Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Tired of constantly replacing LEDs >

Tired of constantly replacing LEDs

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tired of constantly replacing LEDs

 
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bunkx9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Angry Tired of constantly replacing LEDs

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but my car eats up LEDs like crazy. I've literally gone through probably 32 - 40 LEDs from numerous sellers on eBay, AZNoptics, etc. since I bought my car. Every time I install new eyebrow LEDs, they last 3 months if I'm lucky. The side markers seem to hold up a little longer (1 month longer) and the rear license plate lights are usually the last to go (5-7 months).

At this point, I have completely given up on the eyebrow lights and pulled all of them out. I said F it and am leaving the sockets empty. Anybody else have this issue?
Bunkx9 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wichita
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC
That's weird. I've only gone through 1 set and I'm currently on my second. All from AZNOptics.
aamirani is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
BLKC300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300
Originally Posted by Bunkx9 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but my car eats up LEDs like crazy. I've literally gone through probably 32 - 40 LEDs from numerous sellers on eBay, AZNoptics, etc. since I bought my car. Every time I install new eyebrow LEDs, they last 3 months if I'm lucky. The side markers seem to hold up a little longer (1 month longer) and the rear license plate lights are usually the last to go (5-7 months).

At this point, I have completely given up on the eyebrow lights and pulled all of them out. I said F it and am leaving the sockets empty. Anybody else have this issue?


I feel your pain dude. I have gone through quite a few on the eyebrows. I have no LED's in two of them because they keep burning out. Not to mention I constantly have the error that tells me they are out which is annoying.
BLKC300 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 08:54 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
ickdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 524
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 M5 | 08 C300 (Sold)
I bought one pair from ebay and one of them broke literately in half. I returned them and the person was kind enough to refund so I was kind of happy about that. Just order a set from AZNOptics and gonna try those out. He said there was a one year warranty
ickdeep is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bunkx9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
I was browsing the old threads about the issue. A few members who gave up on LEDs bought Polarg M-4 "Hyper white" bulbs and liked them. I may try them out just for kicks.
Bunkx9 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
jimbowmanjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300
Likewise I gave up and went back to stock bulbs. One of them actually broke off in the eyebrow and I still need to fish it out of there at some point. Really irritating experience overall and I am reluctant to even bother trying again.
jimbowmanjr is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aznmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,310
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 c300
I've bought the ones below in April last year for my interior lights and eye brow and still going strong till today. I did get like 2 bad ones (1 or 2 led in the bulb doesn't light up). But for the $ I spent (offered him $34 for the set of 20) I was fine with it. I guess the ones I got are pretty good if you guys are only lasting a few months. Maybe give them a try. He sells them in smaller quantity too

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=270966176140





Last edited by aznmode; 04-10-2014 at 10:48 PM.
aznmode is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM
  #8  
Newbie
 
speedyg0nz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Having the same problem, totally sick of replacing the LEDs. Will try the Polarg M4.

Are these the ones? http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/290901844840
speedyg0nz is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 179
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 4Matic, 2011 GL450, 2005 ML500, 2010 GL350 and 2003 SLK230
My eyebrow ones go out every couple weeks super annoying
B Marques is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bunkx9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
I've bought the ones below in April last year for my interior lights and eye brow and still going strong till today. I did get like 2 bad ones (1 or 2 led in the bulb doesn't light up). But for the $ I spent (offered him $34) I was fine with it. I guess the ones I got are pretty good if you guys are only lasting a few months

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=270966176140
Those look a lot higher quality than the ones I've been using.

After some searching, I broke down and bought these.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/2825-W5W-Er...9.htm?CartID=1

They have a heat sink and hopefully last longer than the ones I've been buying from AZNoptics. Michael is really knowledgable and is always quick to respond to PMs, emails, etc. but I've concluded that the wedge LEDs he sells are of poor quality. They look homemade and STILL don't offer a model that protects the circuit board from frying. Not to mention, I'm pretty tired of paying $20 for 2 lights that probably cost him $3.

Anyway, I'll report back after I put them in. If they break, I'm done.

Last edited by Bunkx9; 04-10-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Bunkx9 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aznmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,310
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by Bunkx9 View Post
Those look a lot higher quality than the ones I've been using. After some searching, I broke down and bought these. They have a heat sink and hopefully last longer than the ones I've been buying from AZNoptics. Michael is really knowledgable and is always quick to respond to PMs, emails, etc. but I've concluded that the wedge LEDs he sells are of poor quality. They look homemade and STILL don't offer a model that protects the circuit board from frying. Not to mention, I'm pretty tired of paying $20 for 2 lights that probably cost him $3.

Anyway, I'll report back after I put them in. If they break, I'm done.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/2825-W5W-Er...9.htm?CartID=1
Did you buy the 20? He's got smaller quantities too. Also make sure you don't push the bulbs all the way in. I hear that causes them to burn out faster. Once you feel them go all the way in, pull them out slightly and leave them that way.
aznmode is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bunkx9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by speedyg0nz View Post
Having the same problem, totally sick of replacing the LEDs. Will try the Polarg M4.

