C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

washer fluid leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
washer fluid leak

i don't drive my car very often, it's a CPO with 7k on it, '09 C 63. i've driven it twice since it was serviced last month at the dealer with an oil change. i've smelled washer fluid ever since the service but don't use the windshield washer system, therefore i deduced it was from them maybe spilling some when filling it. i've noticed dried dark spots on the wheel and wheel well lip where moisture has attracted dirt and brake dust. the car is spectacularly clean so this sort of thing is very noticeable. today i went out to the garage and there was a puddle near the front driver side wheel, blue stuff, not coolant but washer fluid. the reservoir was topped off at the service and is now all the way at the bottom if i look inside. there is fluid all over the top of the undertray if i look from above.

i can't find anything in the warranty info about this system. i guess i should call first to see if it's covered. if not, maybe it would be best for me to take it apart and see what's doin'. what a PITA.

hard to understand why it would suddenly fail right after a service. the car has literally never been in any freezing conditions and i've used the system once since i've had the car over the past year, and that was by accident mishandling the stalk. something gave up under there, haha.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 AM

C63
welp, it's the seam on the bottle itself. i just pulled the fender liner back and about halfway down the seam closest to the fender liner, there is a dark blue line with a little crust and then down the seam from there is evidence of the fluid running along it to the bottom of the bottle.

i called first thing this morning so they could tell me what is covered under the CPO warranty in this system, so i can determine my next move. he said they have to "run the coverage" to check. hard to believe a senior guy wouldn't know by default if the lines and bottle are covered. oh well, we'll see what they say.

EDIT: it's not covered under the CPO warranty. the motor is, the plastic container is not. it's also a dealer only item. not one aftermarket source offers the container. everything else around the container, yes, but no the actual reservoir.

i ordered it from my friend who runs a body shop. same price as dealer, but i don't have to go to the dealer - they deliver it to him.

Last edited by builthatch; 04-05-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
deleted

Last edited by JimPap; 06-16-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 AM

C63
yikes i realized i never updated this thread.

at the time i installed the replacement bottle myself and now no more leaks.

i also run 1Z Anti-Frost washer fluid, for whatever that is worth. it's similar to the old MB Winterfit - no methanol.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Is there any way to get to it without removing the inner fender?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 PM

C63
Originally Posted by JimPap
Is there any way to get to it without removing the inner fender?
i can't imagine. it's quite large. removing the inner fender made everything very accessible.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:20 PM

2005 CLK500
Can you provide step by step
"inner fender" removal process? 2005 clk320.
ty,
Marc