's and although I have not had these issues (thank God), I want to be prepared when/if they arise. Thanks
Old 08-03-2013, 12:01 AM

None
Give us a break! What's an "EIS" and what's a "TSB"? Knock off the jargon and communicate and it'll help the rest of us.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
electronic ignition switch & techinal service bulletin??.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA45

Last edited by mb techman; 09-23-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
If your car is properly serviced goodwill will help you depending on model year year and mileage
Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I would respectfully ask what "properly serviced" means in relation to a EIS failure except that you have already paid the dealer a lot of money . Take that as a statement rather than a question.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Carsy
I would respectfully ask what "properly serviced" means in relation to a EIS failure except that you have already paid the dealer a lot of money . Take that as a statement rather than a question.
I believe what he means, which is true, is that a car continuously properly serviced at an MB dealership over the course of its life will receive additional goodwill consideration for putting on warranty items which MB is not obligated to treat in that manner...past the mileage or date limit, for just one example. They may (and have) picked up the parts cost, while the loyal customer only pays labor. The reality is that not all customers are treated the same, and my SA has also told me specifics of repairs MB has picked up for loyal customers, which would not happen for someone who just shows up for the first time with an older car.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Thanks Sportstick. Am I correct in saying that 2008 is a bad manufacture year for EIS failure ?

Is this an Australian car , ie a 220CDI. Pity folks can't fill in their location.

Last edited by Carsy; 08-05-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Add
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I believe what he means, which is true, is that a car continuously properly serviced at an MB dealership over the course of its life will receive additional goodwill consideration for putting on warranty items which MB is not obligated to treat in that manner...past the mileage or date limit, for just one example. They may (and have) picked up the parts cost, while the loyal customer only pays labor. The reality is that not all customers are treated the same, and my SA has also told me specifics of repairs MB has picked up for loyal customers, which would not happen for someone who just shows up for the first time with an older car.
Couldn't have said it better myself, but the goodwill system is very consistent and does not treat any customer differently, however the dealer himself could pay for the repair if you're a good customer. The dealer won't get any funds from Daimler if he chooses to do this.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM

CLA45

Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 AM

None
I'm astonished at this wishful fantasy that an MB dealer is going to treat certain customers differently because of loyalty or regular business. I think most American dealers are all business and completely unsentimental, and such a thing would never happen. I also suspect that whatever dealer's employee who is actually looking at your service record has no authority to make such decisions....that is, granting free services.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM

CLA45

Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Go Navy
I'm astonished at this wishful fantasy that an MB dealer is going to treat certain customers differently because of loyalty or regular business. I think most American dealers are all business and completely unsentimental, and such a thing would never happen. I also suspect that whatever dealer's employee who is actually looking at your service record has no authority to make such decisions....that is, granting free services.

I hope I'm wrong.
Respectfully, you are quite incorrect. My SA described several individual cases where he and or the SM would contact their regional MBUSA tech rep. They would discuss the case, and they know to prepare the service history, as the tech rep always wants to know if the service history of the vehicle was performed at an MBUSA dealership. The SA has observed that this factor appears key in deciding how much goodwill help to offer.

None of this is sentimental, but just good business sense. They are keeping loyal customers satisfied as much as they consider reasonable, while not expending resources on opportunists who drop in only with an occasional or major problem looking for unwarranted help. Have you never experienced the concept or reality of the "baker's dozen"? You paid for 12, but the good businessperson throws in the 13th......same psychology.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Carsy
Thanks Sportstick. Am I correct in saying that 2008 is a bad manufacture year for EIS failure ?
I have no data, but reading anecdotes, it does seem 2008 is most afflicted. Could be because they are older, and the same fate will catch up with later models, or an issue was found and corrected at some point later on.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 AM

CLA45

Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by mb techman
i like my comparison better, at least with mine you get buzzed not fat
Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM

None
it happens. again every dealer is different and they will goodwill something at their discretion.

the service advisor will go to the service manager and they will look at all the information and make a decision based on it.

why would they extend the same courtesy to someone that bought a used mb off a used car lot, had all their work done at an indy shop and now wants something free at the dealer as opposed to someone who bought 1 or maybe several cars from the dealership, had alot of warranty and/or customer pay work done by the dealer. you dont want to lose that person as a client for future service work or sales potential.
I understand the business logic and think it's great; my background is business and I'm a pro-business person. I just hope it proves to be real at my local MB dealer. This is my first MB so I have no experience with that company and its dealers. I hope the car proves to be relatively trouble free, since MBs traditionally had a reputation for reliability. The other luxury brands I've owned are BMW and Acura. Never got any such treatment from those dealers despite using their service departments whenever necessary. Staff were always great but nobody was giving anything away, except maybe a free wash job.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM

CLA45

Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
one thing i tell everyone is, never get the first model year of any new model.

there are always alot more bugs in the first year something is released. tons of bulletins to rectify the issue. wait for the 2nd or even 3rd year release. most likely you wont have to deal with any of the concerns the previous year owners had to deal with.
Correct again, and there is good data to prove this. There are very few vehicles where the launch year c/100 measure was an improvement over the previous generation exit condition. The second year may be optimal, as the Product Planners typically start de-contenting by the third year of a program as they need to improve margins in the face of increasing incentives for the aging model.