C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Luxury vs Sport Headrest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2013 | 03:54 PM

2013 C250 sport
Luxury vs Sport Headrest

I'm having such a difficult time confirming this. I read ONE post on benzworld (post #21)..haven't seen a claim like this anywhere else.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...version-3.html

This person says the headrests in the luxury version are softer. I am under the impression that the seats are the same between the two versions, including the headrests.

Can anyone who has ridden in both confirm a diff in headrests? I only ask because it might be nice to swap out headrests, since my seating position relies a lot on resting my head against it.

thanks!
Old 08-04-2013 | 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I have not checked, but this is highly unlikely. What many call a "head rest" is in fact a "head restraint" and is designed to prevent rearward hyper-extension of the neck. It is not intended for resting a head during driving, although some use it that way. Given the shared platform and same crash pulse for Sport and Luxury, the occupant would be expected to move rearward in a rear impact at the same rate in either model. Therefore, the head restraint would have the same task, which is measured by g force readings for an instrumented dummy head and strain gauge on the neck. Consequently, it is more likely that they are the same, even if the surface trim varies.
Old 08-04-2013 | 07:38 PM

2013 C250 sport
I'm pretty sure it's someone being sour about the differences in sport and luxury, and threw in the head restraint comment. Maybe the luxury version of the car felt more comfortable to them, so they thought the head restraint was softer..lol.

I'm 99% sure that the seats are the same, in every aspect. It would be ridiculous to throw in softer head restraints as part of the luxury version. In theory, it sounds kind of feasible, but in reality, I think we all know that the interiors are the same, except for the steering wheel, and the standard wood trim on the luxury - which BTW I have on my sport, AND I like the steering wheel better on my car (amg style with the widened bottom). I plan on getting some Continental DWS tires and be done with it.

(I am trying to add a bit of comfort to the sport, but I still love it for what it is.)
Old 08-04-2013 | 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by djejglk
I'm pretty sure it's someone being sour about the differences in sport and luxury, and threw in the head restraint comment. Maybe the luxury version of the car felt more comfortable to them, so they thought the head restraint was softer..lol.

I'm 99% sure that the seats are the same, in every aspect. It would be ridiculous to throw in softer head restraints as part of the luxury version. In theory, it sounds kind of feasible, but in reality, I think we all know that the interiors are the same, except for the steering wheel, and the standard wood trim on the luxury - which BTW I have on my sport, AND I like the steering wheel better on my car (amg style with the widened bottom). I plan on getting some Continental DWS tires and be done with it.

(I am trying to add a bit of comfort to the sport, but I still love it for what it is.)
If you're in the ultra high performance all season tire category, which is where DWS is classified, hold off until you read more about the new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3.....just launched and may have leapfrogged the class. If you're really trying to just add comfort, check out Grand Touring All Season tires.
Old 08-08-2013 | 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
In the 2013 loaner cars I have had the luxury version head restraint is entirely different than the sport. Indeed, nearly pillow soft.
Old 08-08-2013 | 07:56 AM

2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
I test drove luxury only once but believe the headrest is the same as in sports (year 2011). Only difference could be the seat bolster, kind of remember it's flatter (less sideway support) in luxury. Don't know about 2013 at all.
Old 08-08-2013 | 02:57 PM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
In the 2013 loaner cars I have had the luxury version head restraint is entirely different than the sport. Indeed, nearly pillow soft.

Did you notice any other difference in the seat, or was it just the head restraint?

Only reason I ask is I'm about to take it in to an auto upholstery shop to have the thigh bolsters "loosened up". They feel a little to tight and high for my thighs, especially when I relax my left leg into position.

Do I need to have them disconnect the battery before removing the seat to avoid an SRS error????? Please advise if anyone knows this

Last edited by djejglk; 08-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2013 | 03:40 PM

07 w221 s550 4matic
I will trade my black leather luxury for the sport ones. If i remember correctly the sport ones sit lower.
Old 08-08-2013 | 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by Sportstick
If you're in the ultra high performance all season tire category, which is where DWS is classified, hold off until you read more about the new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3.....just launched and may have leapfrogged the class. If you're really trying to just add comfort, check out Grand Touring All Season tires.
Going ot a bit but if you were considering either of those tires then one should consider the contisportcontact 5p or PSS instead.
Old 08-08-2013 | 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Knightmare69
Going ot a bit but if you were considering either of those tires then one should consider the contisportcontact 5p or PSS instead.
Possibly...depends where one lives. Those are summer tires and of limited use in many areas were early Spring and late Fall have temps in the mid 40s or below. The supposed breakthrough of the AS3 is summer tire performance in an all-season tire. Early reviews are encouraging but it's likely top of the UHPAS segment in any event. If you live in Florida or SoCal...never mind!!
Old 08-08-2013 | 11:12 PM

