C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

DIY Brake Pad Change or Indy Shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport
DIY Brake Pad Change or Indy Shop?

My 09 C300 is about to hit 50,000 miles and I don't believe there has ever been a brake pad change or fluid flush(which has been long overdue). I originally was going to do a DIY brake change, however with school getting busy I don't think it'll be worth the time and effort. This is my first time actually owning a Mercedes and therefore I'm trying to follow the maintenance guide. I've already decided to have the dealership do a brake fluid flush once I get the pads replaced. MB won't install aftermarket parts (I ordered Akebono pads.) and want 400 just for labor!

My dad wants me to take it to his mechanic who services mainly Lexus and Toyota. My only concern is if there' a difference in brake changes for our car. I would like to think so and have been searching for an indy shop in the dallas/plano metroplex. However, from all the reviews I've read, not many seem trustworthy. Someone from the forum recommended AutoScope, but after researching, they don't seem too superb. Does anyone have any recommendation for Indy shops or think its better for me to just do a DIY? I'm currently considering Auto Hans in Addison.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Tram
Old 01-05-2014, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Its a very straightforward job for any mechanic who has done brakes on any car, the DIY threads are on here. The Akebonos are good. Remember there is a brake pad wear sensor that needs to be replaced also - in fact, unless the car is telling you the pads are worn out through the service alert system - don't bother changing them, the wear sensors are accurate.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Easy job no different than any other car I have ever done (except SAAB I hate their brakes). I did it on my two previous W204s and will do it on the 2013 when it is needed. Akebono is a good choice.

Have your rotors measured also they will most likely be close and you might as well do both jobs at once.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport
Thanks I guess I'll go with our mechanic then!