C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C 250 Lag- best solutions anyone ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
C 250 Lag- best solutions anyone ?

Im a new C 250 owner and I really enjoy the over all car, good MPG with good performance on the road at speed , quiet and comfortable but still a little sporty. This is my first car with a turbo so I need all of your best advice.....in the past Ive owned Infiniti G 37s, M 45 , Lincoln LS, and now the 2012 C 250.

Ive used the search to read about tuners and such but have not seen any clear solution to minimizing the amount of lag that seems to be inherent in the C 250.

Ive found "Sport" mode helps a little and anytime Im going to jump on it I pull the shifter to the lowest gear it will allow and then accelerate, if the rpm are above 3000 the lag is minimal IMO.

What if anything do all of you do or use in your driving style or aftermarket parts to improve / minimize the lag when you start from a stop light or at a steady cruising speed and "floor it" and it has that lag for both the transmission to downshift and the turbo to run up.

Thanks for any ideas, I drove the C 300 and obviously it did not have the lag since it is not Turbo but I went with the C 250 because of the mileage and it is doing great for my 140 mile daily commute avg 31-34 and as I said I like the overall car a lot.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Be interesting to see what changes you can make to the turbo or software. I don't notice any turbo lag on any of the modern turbos (including ours). Nothing compared to old Saabs anyway....

The "lag" I notice is the transmission in default Eco mode - LAZY!. Pressing the Sport button clears that up.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive what I drive
Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes to reset the adaptive transmission learning curve. After you reset it, drive it like you stole it by making the car downshift as fast as possible. Eventually the tranny will learn your driving style and rid of SOME of the lag.

Also, burgertuning.com JB+ Tune helps a lot too. I virtually have no lag with this tune.

Also - learning to drive the car will help you know when to press on the gas. This car takes some seat time to drive correctly.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by C230Kompressed
Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes to reset the adaptive transmission learning curve. After you reset it, drive it like you stole it by making the car downshift as fast as possible. Eventually the tranny will learn your driving style and rid of SOME of the lag.

Also, burgertuning.com JB+ Tune helps a lot too. I virtually have no lag with this tune.

Also - learning to drive the car will help you know when to press on the gas. This car takes some seat time to drive correctly.
That is a great suggestion, I recall on my Infiniti that was how you set the ECM t o allow it to learn your driving style. So the C250 can also do that.

ive put 4000 miles on the car and I really like it but it is a CPO that was a loaner for the fiirst 5000 miles of its life so maybe it just needs to relearn parameters

Thanks !
Old 09-20-2013, 01:02 PM

I drive what I drive
Keep us updated. This car is super nimble and torquey when you get it on right. Check out some dyno sheets too so you can see the power curve and what rpm's this car should be at when you are punching it.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:30 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Keep us updated. This car is super nimble and torquey when you get it on right. Check out some dyno sheets too so you can see the power curve and what rpm's this car should be at when you are punching it.
Thanks again, one more question .. when I disconnect the battery will i loose all the settings like sat radio, tpms, ect and will they just reset after driving for a bit?
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 PM

I drive what I drive
You will loose all presets on your radio and such. The TPMS will reset after about 5 minutes of driving. - But this is how you will know that the tranny settings were reset. When you disconnect the battery, also hit the brake pedal about 10 times to get rid of any left over electricity in the system. Be sure to leave it disconnected for atleast 10 minutes or more.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:21 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Ive read about the Burger Tuning JB+, seems like there are mixed reviews, Im familar with piggyback tuners from my motorcycle experience. Do you feel it was $ well spent?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:37 PM

I drive what I drive
The JB+ tune does have some mixed reviews in regards to having safe/limp mode kick in and your ECU disabling the power from your car.

The chip comes set to a default setting that burgertuning recommends. The tune pushes about 21PSI from stock 16PSI when it is set to 60%. Climate, elevation, driving conditions all take account into why your car might go into limp mode, even at the default setting from burgertuning. Since there is a knob that you can turn, if your car does go into limp mode, you drop the tune down to 50% and test it there. You can keep going down if needed.

This does this to the car because the ECU still has a boost level cut off, so if it reads that the car is spiking in PSI above a certain limit, it will put your car in safe mode until you shut the car off and restart it. The default setting on the tuner is safe for a majority of the c250s.

My car is currently set at 70%, 10% higher than the default tune, and I have not hit limp mode yet. I am considering raising it to 80% to test it out and see if my car can handle the power.

In my opinion, it changed my car's driving characteristics drastically. "Economy mode feels like Sport mode...and Sport mode feels like crack" said the prior owner of my tuner LOL. Which is 100% accurate. I also bought the burgertuning intake as well, which makes the spool sound so lovely, and the blow off valve is audible from inside and outside the cabin.

The tune is worth every penny but you have to be hands on when needed. The install/uninstall is 5 minutes and is easy to hide under the hood.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:07 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
The JB+ tune does have some mixed reviews in regards to having safe/limp mode kick in and your ECU disabling the power from your car.

The chip comes set to a default setting that burgertuning recommends. The tune pushes about 21PSI from stock 16PSI when it is set to 60%. Climate, elevation, driving conditions all take account into why your car might go into limp mode, even at the default setting from burgertuning. Since there is a knob that you can turn, if your car does go into limp mode, you drop the tune down to 50% and test it there. You can keep going down if needed.