2013 C250 sport
I live in Dallas, TX. Not much snow at all, maybe a freeze for a few days out of the year. Doesn't rain much either. Mostly dry weather. I'm thinking the DWS would be the best bet from what I've read. Thoughts? (My priority is quiet and comfort, with performance being second, and not lacking )
Old 08-08-2013 | 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
I live in Dallas, TX. Not much snow at all, maybe a freeze for a few days out of the year. Doesn't rain much either. Mostly dry weather. I'm thinking the DWS would be the best bet from what I've read. Thoughts? (My priority is quiet and comfort, with performance being second, and not lacking )
If there is no snow and you don't get much freezing then you want the DW, not DWS. DW= Dry/Wet, DWS= Dry/Wet/Snow
Old 08-09-2013 | 11:15 AM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by Knightmare69
If there is no snow and you don't get much freezing then you want the DW, not DWS. DW= Dry/Wet, DWS= Dry/Wet/Snow
I looked into those, but it does snow, albeit very very little. And when it does, it's a doosie. It usually freezes for a couple of days sometime in Jan or Feb. I would hate to have to change tires for what is usually a handful of days out of the year. Dallas has very strange weather sometimes. BUT, yes, 95% of the time it's dry or wet only. I don't want to be caught on the road those 2 or 3 days it freezes.
Old 08-09-2013 | 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I looked into those, but it does snow, albeit very very little. And when it does, it's a doosie. It usually freezes for a couple of days sometime in Jan or Feb. I would hate to have to change tires for what is usually a handful of days out of the year. Dallas has very strange weather sometimes. BUT, yes, 95% of the time it's dry or wet only. I don't want to be caught on the road those 2 or 3 days it freezes.
The more I read your thoughts, the more I think a Grand Touring All Season tire will please you the most......look at the top five here.....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS
Old 08-09-2013 | 04:55 PM

2013 C250 sport
The more I read your thoughts, the more I think a Grand Touring All Season tire will please you the most......look at the top five here.....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=GTAS
Sportstick, thank you for the input!!! I actually considered this range of tires.

The problem I'm having is with fitment. I would love to get the Continental Pure Contact with eco plus, but I have a sport/staggered setup- 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear. I don't wan't the hassle of changing the rear rims to match the fronts.

The eco's come in my size for the front, but not for the rear. Isn't there some sort of compatibility scheme that can substitute tire sizes for rims? Maybe one of the other sizes they offer will still fit on the rears, but I'm not sure

edit: so I just looked at a few tire conversion charts. I realize the speedometer will read slightly off, but here is the real question....

Is it safe to put 225/45/17 tires on the rear of the c class sport (oem size of the rear is 245/40/17)?

Last edited by djejglk; 08-09-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2013 | 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Sportstick, thank you for the input!!! I actually considered this range of tires.

The problem I'm having is with fitment. I would love to get the Continental Pure Contact with eco plus, but I have a sport/staggered setup- 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 rear. I don't wan't the hassle of changing the rear rims to match the fronts.

The eco's come in my size for the front, but not for the rear. Isn't there some sort of compatibility scheme that can substitute tire sizes for rims? Maybe one of the other sizes they offer will still fit on the rears, but I'm not sure
Check the 1010tires.com website for confirmation using their calculator. You can put 225/45-17 on all four rims, even with the rears being staggered (7.5 wide front, 8.5 wide rear). I believe you will see 8.5" is the max rim width for that tire size. You will not find any change in the car's behavior with four same size tires, unless you take it to the track for extreme maneuvers.
Old 08-09-2013 | 05:40 PM

2013 C250 sport
Check the 1010tires.com website for confirmation using their calculator. You can put 225/45-17 on all four rims, even with the rears being staggered (7.5 wide front, 8.5 wide rear). I believe you will see 8.5" is the max rim width for that tire size. You will not find any change in the car's behavior with four same size tires, unless you take it to the track for extreme maneuvers.
Thanks! I think it's gonna be 225 45 17 all around!