C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My C Class - Pomponazzi 880XX Coated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C200 AMG Edition
My C Class - Pomponazzi 880XX Coated

Hi Everyone,

I've been a regular visitor to MBWorld for quite sometime but only just recently joined.

I just wanted to say hello and share a couple pics of my car that has just been coated with Pomponazzi 880XX Nano Glass Coating recently.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C300, 93tt RX7, 88RX7 Vet, 83RX7
More info please
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM

2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport
Yeah, what does this coating do? What is it? How much to install?
Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Would also like to know about it. And is it available in the US?
Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
It is a liquid that is applied like a wax/polish.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 PM

2013 C200 AMG Edition
Sorry guys for the lack of info. Anyway, here you go:

http://www.pomponazzi.com/eng/

This liquid glass coating has been around a couple of years but more popular in Asia than in western countries. Glass/polymer coating is increasingly becoming popular with new car owners this side of the world. We get a fair bit of UV, acid rain, bird droppings, dust etc in our environment here and so many car owners want to add extra protection to that new car gloss from day one.

Basically, my car has had 2 coats of new 880-xx (just released) liquid quartz glass applied (the whole process with curing took around 10 hours). Its a pretty tough coating as I can try and scratch the surface of the car with my nails but it will not scratch. The manufacturer says the coating lasts up to 5 years with the correct maintenance but the sole distributor here said more likely 3 years considering the conditions and climate here. I haven't washed my car for 2 weeks nows and its still quite clean considering there has been quite a few days of rain. When it rains the water just beads and just fly off the car (at speeds >40mph) taking away most of the dust and dirt on the car. The coating fully cures in 7 days which is when the first wash can be done. Its then another 2 to 3 weeks before the coating fully adheres to body paint and the effect will be much deeper and glossier, much like a mirror effect. So in a another week or so, the gloss on my car should be even richer than in the pics. Maintenance is easy, I either go back to them for a car wash and after they apply 'Balsoo', another liquid used to enhance/protect the effect of the coating, or I get a bottle of Balsoo and do it myself after washing the car. Frankly though, I'll let them do it because they only charge 10 bucks for a wash and Balsoo application. I've read on the web where some have said this product is fake etc but I can assure you that is not true. The shop here has had Lamborghini, Ferrari and other expensive cars do the coating. Here is their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Pomponazzihk?fref=ts

The damage was about US$750 (with 15% group discount) and this included a deep clean of the car (and polishing if required) before applying the coating to all the glass, body, mirrors and wheels. Not a bad deal because some of the Japanese competitors here were charging over US$1000. I think the product has reached the US though I am not sure where in the US. But if anyone wants to try and do the coating themselves, I can talk to the owner here and see if he is willing to ship the product to the US.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:26 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Sounds like the equivalent of Opti-Coat here in the US. Basically a new, permanent layer of clear coat. That's why it's so spendy overall because you need a full detail/correction to remove imperfections before applying the sealant.
They have a less permanent version called Opti-Seal which I've used on newly polished headlights and it works quite well. Much easier to work with vs the Coat, which is only recommended to be applied by pros. I will use it on my paint when I get around to polishing and waxing.

Last edited by Doanster; 09-14-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E300 Sedan, 2013 C350 Sport Sedan, '99 E320
wow looks great!!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
im going to have my friend john at exclusive auto detail put on some opticoat 2.0 on my car when i have it detailed...well see how it looks
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM

2013 C200 AMG Edition
Originally Posted by anxx3
wow looks great!!
Thx anxx3. I do really like the mirror effect. On a darker colour car, its even better.

Originally Posted by prznskillz
im going to have my friend john at exclusive auto detail put on some opticoat 2.0 on my car when i have it detailed...well see how it looks
Post some pic please when its done.

Originally Posted by Doanster
Sounds like the equivalent of Opti-Coat here in the US. Basically a new, permanent layer of clear coat. That's why it's so spendy overall because you need a full detail/correction to remove imperfections before applying the sealant.
You're right that it is a job for the pros cos there was no way I could have done it myself! I had a look at Opti Coat before but we don't have it here. There was Meguiars deep crystal coating, a DIY job which takes around 4 hours but I'm just too lazy to try it. I've had a few stone chips hit the bonnet and windscreen pretty hard, and all I can say is that this quartz coating is pretty tough because I could see any chip marks.

Last edited by Cosinav; 09-15-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:46 AM

Mercedes benz c350 sport
your car is sparkling! reminds me of opti coat as well....never seen a coating like that on a white car ! i think ima pull the trigger soon
Old 09-16-2013, 05:25 AM

2013 C200 AMG Edition
Originally Posted by EuroJDMBenzo
your car is sparkling! reminds me of opti coat as well....never seen a coating like that on a white car ! i think ima pull the trigger soon
Thx! Pull the trigger and you won't regret it! It just makes the white standout so much more. What I like most is that it helps the car stay cleaner for longer. Where I am, most people live in apartments and so its not like we have access to a drive and water hose where we can wash the car whenever we like. I don't like car wash machines as they'll mess up the paint work and going to a hand car wash every week @ 15 bucks a time adds up to a lot in the long run. BTW, nice ride there!