C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Engine running without keys in? & eyelid light electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Engine running without keys in? & eyelid light electrical problem?

So I've got two pretty weird occurrences to my c300 sport that have happened since taking my car to the shop for a tire puncture repair, and I would like some insight trying to understand what is going on.

1) My car had its engine running WITHOUT the keys in when I picked it up from the shop after having a flat tire repaired. (note that it was not the dealership that did the fix because they couldnt do same day service, and instead a local Tuffy's with no bad reviews online). I wasn't sure what was going on at first because the thought of my engine running without the keys in defies logic (unless there is a autostart function that I am not aware of!), but as soon as I put my keys in, the engine actually shut off. Turning the ignition made the car start fine and I haven't had any other occurrences of this.

2) Approached my car this morning and realized that the eyelid light was on just faintly. Tried to unlock the doors with my remote key fob and it took a few tries since the battery was obviously dead or close to depleted. Car would not start. I also checked the dial for the lights and it was turned in the off position. I haven't had it jump started or checked out because I had to leave for work, so I ended up just taking my other car.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on here? Are eyelid lights going on by themselves a common electrical problem that the W204 has?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 PM

2008 Mercedes C350
I owned a 2008 C350 and 2 weeks ago I was approaching my car at night and noticed the passenger eyelid light on so I thought I have accidentally move the dial when I got out of my car 2 days ago. I unlocked my car and proceeded to check the dial for the lights and it was turned in the off position. I not sure what is causing this but it seems as an electrical malfunction unless someone knows why our cars are doing this.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:01 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Mercho82
I owned a 2008 C350 and 2 weeks ago I was approaching my car at night and noticed the passenger eyelid light on so I thought I have accidentally move the dial when I got out of my car 2 days ago. I unlocked my car and proceeded to check the dial for the lights and it was turned in the off position. I not sure what is causing this but it seems as an electrical malfunction unless someone knows why our cars are doing this.
I had my car jumped after the eyelid incident. I read on another forum that this had happened to them as well and their solution was to put the lights on "auto". I've been doing this for the past few nights and haven't had a recurrence.

Still wondering about the engine running without keys in it, though.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 AM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Eyelid leds not working

Hello guys, I tried changing my eyelid regular bulbs to led. Initially both the otter ones on the right and left side worked fine. As of now all 4 of the eye lid lights don't work. I've also tried the stock ones that were in there and they don't work either. It's not the bulbs because I tried it in the trunk compartment light and the bulbs are fine. I also turned them 180 degrees still nothing. Does anyone know how to reset the lights or where the fuse is for the light? Really frustrated and saddened because I recently bought he car too. Plzz HELP.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
If your eyelid is on even if the car is off and the switch is turned to off "0", that might indicate that your headlight switch is malfunctioning. Another symptom would be your lights blinking on and off while in "AUTO" during the daytime. Switching out the headlight switch tends to resolve this issue. You can search the forms for more info. You can find the headlight switch on ebay for $50 to $80 and it only takes about 5 minutes to switch it out.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...h-removal.html