C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Someone hit my car! And then sped off... Help on detailing!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Originally Posted by TheBenzAddict
Wow, didn't think that was possible. Would a detailer be able to do that or body shop? Maybe the dealer can give me ideas on what to do, I just haven't went to them yet because I read bad stories with people taking their cars to the dealer for detailing.
A good local detailer or body shop can do this without having to respray.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Find a good detail shop and talk to them.

There is a lot of "art" in fixing scratches. All the super products and super advice is only so good. Years of doing it is the trick.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Should have called 911 immediately, and reported that "he hit your car, stopped, then sped away, erratically, probably DUI since it was 4am, and they should try to find him immediately before he kills someone. Oh, and btw, officer, arrest him for hit skip while you're at it."

Now the next day, still do the police report for hit skip, but he'll not be DUI anymore if they pay him a visit. You still want him arrested for hit skip, however.

Then deal with your car as you see fit, assuming they won't actually catch the guy and if they do that he won't have insurance.
I agree, should have called it in more so that he wouldn't kill anyone on the street from drunk driving opposed to hit and run.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM

C300
Originally Posted by MBc300elvis
(The cheaper way) Clay bar it with some dish washing soap then wax the panel if it doesn't look good send it to the body shop . As for GLX 1636 he'll get his one day.
LOL that he will. And thanks for the advice! All i know is wet sanding, and compound/polishing to remove scratches. Wet sanding i think is the more abrasive and can possibly remove the "orange peel", so i will look into clay barring. Is that also abrasive?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Just remember, the more you do, the less paint is left for the detail shop to work with.

Last edited by N_Jay; 02-11-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:03 PM

C300
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Just remember, the more you do, the less pain is left for the detail shop to work with.
I never thought about it that way. I was thinking the opposite - if I remove too much of the clear coat, the detail shop would have a problem not knowing how much clear coat they have left to work with. I'll go use meguairs scratch x for an hour if that's the case. : )
Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

I never thought about it that way. I was thinking the opposite - if I remove too much of the clear coat, the detail shop would have a problem not knowing how much clear coat they have left to work with. I'll go use meguairs scratch x for an hour if that's the case. : )
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a typo!!!!!!!!!!!!

the more you do, the less paint is left
Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
car shopping
Hey everyone,

It's 4am and I'm driving home. There are 4 lanes that MUST turn left. I turn left, and the guy to my left decides to go straight. I see him in my side mirror and I turn sharp right, but it was too late.

NOW HERES THE MESSED UP PART. He pulls over to the right, and I pull over behind him. When I'm about to get out my car, he puts it in gear and flores it! I put my car in sport, and caught up to his stupid **** suburu in a second. Made me chuckle of how this guy thought he can out run a Mercedes.

Anyways, I grab his license plate and let him leave. I get out the car and see only scuff marks, not one dent or paint crack. If I filed a police report, would the police even take on something like this without any major damage?

In the morning, I check out the damage. I clean the area with soap and all the scuffs came out. Again, not one dent or paint crack! BUT there are some scratches that were under the scuff, some deep (catches my finger nail) and some not too deep (barely catches my finer nail).

I don't think it's worth repainting because it's just scratches and repainting will deminish the car's value and I don't want to risk a terrible paint job. So any ideas on what I can do? OH MAN how I would have loved to see that guys face when the police summons him with a hit and run, but I don't think the damage is enough to file a claim and go to my insurance.

Anyone know what/who I can do to get these scratches removed, or less visible? I was thinking about going to the dealership and having them compound, wetsand or whatever it takes ..but something told me to hold off, and ask MBWorld first.

What do you guys think? I heard of DETAILER DOMAIN in NJ. Anyone know of anything in the NY city area?
Absolutely police will take a hit and run report as long as you remain on scene and wait for us to get there. Once you leave though, you are left with only one option and that is to fill out a "State Form". This is the same crash report we'd fill out but since the vehicle was moved you fill it out and it becomes your sworn statement to the incident (punishable if you're caught lying on it).

His insurance will cover the entire cost of the damage without even including yours. Pm if you have specific questions
Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM

car shopping
I agree, if he would have stopped. I would have looked at the damage and say, just give me a 100 bucks and let's not get the cops/insurance involved. He probably noticed I had a Mercedes, and thought of how much it'd cost his insurance and left.

It happened Saturday night into Sunday. Probably too late to file a police report by now anyways. Do you think?

