C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My w204 C300 4Matic transmission is bad. Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Same issue transmission beSring

My transmission and transfer case bad. Just had quote 6600$ from dealer!!! 60000 miles[/B]. I called mercedes. They blew it off.
Originally Posted by babyboxer1
ggms, I'm sorry to hear about your issue and your bad luck. It almost seems like every day, another 1 or 2 of these issues gets posted. What would it take for MB to consider a possible recall on these vehicles? I understand MB is not a non-profit organization, so naturally they'd push back, but clearly there's a pattern of these transmissions failing way too soon, and with the same symptoms. Still, there's got to be a way for this to be considered as a possible recall. Thankfully, it's not an issue that can cause bodily harm or worse death, but I believe because of that, it also won't get the attention it deserves.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM

C300
C300 transmission bearing

I was told can cause bodily harm. Can heat up and cease. [/U]
Originally Posted by Sgaldieri
My transmission and transfer case bad. Just had quote 6600$ from dealer!!! 60000 miles[/B]. I called mercedes. They blew it off.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Three MB's: GLK, ML & E - Class with Panam Grill
4MATIC whining noise

Just received a quote of $7,200 from MB Dealership. same whining noise for the past 6 months while they fiddle with it. started at 52,000, did transmission service at that time since I never knew about the 40,000 transmission service. Dealer used only 6 quarts as noted on the receipt, noise got slightly better but now with chucking noise slower that the wheel turn based on the dealer it is connected to the same issue. anyone jknows what could that be since it is slower than the wheel turn? same syptoms like everyone else no noise if car not moving just when above 30 mph regardless what gear the car is in or even if i shut-off the car while driving.

it is 2010 and out of the 5 year CPO warranty while still within the 62500 Mileage limits, dealer gave me goodwill for $5,200 but i still have to pay $2,000.

Anyone with soild case to CALL corporate, any TSB, or heard MB program for the customer to pay $600 for these failing 722.9XX transmissions?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:20 PM

anyone ? or am i the only one battling with these in-sane 722.9 transmissions???
Old 08-29-2015, 02:03 PM

2010 C350 4Matic
Iv got the 2010 C350 4matic. Picked it up about 8 months ago from a private sale. Heard a slight humming noise so I had the sale conditioned on an inspection. It was around Christmas so lots of things were booked and I ended up taking it to a sub par shop which told me everything checked out fine and the noise was just the passenger side front wheel bearing. Perfect. Took a couple hundred off the sale price and locked it up. When I took it into the shop to get the B service I told them to replace the bearing as well. They did ($400) then called to tell me the noise was still there. I obviously paid them to look over everything and the first thing they checked was the transmission. Whine of death. Need new tranny for 6500! I'm wondering if i leave it will it be a danger to me and the car or will this problem stay as just an annoying noise?
Old 08-29-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by KyleHa32
Iv got the 2010 C350 4matic. Picked it up about 8 months ago from a private sale. Heard a slight humming noise so I had the sale conditioned on an inspection. It was around Christmas so lots of things were booked and I ended up taking it to a sub par shop which told me everything checked out fine and the noise was just the passenger side front wheel bearing. Perfect. Took a couple hundred off the sale price and locked it up. When I took it into the shop to get the B service I told them to replace the bearing as well. They did ($400) then called to tell me the noise was still there. I obviously paid them to look over everything and the first thing they checked was the transmission. Whine of death. Need new tranny for 6500! I'm wondering if i leave it will it be a danger to me and the car or will this problem stay as just an annoying noise?

I would first do a transmission service at the dealer with the right ATF. you don't know if it was service at the 39K. ask them for a complete flush which will be shown as 9-10 quarts on your receipt not just 6 quarts. see if you are lucky that the noise will go away if it just started.

I heard it may overheat and cease...i'm not sure how true that is, but when it gets louder it means it's going down ...till the cause is eliminated.

I also heard that the cause is a design flaw inside with not enough oil circulating path to cool the transfer case that makes it starve, overheat its bearing and pit the race and roller bearing. so it is not going to get better. The $6,500 is not for a new tranny but rebuilt. new tranny is $7,200 just for the unit, plus labor, oil, misc. parts, taxes and will be close to $9,500. I'm going through the same battle on mine just 6 month out CPO warranty & 52,000.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:17 PM

C300 4Matic luxury
Wow, I thought I was the only one. I just started hearing the whining noise couple month ago. The dealer at first changed the front breaks and the rotors, but then they realized the issue was in the transmission. Luckily they didn't charge me for the break work since it was a misdiagnosis from their part. Then they came back with a quote of 7800 dollars to change the transmission and the torque driver. I contacted MB to see if they can help me out since my car just came out of Warranty with 4K miles above the set mfg warranty (44k miles). They said they would work out a deal with MB dealership. They came back and offered 20% of the repair cost which is nothing as I still have to come up with little over 6000 dollars for the repair. At this point I am not sure how to proceed to fix my 2011 C300 Luxury AWD car.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:38 PM

Well...I think i'm headed for MB Remanufacturered Tranny and Torque Converted with 2 year/24 month warranty within a week...waiting for the the dealer to get back to me with a date.....as he said the MB Remanufacturerd unit are like new those they replaced never came back with the problem...hopefully that secret mysterious faulty part has been addressed....will report back when it is all done. It is insane, rediculous...but lesson learned never buy a car like MB without an extended warranty anymore...unless you opt for Kia or Hundai that already come with 100K miles powertrain warranty.... 1960's MB reliability, and bullet proof engineering are long gone....now that on my carfax it will show transmission replaced, that's another hit that i wil lhave to take with I sell it.

