C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Cracked Rim, time to upgrade to 18 inch AMG??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD

Took the car to America's Tire for a simple flat repair after wife complained that something fall off the truck in front and hit her during morning commute to work.

Turns out one of the front tire has 3 nails in it and is irreparable and the other wheel has a cracked rim, rear tires are also near the wear bar.

Now I am looking at replacing all 4 tires as well as a pair of front rims. (suspect the other front rim is slightly bent because I have a very slow air leak)

So I thought maybe I can use this opportunity to upgrade to 18 inch AMG wheels and found a set locally with out wheel caps and lug bolts.

Does anyone know can we use the same wheel caps and lug bolts from the 17 inch stock wheels on the 18 inch AMG??
Old 11-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 2009 E550

Originally Posted by justthinking
Took the car to America's Tire for a simple flat repair after wife complained that something fall off the truck in front and hit her during morning commute to work.

Turns out one of the front tire has 3 nails in it and is irreparable and the other wheel has a cracked rim, rear tires are also near the wear bar.

Now I am looking at replacing all 4 tires as well as a pair of front rims. (suspect the other front rim is slightly bent because I have a very slow air leak)

So I thought maybe I can use this opportunity to upgrade to 18 inch AMG wheels and found a set locally with out wheel caps and lug bolts.

Does anyone know can we use the same wheel caps and lug bolts from the 17 inch stock wheels on the 18 inch AMG??
You might do some research on this site about changing wheel sizes. I had the same questions a couple of years ago. One of the members told me the car was designed for a specific wheel size and will change the way the vehicle drivers and the information on the instrument panel.

I would have the wheel repaired by a company like this one http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/locator.html#California

I think it cost about $100. There may be other companies in your area that do the same type of work. They may also sell used wheels. You only need one wheel and one tire.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM

2011 c300
Originally Posted by justthinking
Took the car to America's Tire for a simple flat repair after wife complained that something fall off the truck in front and hit her during morning commute to work.??

Hey broter. I sent you a pm. Think you can help a brother outa.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 PM

2011 C300 4matic sport
Wheel caps and bolts are interchangeable if they're both Mercedes OEM wheels. And there's no problem with switching wheel sizes as far as the "instrument panel" goes, I switch out a winter and summer set every year, 17" and 18". The ride is a bit harder with the 18s though.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by E2233
You might do some research on this site about changing wheel sizes. I had the same questions a couple of years ago. One of the members told me the car was designed for a specific wheel size and will change the way the vehicle drivers and the information on the instrument panel.

I would have the wheel repaired by a company like this one http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/locator.html#California

I think it cost about $100. There may be other companies in your area that do the same type of work. They may also sell used wheels. You only need one wheel and one tire.
It's an unusual crack location, unless there was a lot of deformation there too. Might send them a pic 1st, if the drive is a hassle.

OP: You can get replica AMG wheels in 17" or 18". The ride is rougher with the 18's, as someone said, even though the winter tire tread is softer than a summer or all season tread on the 18's.

You have staggered wheels now with the sport, if oem. You could go with no staggered, and all per front wheel spec, and it would look the same in the back as all the added stagger width is tucked in.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
Cracked Rim

Originally Posted by kevink2
It's an unusual crack location, unless there was a lot of deformation there too. Might send them a pic 1st, if the drive is a hassle.

OP: You can get replica AMG wheels in 17" or 18". The ride is rougher with the 18's, as someone said, even though the winter tire tread is softer than a summer or all season tread on the 18's.

You have staggered wheels now with the sport, if oem. You could go with no staggered, and all per front wheel spec, and it would look the same in the back as all the added stagger width is tucked in.

At the time of purchase most of my interest was selecting the available options. I was looking at the Sport Model. The price for the Sport Model and the Stock Model were the same.

I picked the vehicle at the factory about a mile away the tire pressure monitor flashed. I returned to the factory checked the pressure.

The cracked rim occurred when I hit a pot hole exiting the freeway. I changed both front tires to Michelin from Continental. There were no problems with replacement tires or wheel at the time of installation. About a month later I notice a slow leak on left front tire. I returned to America's Tires. The representative said I had a hair line fracture of the wheel.

I found a local shop that repaired the rim in one day.

I never considered changing the rear wheels to match the front wheels.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Using the Sport front tires all around is what the Lux model has. It's hard to see the difference, as I noted above. Only if you look with your head near the road can you see the difference.

The advantage of the non-staggered set-up is that you can cross "X" rotate the wheels to assure even wear. Feathered wear edges get noisy, but the wear process is reversed when the tire rotation direction is changed.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:08 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
I owned a Toyota Supra years back before the switch to larger rear tires five speed stick. I switched to MB because I did not like the larger and the trunk size.

I do hear road noises on the freeway. I miss the full size spare in the trunk and the tire sale with the purchase of four tires.

