C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2014 C300 4matic - Not Happy - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250
I have to redact my earlier statement that a reflash rectified our family's 335. It required replacement entirely, not covered under warranty because that had expired. The dealer worked with our friend but the cost was over $7,000. It's a week known issue for that generation 3-Series.

Take away this: get it seriously evaluated and addressed!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by adanmtxt1
I have to redact my earlier statement that a reflash rectified our family's 335. It required replacement entirely, not covered under warranty because that had expired. The dealer worked with our friend but the cost was over $7,000. It's a week known issue for that generation 3-Series.

Take away this: get it seriously evaluated and addressed!
Thanks. Some of my frustration is clearly evident in my earlier post, but the dealer has stepped up today and is clearly working hard to get this addressed for us.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Huz-Z
We had the programming done and now the car is if anything, significantly worse.

Its my wife's car and she has asked that the car be replaced by the dealer; at this point we have no faith that Mercedes can repair the car. Personally, I'd perfer to get my money back so we can walk away from Mercedes altogether.
My thoughts as well. This is not a "normal" situation. My car does the exact same thing. It actually feels/sounds like someone is hitting the transmission/transfer case with a sledge hammer! If this is the best Mercedes can do, I want my $$ back!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM

2014 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by rossono308
My thoughts as well. This is not a "normal" situation. My car does the exact same thing. It actually feels/sounds like someone is hitting the transmission/transfer case with a sledge hammer! If this is the best Mercedes can do, I want my $$ back!
Thanks! Our car is now in the shop to have this addressed and we have a loaner until its fixed. To be frank, I really like the car and its particularly great to drive in winter conditions -outstanding actually. At the end of the day, I'm more than happy to keep the car as long as its properly fixed. The dealer has assured us that is their objective, and I believe they are sincere. But if it can't be fixed, then I beleive that MB has an obligation to replace the car with a brand new equivalently optioned 2014 car that does not have this issue - or to give us our money back. I'm certainly hoping it doesn't come to that.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Thanks! Our car is now in the shop to have this addressed and we have a loaner until its fixed. To be frank, I really like the car and its particularly great to drive in winter conditions -outstanding actually. At the end of the day, I'm more than happy to keep the car as long as its properly fixed. The dealer has assured us that is their objective, and I believe they are sincere. But if it can't be fixed, then I beleive that MB has an obligation to replace the car with a brand new equivalently optioned 2014 car that does not have this issue - or to give us our money back. I'm certainly hoping it doesn't come to that.
Hang on to the loaner and keep good records as to the times and days the car has been in their possession. Don't call for "progress reports". Let time pass while you drive the loaner. If they say it is fixed, go and test drive it for a couple of hours, or whatever is needed, without officially "picking it up" on paper or surrendering the loaner. In most states, when the total equals/exceeds 30 days, the lemon law requirements apply to the manufacturer. My son acquired a replacement new BMW via this route when his first 6 month old one defied repair within that timeframe.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM

2014 C300 4matic
Update

The dealer tells me that the car is reprogrammed and for the next 1500 km, we have to drive it like an old man or the car will program itself to shift roughly.

Comments?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
No! That sounds completely wrong!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 sport 4matic
A car that can adjust itself based on your driving habit ?

Even in sport mode , I don't experience rough shift or clunky sound. I guess my car is stubborn and stupid and cannot adjust to my driving habit. I would definitely question that.

Last edited by tonyteetime; 02-07-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM

2014 C300 4matic
Does anyone else have thoughts that they wish to offer?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM

2014 C300 4Matic
My car goes in tomorrow for the same issue. I'm readying myself for "no issue found".
Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 PM

2014 C300 4MATIC
I bought mine brand new on 28th dec, 2013 and I had the same problem. Between 40 and 60 kph, I felt a jerk. Took it to the service shop 10 days ago service manager told they will reflash the software. Got it back the same day and they jolt was gone, until 2 days ago the same issue started again along with couple more problems. Bearings are making sound, belt makes a screeching sound on a cold start until the engine warms up. When i go over small speed bumps in the parking lots, I hear a thump sound from the front suspension. I don't know what could possibly go wrong with a brand new mercedes, the car has only been driven 2700 kilometers.
Anyhow, I am dropping off my car again tomorrow morning to have it all looked at. I will keep you posted.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
The dealer's statement that they reprogrammed it and you need to drive like a grandma is completely unacceptable. I would suggest you follow what one of the previous posters said - refuse to take the car back under the conditions. Test drive it - drive it NORMALLY, and if it shows the same problem, let them keep it. If they don't properly fix it in the time-frame, even if that means a whole new transmission, lemon-law their asses.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 AM

2014 C300 4matic
The dealer is also telling me that nobody else is having this issue with a 2014 C300 4matic. but based on what some folks are reporting here, that is clearly not correct.

