C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Newbie contemplating a 2012 C300 4matic CPO...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Sentra
Newbie contemplating a 2012 C300 4matic CPO...

First post here - we went car shopping yesterday, as wife starts a job which requires 40 miles daily travel. After visiting Honda, we went to the Merc showroom and were attracted towards a C300 4matic CPO 2012 model, with about 25K miles on it. The price is around ~32K, and the carfax is clean (I know I can't trust carfax), it was a personal lease vehicle. We want to opt for the 4matic, as it may avoid putting snow chains during our Tahoe skiing trips.

On benzworld, a member posted "4MATIC systems in the 7G Tronic seem to require expensive repairs because the front transfer case is actually part of the transmission. When the transfer case needs service, the entire transmission needs to be replaced." I am checking to see what it means, and when the repairs are required, but would appreciate any information here as well.

This will be our first very expensive purchase and I wanted to hear the opinions of C300 owners - the good and bad of it. It will be mainly used by my wife for daily commute. Anything, I'd love to hear.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 sport
Six months ago I bought a 2012 C300 Sport. Also a CPO vehicle. I think you can get it for closer to 30K if you bargain. I like it a lot but be aware they don't get great gas mileage and premium is suggested. I was a bit naïve and believed the car would be "as cosmetically free of dents and scratches" as possible.I discovered when I got the car home there was a deep windshield scratch and a scratch on the rear bumper, so look it over carefully. The warrantee is really good but these cars are also expensive to maintain. I like the way they look and it runs and handles really well, so good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by stratman1954
Six months ago I bought a 2012 C300 Sport. Also a CPO vehicle. I think you can get it for closer to 30K if you bargain. I like it a lot but be aware they don't get great gas mileage and premium is suggested. I was a bit naïve and believed the car would be "as cosmetically free of dents and scratches" as possible.I discovered when I got the car home there was a deep windshield scratch and a scratch on the rear bumper, so look it over carefully. The warrantee is really good but these cars are also expensive to maintain. I like the way they look and it runs and handles really well, so good luck.
Actually it's more like "Premium is STRONGLY Suggested (required)".
If you can afford around $6-8 in gas every day then surely go for it! The honda on the other hand might be more like 3-4.

Back on track: A merc is a merc, of course it's a pain to maintain it! It's gonna be more expensive than a japanese car/domestic/VW. I wouldn't be too worried about transmission and stuff for now, since it's not a very common problem for your whole transmission to be shot, and of course you'll have a good warranty!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 PM

2007 W164 ML350
Having owned three Benz, three BMW, and an Acura NSX, I have found them to be expensive only after the warranty expires. Find yourself a good indy mechanic or shop and the only thing expensive will be the BMW parts(about 3X the MB equivalent).
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by choombak
First post here - we went car shopping yesterday, as wife starts a job which requires 40 miles daily travel. After visiting Honda, we went to the Merc showroom and were attracted towards a C300 4matic CPO 2012 model, with about 25K miles on it. The price is around ~32K, and the carfax is clean (I know I can't trust carfax), it was a personal lease vehicle. We want to opt for the 4matic, as it may avoid putting snow chains during our Tahoe skiing trips.

On benzworld, a member posted "4MATIC systems in the 7G Tronic seem to require expensive repairs because the front transfer case is actually part of the transmission. When the transfer case needs service, the entire transmission needs to be replaced." I am checking to see what it means, and when the repairs are required, but would appreciate any information here as well.

This will be our first very expensive purchase and I wanted to hear the opinions of C300 owners - the good and bad of it. It will be mainly used by my wife for daily commute. Anything, I'd love to hear.

My car was also a CPO with about 23k at the time, and so far so good. It came with just about all the toys there are.
As for the Gas and mileage, I only use Premium, 93 minimum, and averages about 22 in town and about 28-29 on the highway.

I am very satisfied with what I got.