C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How to set AC default to recirculate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-CLass w204
How to set AC default to recirculate?

Hello,

I need to know if there anyway to make the air-con default to recirculate when I start the car. It defaults to outside air ... any way to program this setting?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
Probably not what you want to hear, but....I've read that most manufacturers recommend not using recirc to often. "Fresh air" is good, or some crap like that. I, personally, like having recirculate on, it makes the a/c run colder IMO.

A default setting of 'off' is probably not doable. Much like the eco start/stop can't be set to off by default (if you have that). I had a glk for a while, and the first thing I would do would be to turn eco off every time I started the car!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C250 4Matic
Originally Posted by mrmarie
Hello,

I need to know if there anyway to make the air-con default to recirculate when I start the car. It defaults to outside air ... any way to program this setting?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
This option is "max A/C" as per some manufacturers. Meaning the car is recirculating and cooling that same air instead of cooling new air. You cannot default to this and you don't want to. Proper steps when it's hot is to drop all windows and sunroof, get in car, fire up the A/C, roll up windows and cool the air down. Then flip on re-circulate for a while and make the car cooler if needed. Fresh air is good for you and the car. Recirculate is good when driving through a lot of debris, smell, etc.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM

2013 W204
Originally Posted by dolvio
Fresh air is good for you and the car. Recirculate is good when driving through a lot of debris, smell, etc.
Do we still get fresh air driving around the city? Don't you hate the combustible fumes from Grandpa's old car in front of you in the traffic? Ah...finally away from the city but wait...what the f*** is that strong smell in the freeway...is that a Dairy farm
Rubber tires wear out, where do they go?
Air Recirculation button is a must push each time I start the engine. At least for me.
My Bimmer is intelligent enough to auto shut off the vent when it detects foul smell. Well basically you'll get your share before it does
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
It cannot be allowed to default to recirc, as the innatentive driver can't be subjected to breathing in increasing amounts of their own exhaled carbon dioxide. You can use the control for temporary relief of outside odor or faster cool down, but it will always return to the normal setting by design intent.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 AM

2010 C300 & 2014 E350
Push the "recirculate" button instead when you first turn on your AC and it will work immediately when you turn on your AC
Old 08-11-2013, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Originally Posted by Sportstick
It cannot be allowed to default to recirc, as the innatentive driver can't be subjected to breathing in increasing amounts of their own exhaled carbon dioxide. You can use the control for temporary relief of outside odor or faster cool down, but it will always return to the normal setting by design intent.
+1

It is a safe feature.

Last edited by Samaral; 08-11-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: adding comment