Wonder, if Acura, Lexus, BMW's or Audi are as good as they cost for my next car.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
Originally Posted by rjz2177
Well...I think i'm headed for MB Remanufacturered Tranny and Torque Converted with 2 year/24 month warranty within a week...waiting for the the dealer to get back to me with a date.....as he said the MB Remanufacturerd unit are like new those they replaced never came back with the problem...hopefully that secret mysterious faulty part has been addressed....will report back when it is all done. It is insane, rediculous...but lesson learned never buy a car like MB without an extended warranty anymore...unless you opt for Kia or Hundai that already come with 100K miles powertrain warranty.... 1960's MB reliability, and bullet proof engineering are long gone....now that on my carfax it will show transmission replaced, that's another hit that i wil lhave to take with I sell it.

Wonder, if Acura, Lexus, BMW's or Audi are as good as they cost for my next car.
WELL for a person that knows Mercedes who is interested in buying yours will be relieved knowing the tranny with transfer case was replaced.
I had my c300 transmission replaced by Mercedes but what bothers me is that they do not replace the torque converter.
yes the remanufactured transmission is superseded with many many improved parts .
I put around ten thousand miles on my new tranny .
so far so good.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:26 PM

If the Torque Converter is the issue it will change noise pitch when you rev the engine on N driving or parked or P. But this is not the problem that we all consistently have - whining/humming while driving above 30 mph +/- regardless what gear you are on, N or P, even if you turn-off the engine while driving the noise stays the same and dosen't change. It is only dependent on the rolling speed which above 70 +/- mph will get overshadowed and gets undetected by the wind/road/tires normal noise.

How do we know that the cause of this issue has been identified and it is resolved with the Re-Manufactured units. Did they add a label on the body of the Remanufactured units? like a three digit number to distinguish remanufactureed units from the original ones.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 PM

2010 C350 4Matic
Just wanted to update here on my situation. I contacted Mercedes Canada, complaining about the problem and the cost and asking if they could do anything to help out. They contacted the dealership which just got back to me today saying Mercedes was willing to cover 50% of my repair costs. I highly recommend emailing mercedes corporate about the problem to anyone else before you pay full price for the repair!
Old 09-14-2015, 11:43 PM

Just got mine done last week and paid $1,553. They covered the rest of the $7,200 as a goodwill for a Remanufactured Trans. & Torque Converter. They will never give you brand new Trans. unless your cover 100% of the cost which will be upward above $10K.

Mine was 6 months out of warranty but within the 60K miles CPO Warranty limits, serviced regularly at the dealer along with my other Benz which helped. Ask for Goodwill and talk nice with your Service Advisor and escalate to Service Manager up to the Branch Manager to get the best deal.

Now the whining/humming noise is gone, drives and shifts nice, BUT... I have strange snapping noise like someone kicked the car if I kick down on the gas pedal for a second while parked on N or P, engine rev to 2000 rpm and on its way back to idle around 1200 rpm half a second later, I feel this kick/snap. I'm not sure if that is normal or if I had it in the old Trans.

its like strong spring snapping back to its resting position. Anyone has an idea what could that be now ?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by KyleHa32
Just wanted to update here on my situation. I contacted Mercedes Canada, complaining about the problem and the cost and asking if they could do anything to help out. They contacted the dealership which just got back to me today saying Mercedes was willing to cover 50% of my repair costs. I highly recommend emailing mercedes corporate about the problem to anyone else before you pay full price for the repair!
I had the same problem on my 2010 C350 4matic as well. And it turned out the noise was because the bad transmission bearing. I have my mechanic replaced the bearing with aftermarket one since MB was asking $8000 for the whole transmission replacement.
The bearing only cost $200+. But make sure the front crack shaft seal is good when your mechanic was changing this for you. Because last time my mechanic wasn't realize that and caused my transmission oil was leaking and smoking on the highway!!!

Anyway, now the noise is completely gone and the seal's good. Not sure if noise issue will come back again or not.... I like the car, but it just feel really nothing you can do when it's having some problems.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM

"front crack shaft seal is good" you mean the side drive shaft from the Transfer case to the front differential ? that little rubber boot about 2"-3" wide?

the other driveshaft is the main that goes to the back from the rear of the Trans.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:31 AM

I think you are right, not sure about these terminologies. Here's the invoice I have from the mechanic.