I have had some wear problems with the front tires. I had a tire separation. The tire shop said it was an alignment problem that cause the separation on each tire. The representative only wanted to cover one tire under the additional warranty that I had purchased. I finally was able to have both tires replaced under warranty.

The warranty is reduced by 50% if the tire can't be X.

I may consider switching in the future.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550

Originally Posted by kevink2

I have 18" tires in the front 245/40ZR-18 93 Y All Season. There is a mini spare in the trunk. Will one of the wheels fits in the trunk if I replace all wheels so I can X the tires?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM

W204 2008 C350
I have the same wheels on my C350 and one is cracked in the exact same spot. I'm also looking to replace all four. I had it welded before and it cracked again. Not looking to weld the same wheel again.
If you are selling a good rear 17, let me know.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM

MB C220 Sport W204, 18" AMGs, Grey lthr, xenons, p'ktronic, HKardon, Comand nav.
Full size tire in spare wheel well

I have 18in AMG Sport wheels (staggered sizes) and when I take the car on vacation, always take a full size wheel with me in the spare wheel well. I don't like the idea of being miles away from a decent tire dealer and having to use a severely speed restricted "safety spare tire". As the well is not deep enough to accommodate the full width of the tire the trunk carpet mat tends to "sit" higher in the trunk, actually on the sidewall of the tire. For this reason I usually take a spare front wheel / tire as that is narrower than the rears and this lessens the height increase of the wheel / tire combo. I put a couple of strips of hardwood that are the same height as the projecting portion of the wheel / tire under the trunk carpet mat to stop any distortion from heavy baggage in the trunk and excess load on the tire sidewall.

Last edited by NewtwoMB; 12-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
CRACKED WHEEL

Originally Posted by NewtwoMB
I have 18in AMG Sport wheels (staggered sizes) and when I take the car on vacation, always take a full size wheel with me in the spare wheel well. I don't like the idea of being miles away from a decent tire dealer and having to use a severely speed restricted "safety spare tire". As the well is not deep enough to accommodate the full width of the tire the trunk carpet mat tends to "sit" higher in the trunk, actually on the sidewall of the tire. For this reason I usually take a spare front wheel / tire as that is narrower than the rears and this lessens the height increase of the wheel / tire combo. I put a couple of strips of hardwood that are the same height as the projecting portion of the wheel / tire under the trunk carpet mat to stop any distortion from heavy baggage in the trunk and excess load on the tire sidewall.
My front wheel cracked for the second time. The tire shop showed me the crack on inside top lip.
The tire shop put the spare on. The spare has a range of 500 miles and a maximum speed of 50 MPH.
The tire shop wanted to sell me a used wheel for about $400.00. I decided to opt for a new wheel. I found an out of state dealer that had a wheel with delivery in ten days for $817.00. The local dealer wanted from $900.00 to $1,150 plus tax. I found a dealer that would have the AMG wheel in two business days. I wanted to view the wheel before I take delivery. Most of the wheels have three or four series using the VIN. I picked up the wheel at the dealer today.
I took the wheel to a tire store shop for mounting.
I asked the tire shop about replacing the spare since I had to use it twice. He told me a new spare would run about $250.00. He suggested I get a low price wheel and a good tire for about $150.00. I can see why you carry a full size spare.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:59 AM

2014 MB c350 4matic
I have a 2014 c350 with 18" AMG 7 twin spoke wheels. The right front was losing air from a crack on the inside lip. I had it welded and remanufactured 2 months ago. It started doing the same thing again losing 9 LBS in 2 days. The new wheel at the dealer is $1700 but online I can get a remanufacture wheel for around $700. I ordered it but am looking to replace them all with aftermarket.

The problem I am finding is that the offset for front is 47 and the rears are 54 and the width is 7.5 and 8.5 respectfully. Mercedes got us on that cause it is difficult to replace the wheels with exact match. The part numbers for these wheels are a2044010604 front and A2044010704 rear and may be available if I can find the right wheels elsewhere. I am really disappointed in my search for compatible wheel. Anyone else have any luck?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
You can get four wheels the same size and offset as the fronts. You do not have to have staggered wheels.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM

2014 MB c350 4matic
@Alfadude Won't that leave the rear looking funny with tires not going out to the flare in rear fender? or maybe rub it 7mm different in offset is .25 inch
Old 02-11-2020, 10:29 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
No. Look at all the W204s that do not have the 18" AMG OEM wheels. They are all the same width and offset. What is nice about a non-staggered set up is you can rotate the wheels.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 AM

2014 MB c350 4matic
the wheel profiles are 40 and 35 front/ rear respectively
Old 02-11-2020, 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Alfadude
No. Look at all the W204s that do not have the 18" AMG OEM wheels. They are all the same width and offset. What is nice about a non-staggered set up is you can rotate the wheels.
Not entirely true, I have OEM 17's that are staggered. Also can confirm, sucks not being able to rotate the tires.