This does this to the car because the ECU still has a boost level cut off, so if it reads that the car is spiking in PSI above a certain limit, it will put your car in safe mode until you shut the car off and restart it. The default setting on the tuner is safe for a majority of the c250s.

My car is currently set at 70%, 10% higher than the default tune, and I have not hit limp mode yet. I am considering raising it to 80% to test it out and see if my car can handle the power.

In my opinion, it changed my car's driving characteristics drastically. "Economy mode feels like Sport mode...and Sport mode feels like crack" said the prior owner of my tuner LOL. Which is 100% accurate. I also bought the burgertuning intake as well, which makes the spool sound so lovely, and the blow off valve is audible from inside and outside the cabin.

The tune is worth every penny but you have to be hands on when needed. The install/uninstall is 5 minutes and is easy to hide under the hood.
C230,
Thanks again for the info,Im headed out to the parking lot to disconnect the battery now and Ill post the results in a day or two after about 300-400 miles.

For about $ 400.00 the JB sounds like something Ill try . Ive used piggyback tuners on my bikes and always had noticeable results.

Thanks again, this is why these forums can be so helpful
Old 09-20-2013, 05:12 PM

I drive what I drive
Edit: For future googling purposes, this post has been edited. The instructions below is to reset the throttle position.

Not sure if someone else wants to chime in and confirm this actually works:
"1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

Also read where others have said not needed to wait 2 mins (step 4)"

Last edited by C230Kompressed; 09-20-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added info from more recent post
Old 09-20-2013, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Not a problem! After a bit of googling, I also found another way of resetting the ecu/tcu for the w204.

Not sure if someone else wants to chime in and confirm this actually works:

"1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

Also read where others have said not needed to wait 2 mins (step 4)"
That is the Throttle Position reset.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 PM

I drive what I drive
^Thanks for the clarification, good to know.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 PM

2015 Acura TLX

wow, the tune sounds pretty great . I wonder if the service department will give you trouble for the intake though.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 PM

I drive what I drive
To avoid any trouble at all, I would remove both items anytime I go to the dealership for any service or warranty work. They are both literally five minutes of work to install/uninstall and is also untraceable.

The only time a dealership can deny warranty work is if the aftermarket part is what caused the fault for the reason of your visit.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911
Because of Mr C230Kompressed i just ordered the burger intake + ecu thingy...we will c how it all turns out
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM

I drive what I drive
Good man! You won't be dissapointed .
Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Ok, quick update.

I disconnected my battery for 15 minutes at work today. The drive home already feels different. The shift points changed noticeably in S mode it held in gear longer even when driving Normally. I'd did about 80 miles of full throttle accelerations on the freeway all the way home

I'm speculating that my car being a loaner for the first 5000 may not have been driven consistently In a sporty mannor and that may have contrubited to its behavior

I m looking forward to hearing how the tuner works out for tarek307 and I'll probably order one as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
S mode is designed to hold the gears longer regardless.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:45 PM

mercedes c250, 08 vette blown with meth (680 rwhp)
I've had the JB+ Tune for a few months now and it helped a little in the bottom end and that about it. Nothing in the top end. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have bought it. The stock turbo is just too little to make any more hp. Still has a lot of turbo lag. I had mine set at 10 until it went into limp mode after about 3 weeks and now its at 7.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 PM

2015 Acura TLX
Originally Posted by xaran
Ok, quick update.

I disconnected my battery for 15 minutes at work today. The drive home already feels different. The shift points changed noticeably in S mode it held in gear longer even when driving Normally. I'd did about 80 miles of full throttle accelerations on the freeway all the way home

I'm speculating that my car being a loaner for the first 5000 may not have been driven consistently In a sporty mannor and that may have contrubited to its behavior

I m looking forward to hearing how the tuner works out for tarek307 and I'll probably order one as well.
funny you say that cause the loaners i have had, all drive like they are on crack cause i think people have been flogging them in S mode . The C250 in our house, my dad drives it everyday in E mode, so when i drive it occasionally, its a little slow to wake up lol. I went nuts with the last loaner i had; the manual mode is really fun on the freeway and you can hear the small shift burp as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911
Originally Posted by speedraider
I've had the JB+ Tune for a few months now and it helped a little in the bottom end and that about it. Nothing in the top end. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have bought it. The stock turbo is just too little to make any more hp. Still has a lot of turbo lag. I had mine set at 10 until it went into limp mode after about 3 weeks and now its at 7.
at 100% and 70% or you mean 1 & 7?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:48 PM

mercedes c250, 08 vette blown with meth (680 rwhp)
Originally Posted by Tarek307
at 100% and 70% or you mean 1 & 7?
had it set at 10 and now 7
Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I don't do mine any favors because my driving style changes week to week. I may spend a week loafing about and rarely going over 3,000 RPM, and I may spend a week with it screaming away (love the intake noise and turbo whine at high RPM). I end up doing a throttle reset every couple of weeks - usually after a situation where I have needed the car to play ball and before it decides to move it contemplates the meaning of life.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM

2012 C 250 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I don't do mine any favors because my driving style changes week to week. I may spend a week loafing about and rarely going over 3,000 RPM, and I may spend a week with it screaming away (love the intake noise and turbo whine at high RPM). I end up doing a throttle reset every couple of weeks - usually after a situation where I have needed the car to play ball and before it decides to move it contemplates the meaning of life.
Do you do the throttle rest procedure above or do you disconnect the battery and reset it that way?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C 250 Lag- best solutions anyone ?