Originally Posted by rjz2177
"front crack shaft seal is good" you mean the side drive shaft from the Transfer case to the front differential ? that little rubber boot about 2"-3" wide?

the other driveshaft is the main that goes to the back from the rear of the Trans.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM

Not to sure if the leak is the root cause for all these failures. Mine parks in the garage, same spot for almost 5 years now. Not one drop of oil on the floor, eventhough the old Trans. was little sweaty on the outside, but usually oil sweating is normal till you start seeing drops on the floor. I would think if Transmission oil is low, Trans goes in limp mode, and you'll get issues in shifting. Mine drove and shifted perfectly. Just the whining /humming noise.

It seems that all failures - 4 roller bearings and their races but yours had the planetry gear & transfer gear too - are caused by oil overheating / starvation which points to a defect in proper oil recirculation and for oil cooling inside. I read somewhere that some Trans. Shop widens the recirculating oil orifice path to/from the Transfer case when re-building these 722.9xx. Hopefully the MB Remanufactured Trans. adressed the root cause, but it may never be public to avoid offical recall to be made. When ask the Dealer he told me that the ones they replaced about 3 years ago, never came back with an issue.

Let's hope it is true BUT now the Thumping noise i'm getting in my new one if revved abruptly up to 2,000 rpm and on its way back to about 1200 rpm I hear & feel a THUMP.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 305 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
What trans is in these cars...5 or 7 speed?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SICAMG
What trans is in these cars...5 or 7 speed?

Mine is 4 matic, 7 speed
Old 09-17-2015, 04:05 PM

7 speed 4MATCI. Specifically it is the 722.9xx 7G Tronic 4MATIC. No problems in the RWD. It seems the problem starts in the transfer case starving for oil or oil overheating, than metal shavings spread out all over in the transmission creating more damage.

7G Tonic Plus used post 2012-2013 - hard to tell when and on which vehicles - may have addressed some of the issues....maybe all but I haven't read of problems about those here yet....maybe too early to tell.

my thumping noise now that i have when engine revs while parked on the new Trans. is puzzling me...but indications are that it may be related to the Lock-Up Clutch Adaptation that the dealer may not have reset/synced properly since they also replaced the Torque Converter.

Just hate to have too many hands messing with it. Before i take it back, any ideas will be greatly appriciated.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 PM

C300 4Matic
I have an '09 C300 4MATIC with 96,000 miles and this same problem. Whining/whirring sound related to vehicle speed, not RPM. Becomes evident at about 25mph. Car shifts fine. Dealer said it's a bearing in the transfer case and the whole trans needs to be replaced (approx. $6,500). I hope to find a reputable indy shop nearby for a second opinion.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:02 PM

2013 C300 4Matic Sport
I have a 2013 C300 4Matic with just over 30,000kms and I think I'm experiencing the same issue:

- Metallic whining noise
- Increasing in pitch (slightly) and loudness as the car accelerates
- Noise is certainly audible from 60kms/hr and is unmistakable at 100kms/hr and faster
- Noise location sounds to be coming from the centre front of the vehicle - as if from behind the stereo / climate controls.
- Engine revs do not affect sound in any way, only axle rotation (driving/moving)
- If the car is colder the noise is louder, but remains even after car has warmed/been driven.

I have had wheel bearings go in a previous car so I know what that sounds like, and this is not that sound.

I'm assuming this would still be covered under my warrantee (still has balance factory warrantee + CPO warrantee). I have an appointment in 2 weeks with my local MB dealer to diagnose it and will report back my experience.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by wOOge
I have a 2013 C300 4Matic with just over 30,000kms and I think I'm experiencing the same issue:

- Metallic whining noise
- Increasing in pitch (slightly) and loudness as the car accelerates
- Noise is certainly audible from 60kms/hr and is unmistakable at 100kms/hr and faster
- Noise location sounds to be coming from the centre front of the vehicle - as if from behind the stereo / climate controls.
- Engine revs do not affect sound in any way, only axle rotation (driving/moving)
- If the car is colder the noise is louder, but remains even after car has warmed/been driven.

I have had wheel bearings go in a previous car so I know what that sounds like, and this is not that sound.

I'm assuming this would still be covered under my warrantee (still has balance factory warrantee + CPO warrantee). I have an appointment in 2 weeks with my local MB dealer to diagnose it and will report back my experience.
Wow, you're probably the first one ever to report the same failed transmission symptoms on a 2013 with the 7G Tronic Plus. Well this does not make any of us feel safe anymore from 2008-2014...
Old 01-10-2016, 04:44 PM

2013 C300 4Matic Sport
@xEryx: Perhaps a prestigious honour... one that I wish I didn't have.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2014 CLS63 S AMG
Originally Posted by wOOge
@xEryx: Perhaps a prestigious honour... one that I wish I didn't have.
It sounds like a transfer case fail, luckily you're still under warranty so I would have it diagnosed and replaced asap. I would also extend the warranty if possible if you plan to keep it for a while. My fiance 2010 had the same symptoms and had her transmission replaced.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:31 PM

2013 C300 4Matic Sport
Update: I took the car to my MB dealer to confirm the noise is an issue with the transfer case/transmission and the tech was able to confirm it via a ride along.

Next step is to take the car back to the MB dealer for my formal service apt in 2 days where the full diagnosis will be rendered and a solution proposed.

I'll keep this thread updated with my experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My w204 C300 4Matic transmission is bad. Again