To help me refute this, I would ask that folks with the issue PM me the town and dealership that is aware of this. No names needed. That way, I can say that a customer in XTown has this issue and XTown Mercedes is aware of it. No worries if you don't want to do this.

I am in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My dealer also tells me that the 4matic control logic and programming is completely different on Canadian and US cars, and as a result, US cars can't be used as a comparison to Canadian cars re the rough shifting issue. To be quite frank, I find that incredible - I can't believe that Mercedes would implement entirely different control logic for its Canadian and American 4matic variants. In fact, as most US 4matics are sold in areas of the US that have similar winter conditions to Canada, I would expect the control logic to be very similar, if not identical.

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The dealer is also telling me that nobody else is having this issue with a 2014 C300 4matic. but based on what some folks are reporting here, that is clearly not correct.

To help me refute this, I would ask that folks with the issue PM me the town and dealership that is aware of this. No names needed. That way, I can say that a customer in XTown has this issue and XTown Mercedes is aware of it. No worries if you don't want to do this.

I am in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. My dealer also tells me that the 4matic control logic and programming is completely different on Canadian and US cars, and as a result, US cars can't be used as a comparison to Canadian cars re the rough shifting issue. To be quite frank, I find that incredible - I can't believe that Mercedes would implement entirely different control logic for its Canadian and American 4matic variants. In fact, as most US 4matics are sold in areas of the US that have similar winter conditions to Canada, I would expect the control logic to be very similar, if not identical.

Thoughts?
The dealer's perspective is inverted. The entire premise of transmissions which "adapt" to your driving style (learning where to set shift points), is that the transmission adapts to you, not the other way around. His counsel that the car must be driven gently will get the transmission to learn that this is how you drive, and will subsequently perform with low speed shifts....fine, if that is your style, but less than entertaining if your style is more aggressive.

It is likely that the ECU for Canadian cars and US cars vary, but primarily due to regulatory requirements to meet the emission standards in the two countries necessitating a different part number. He is making more of that than appropriate and likely using it for "cover".

Pardon the reiteration, but I still suggest keeping the car in their "custody" until they declare it "repaired". Take it for an extended test drive, but do not sign out the car on paper until it truly is repaired. I don't know Lemon Laws where you live, but some easy research will get you up to speed as to the requirements. Usually, 30 days out of your custody will trigger the statute.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:13 AM

2014 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
The dealer's perspective is inverted. The entire premise of transmissions which "adapt" to your driving style (learning where to set shift points), is that the transmission adapts to you, not the other way around. His counsel that the car must be driven gently will get the transmission to learn that this is how you drive, and will subsequently perform with low speed shifts....fine, if that is your style, but less than entertaining if your style is more aggressive.

It is likely that the ECU for Canadian cars and US cars vary, but primarily due to regulatory requirements to meet the emission standards in the two countries necessitating a different part number. He is making more of that than appropriate and likely using it for "cover".

Pardon the reiteration, but I still suggest keeping the car in their "custody" until they declare it "repaired". Take it for an extended test drive, but do not sign out the car on paper until it truly is repaired. I don't know Lemon Laws where you live, but some easy research will get you up to speed as to the requirements. Usually, 30 days out of your custody will trigger the statute.
Thanks - I agree with all your comments.

There is no "lemon law" in Canada, but there is a mediation process which certain manufacturers, including Mecedes Canada, have agreed to participate in. At this point, the dealer called us on Saturday to say the car was fixed. [Note that this is the third time its been in the shop for this issue]. We picked it up and drove around like old farts while doing our Saturday stuff. Despite that, the car made a harsh shift at low speed anyway later in the day. My wife has been driving it yesterday and hasn't detected an issue. I'll take it for a spin tonight and if the rough shift happens again, the car is going back to the dealer and we'll demand our money back. At this point, I cannot accept a brand new replacement car because I would worry that it too would soon develop the same issue.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thanks - I agree with all your comments.

There is no "lemon law" in Canada, but there is a mediation process which certain manufacturers, including Mecedes Canada, have agreed to participate in. At this point, the dealer called us on Saturday to say the car was fixed. [Note that this is the third time its been in the shop for this issue]. We picked it up and drove around like old farts while doing our Saturday stuff. Despite that, the car made a harsh shift at low speed anyway later in the day. My wife has been driving it yesterday and hasn't detected an issue. I'll take it for a spin tonight and if the rough shift happens again, the car is going back to the dealer and we'll demand our money back. At this point, I cannot accept a brand new replacement car because I would worry that it too would soon develop the same issue.
Best of luck with mediation, but I would not expect a complete refund to be the outcome. That would represent a complete loss for the dealer and MBCA, which the mediator would probably not direct as the resolution. More likely, they will offer a replacement vehicle, which may not be a bad outcome, as these are wonderful cars, when they work. If you seem headed down that path, just ensure that the directive includes a pre-delivery road test for the same problem, which most likely will not recur.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 AM

