C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Still hoping for help with front differential

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2013 | 11:15 PM

2009 c 300 4 matic
Still hoping for help with front differential

I posted a few days back with no reply. Thought I would ask again. On my '09 c300 4matic I can only find a drain plug on the front differential. Is it possible they use the drain plug to add oil from the bottom, like the transmission. No fill plug just in front of the axle as viewed from wheel housing. That area is sealed with a push in block type plug. Frame is very close and blocks any access to that area. One post I read said front case shares same sump as the engine but owners manual gives 85w-90 spec. for oil. Another post states drain plug is used to both drain and fill. Does anyone have information on service procedures if there is only one plug or a parts diagram for the front differential to post, a view might help me. I may have missed seeing a fill plug, it is tight around there. Looks like a breather on the top front of the case. This should not be that hard but I missed something or need some direction. I would be very thankful if someone would shed some light this.
Thanks

Kevin
Old 10-15-2013 | 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Try messaging a member named Glynn, he might be able to help. I think he works/worked for benz.
Old 10-15-2013 | 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by Kemmy
I posted a few days back with no reply. Thought I would ask again. On my '09 c300 4matic I can only find a drain plug on the front differential. Is it possible they use the drain plug to add oil from the bottom, like the transmission. No fill plug just in front of the axle as viewed from wheel housing. That area is sealed with a push in block type plug. Frame is very close and blocks any access to that area. One post I read said front case shares same sump as the engine but owners manual gives 85w-90 spec. for oil. Another post states drain plug is used to both drain and fill. Does anyone have information on service procedures if there is only one plug or a parts diagram for the front differential to post, a view might help me. I may have missed seeing a fill plug, it is tight around there. Looks like a breather on the top front of the case. This should not be that hard but I missed something or need some direction. I would be very thankful if someone would shed some light this.
Thanks

Kevin
Come on you fellow Yanks ,give this fella a hand .

The world might be coming to an end over there but Mercedes work must still continue what ever happens
Old 10-16-2013 | 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kemmy
Thanks

Kevin
Hello Kevin,

I have found my way around my WIS a little better . You have done me a favour.

Have put in what I think is your Vin/model number. Please check.
Attached are the details of oil levels & the fact that the front axle transmission does not have an oil filler hole and must be filled via
the front axle shaft opening.

All the best,

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-17-2013 | 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another satisfied customer ?

Last edited by Carsy; 10-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2013 | 11:40 PM

2009 c 300 4 matic
Thanks to all who replied. Especially Carsy, the attached files you posted will help a great deal. I have not been in front of a computer much for a day or so. I do wish Mercedes would have installed an extra fill plug, would make it a lot easier for regular servicing. At least the attached files tells me how Mercedes recommends changing the gear oil in the front differential. Yes, a satisfied customer. So again, thanks all.
Old 10-18-2013 | 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My pleasure.John