Man if I see that GLX 1636 license plate parked somewhere on the street.... LOL
I tell this to everyone. Always always always get the cops involved. We take the report, document all information and who was and wasn't on scene. We don't contact any insurance company...Ever! We document your crash. If you decide to inform your insurance co that's up to you and you alone. In a case like this the OP would have a sworn unbiased officer written report stating he was found (here) at (this time) complaining of a hit and run involving (insert state and plate #). The police dept interviews the fleeing vehicle owner to determine the driver, and then they are issued summons for hit and run. You then take that report, go directly to his insurance co and tell them "your insured driver caused this damage to my car, now make it right." no claim to your insurance co, no claim on Carfax, and no money out of your pocket for someone else's stupidity. Always get the report at least.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 Sport
The Benz Addict,

Do not keep noodling with compounds unless you know what you're doing. Leave it to a professional detailed to do it right.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 PM

C300
Originally Posted by NJC63Fan
I tell this to everyone. Always always always get the cops involved. We take the report, document all information and who was and wasn't on scene. We don't contact any insurance company...Ever! We document your crash. If you decide to inform your insurance co that's up to you and you alone. In a case like this the OP would have a sworn unbiased officer written report stating he was found (here) at (this time) complaining of a hit and run involving (insert state and plate #). The police dept interviews the fleeing vehicle owner to determine the driver, and then they are issued summons for hit and run. You then take that report, go directly to his insurance co and tell them "your insured driver caused this damage to my car, now make it right." no claim to your insurance co, no claim on Carfax, and no money out of your pocket for someone else's stupidity. Always get the report at least.
LOL in my defense, it's not everyday someone does a hit and run so I was stunned! But thank you for that information, it should help others if they go through the same thing.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 PM

C300
I was quoted $650 by a detailer to wash/clay bar/compound/polish the whole car and perform any paint correction/wet sand to the driver's door that was hit if needed after compounding.

Your thoughts guys? BTW, the quote is from Phil at DETAILER DOMAIN if anyone was interested in going to them.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 PM

C300
Originally Posted by 95_993
The Benz Addict,

Do not keep noodling with compounds unless you know what you're doing. Leave it to a professional detailed to do it right.
Agree, not going to mess with compound for the first time on a Mercedes. I was quoted $650 for the whole car.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 PM

C300
Originally Posted by N_Jay
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a typo!!!!!!!!!!!!

the more you do, the less paint is left
LOL ok. Was quoted $650 for the whole car.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 PM

car shopping
LOL in my defense, it's not everyday someone does a hit and run so I was stunned! But thank you for that information, it should help others if they go through the same thing.
100% correct. It is "stunning" to be put in this situation where you believe you're going to have a rational conversation with someone and then they take off on you. I apologize if I come across wrong, I mean only to let you and others know that when police document a crash, that insurance is never notified...ever. In fact there is no way we can even verify the validity of your insurance status unless we call your insurer on your card to ask if the policy is active. (Many people get insurance cards and then cancel their policies). I would suggest that you still visit the local department in the town that this occurred and explain to the desk officer your situation. Tell them that you were prepared to do nothing, but were urged to go forward on the advice of a police officer. Fill out the state form and pass the information on to their traffic bureau. Since you have a full plate number tracking them will take 1 second, and a letter will most likely be sent to the owner. His insurance and vehicle information will be included into your report and you can then contact his insurance company. Dont forget you can also pursue this civilly through the court system if you choose once you get his info, so photo-document the damage and keep good records of all estimates and work performed. Again if you or anyone else reading has questions feel free to PM me. Hope this helps in some way.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

I was quoted $650 by a detailer to wash/clay bar/compound/polish the whole car and perform any paint correction/wet sand to the driver's door that was hit if needed after compounding.

Your thoughts guys? BTW, the quote is from Phil at DETAILER DOMAIN if anyone was interested in going to them.

For $650 he better rub out more than just the paint!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by NJC63Fan

But would the accident be reported to the DMV, any idea? Because I'd assume it would then be on the Carfax and thus reduce the car value. I'm also in NY.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM

C300
LOL that he will. And thanks for the advice! All i know is wet sanding, and compound/polishing to remove scratches. Wet sanding i think is the more abrasive and can possibly remove the "orange peel", so i will look into clay barring. Is that also abrasive?

Ok before you do what I said buy brake cleaner spray on microfiber towel. it should come out in a jip ..... Do not do to much as brake cleaner will romove clear coat (it's happen to me before)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 PM

car shopping
Originally Posted by JohnnyC300
But would the accident be reported to the DMV, any idea? Because I'd assume it would then be on the Carfax and thus reduce the car value. I'm also in NY.
Good question. Definitely not reported from the police dept. end. What I heard is that in N.J., Insurance companies are required to let DMV know if a vehicle that they pay claim on has had more than 40 percent damage. Anything less and its not required to be reported to the DMV. I will try to reach out to some out of state contacts and see if they know what their states guidlines are.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 PM

C300
Originally Posted by JohnnyC300
I live in NY too. This website helped me understand things better -

http://nyccaraccident.net/reporting-the-crash/

In NY, the damage must be over 1,000. After that amount, it must be reported to the DMV.