2014 C300 4Matic
I dropped my car off this AM. At -5 in Chicago the car didn't shift harshly but the 3-4 shift even at it's best is jerky. For the record, my car is a 2014 luxury not a sport. The final drive and shift points are different. I noticed the E350 sport I have a loaner was in 5th by 27mph! The 3rd to 4th shift in my car is between 30-35mph (48-56kph). My car will also exhibit this behavior on forced downshifts as well. The service writer confirmed that the tcu is adaptable. I'll post later today the results. The dealer I'm using is Mercedes Benz of Westmont.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM

2014 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by rossono308
I dropped my car off this AM. At -5 in Chicago the car didn't shift harshly but the 3-4 shift even at it's best is jerky. For the record, my car is a 2014 luxury not a sport. The final drive and shift points are different. I noticed the E350 sport I have a loaner was in 5th by 27mph! The 3rd to 4th shift in my car is between 30-35mph (48-56kph). My car will also exhibit this behavior on forced downshifts as well. The service writer confirmed that the tcu is adaptable. I'll post later today the results. The dealer I'm using is Mercedes Benz of Westmont.
Thanks! And good luck!!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 AM

2014 C300 4matic
Best of luck with mediation, but I would not expect a complete refund to be the outcome. That would represent a complete loss for the dealer and MBCA, which the mediator would probably not direct as the resolution. More likely, they will offer a replacement vehicle, which may not be a bad outcome, as these are wonderful cars, when they work. If you seem headed down that path, just ensure that the directive includes a pre-delivery road test for the same problem, which most likely will not recur.
To be frank, I'm interested in protecting myself, not the dealer and a large multi-national corporation. I was promised a properly functioning automobile and Mercedes has failed to live up to their end of the bargain and has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to fix the car, even with factory consultation as was the case with the most recent repair visit. Mercedes is not the only premium car company that makes a capable all wheel drive vehicle.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
To be frank, I'm interested in protecting myself, not the dealer and a large multi-national corporation. I was promised a properly functioning automobile and Mercedes has failed to live up to their end of the bargain and has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to fix the car, even with factory consultation as was the case with the most recent repair visit. Mercedes is not the only premium car company that makes a capable all wheel drive vehicle.
I completely understand and empathize. I was just anticipating the approach by a disinterested third party mediator. Most common law and statutes embody the concept of the seller having an opportunity to cure the defect or replace the goods.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM

2014 C300 4matic
I completely understand and empathize. I was just anticipating the approach by a disinterested third party mediator. Most common law and statutes embody the concept of the seller having an opportunity to cure the defect or replace the goods.
I understand. Its just that after three ineffective visits to the garage, my patience with Mercedes is at an end and my faith in the reliability of the C300 4matic has been quite thoroughly decimated.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I understand. Its just that after three ineffective visits to the garage, my patience with Mercedes is at an end and my faith in the reliability of the C300 4matic has been quite thoroughly decimated.
Not at all to be argumentative, but perhaps to offer some hope.....my son's brand new BMW 328i was taken back under the lemon law where he lives after more than 30 days of repair in the first three months. He took the chance of a new BMW instead of the full refund. The new car has been flawless. As hard as automakers try (I used to work for one), there are unforeseen chaotic elements at work which defy all attempts to achieve consistency.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM

2014 C300 4matic
Not at all to be argumentative, but perhaps to offer some hope.....my son's brand new BMW 328i was taken back under the lemon law where he lives after more than 30 days of repair in the first three months. He took the chance of a new BMW instead of the full refund. The new car has been flawless. As hard as automakers try (I used to work for one), there are unforeseen chaotic elements at work which defy all attempts to achieve consistency.

Good luck!
Thanks!! Yes, I'd be happy with an identical and properly functioning car. Dare to dream! And BMW's 328i is a truly sweet machine - your son will really enjoy driving that car.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:41 PM

2014 C300 4Matic
3:40 here in Chicago. The dealer just called. Of course they could not reproduce my issue but, they stated there is a bulletin that describes the behavior I described. They will replace the transmission valve body and re-program. Unfortunately, they have none in stock and they are on back order for several other customers with the same complaint. They should have them in ~2 weeks. At least they found something.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 PM

C300 sedan
I thought I was the only one. Bought a 2014 C300 sport and picked it up just before the new year. I'm located in Toronto Canada. I've had these issues since day 1. I recently went to the dealership where I bought the car and they brushed me aside saying that no one else is having this issue. I'm at 2400km.

I've driven a standard car for the past 14 years and I've never felt the gear shifting being so off (reminds me of the days when I was learning stick shift).

I'm wondering if anyone has taken it to a benz dealer in the Toronto area and found them to be more helpful. I took mine to the Markham Benz dealer (corporate store) at Kennedy and Hwy 7.

I hope Benz issues a better notice than the supposed bulletin my dealer has no clue about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 C300 4matic - Not Happy - Need Help