Are these the ones? http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/290901844840
Yep, those are the ones. I bought 2 sets on eBay to replace the LEDs I just bought if/when they fail.
Bunkx9 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bunkx9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
Did you buy the 20? He's got smaller quantities too. Also make sure you don't push the bulbs all the way in. I hear that causes them to burn out faster. Once you feel them go all the way in, pull them out slightly and leave them that way.
I didn't buy the same ones you got, I put a link to mine in my last post. (From iJDMtoy). Oh believe me, I'm an expert in replacing these things at this point. Push it all the way in, pull it out slightly to prevent the circuit board from touching the leads, etc. The ones I just bought look like that won't be much of an issue since they have a heat sink that separates the connector point from the resistors. We'll see I guess
Bunkx9 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aznmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,310
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by Bunkx9 View Post
I didn't buy the same ones you got, I put a link to mine in my last post. (From iJDMtoy). Oh believe me, I'm an expert in replacing these things at this point. Push it all the way in, pull it out slightly to prevent the circuit board from touching the leads, etc. The ones I just bought look like that won't be much of an issue since they have a heat sink that separates the connector point from the resistors. We'll see I guess
Misread your post.
aznmode is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aowhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,044
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I have been using LEDs inside and out for the last 6 years and only had to replace my eyebrow lights only twice.
I never had to replace the full interior lighting, front turn signals and rear license plate.

I know that heat deteriorates LED at a much quicker rate, so I'm guessing the eyebrow lights being so close to the headlights will get more wear than the other lights.
aowhaus is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Rodpwnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 472
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
C300 sport
I've purchased two sets from AZNoptics and one of the inner eyebrow LEDs went out so I removed both inner eyebrow LEDs, and left the outer LED on each eyebrow. They sent me a replacement set and I just can't seem to get the inner LEDs to work again. I'll stick the old bulbs back in and they work flawlessly, but no matter what side (polarity) I use for LEDs, no matter how many times I reset the SAM, I can't get them to work...I'm seriously considering getting the polarg M4's, maybe they'll match my diamond vision bulbs better too. I'll see if my MB tech can get them to work.
Rodpwnz is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 AM
  #17  
Member
 
RavenMDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 215
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic Sport + Premium 2
LOL! I can feel the pain here

I have the same issues. I need to keep spares on hand to be able to keep up with the failures. I've been using AZN Optics but Mike said that new Gel-based v4 194 wedge are coming in the next few weeks which are supposedly much much better than anything that had before.

I'm curious about these Polarg M4s. My eyebrows get so hot (high voltage) that part of the AZNs will melt after a few short months. Would like to know if these Polarg are any better after long use.
RavenMDX is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:28 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Richard2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,128
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz View Post
I've purchased two sets from AZNoptics and one of the inner eyebrow LEDs went out so I removed both inner eyebrow LEDs, and left the outer LED on each eyebrow. They sent me a replacement set and I just can't seem to get the inner LEDs to work again. I'll stick the old bulbs back in and they work flawlessly, but no matter what side (polarity) I use for LEDs, no matter how many times I reset the SAM, I can't get them to work...I'm seriously considering getting the polarg M4's, maybe they'll match my diamond vision bulbs better too. I'll see if my MB tech can get them to work.
I installed AZN Optic LEDs a month ago, and I had a very frustrating time getting them to work in the eyelids, too. I'd find the right polarity, but then they would just stop working even after resetting the SAM several times. Eventually, I noticed that they were VERY sensitive to how far they should be pushed in. Literally, the slightest nudge of 0.5 mm would turn it off. So I just turned on the car, pushed the LED in and wiggled it until it turned on. Then I put it in the socket without the bulb bumping into anything, which would cause it to turn off again. It was very frustrating, but I did get them to work. These were V4's which replaced my V1's (which didn't have this issue).

Originally Posted by RavenMDX View Post
LOL! I can feel the pain here

I have the same issues. I need to keep spares on hand to be able to keep up with the failures. I've been using AZN Optics but Mike said that new Gel-based v4 194 wedge are coming in the next few weeks which are supposedly much much better than anything that had before.

I'm curious about these Polarg M4s. My eyebrows get so hot (high voltage) that part of the AZNs will melt after a few short months. Would like to know if these Polarg are any better after long use.
From past accounts back when Polargs were popular on this forum, they seem to change colors due to the heat from being trapped in the eyelid housing. They eventually turn green. lol.
Richard2011 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 AM
  #19  
Member
 
RavenMDX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 215
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic Sport + Premium 2
Originally Posted by Richard2011 View Post
From past accounts back when Polargs were popular on this forum, they seem to change colors due to the heat from being trapped in the eyelid housing. They eventually turn green. lol.
lol well if this is the case I will pass on the polargs. Heat is the main issue in the eyebrows.
RavenMDX is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Project C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: M'sia
Posts: 448
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C250
10 years with led

I've been using led since 2003 and from my experience Aznoptic V3 gel lasted longest and well designed. Maybe is the gel that makes it withstand so much heat. the earlier version china made product... Though they are not very bright but actually lasted more than 2.5 years. And it cost me only 5 usd.
Current waiting for Aznoptic gel v4... That color is awesome and Sooo bright... It truly brings out the real EYE at dawn! Hope it can last longer and better than v3 Gel version.
Project C is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 AM
  #21  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c350 sport
Polarg m4's used instead of LEDs

I used the Polargs on my 09 c350 sport because LEDs got way too hot when I tested them. I have led interior swap which is great, but the Polargs are much whiter than stocks. Here's a pic of m4's. If they turn color over time then I guess it's better than error msgs and blown lights left an right lol
Attached Thumbnails Tired of constantly replacing LEDs-image.jpg  
Mmorgan2987 is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Rodpwnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 472
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
C300 sport
Update on the LEDs and my MB tech: We tried installing the replacement set for the inner eyebrows and got very intermittent and inconsistent results. The slightest touch to the led positioning in the connector would turn it off. If I was somehow lucky enough to get it the eyebrow and have it turn on, it would flicker or turn off randomly within seconds. My tech pointed out that on the road, bumps may cause it to flicker or go out completely. My MB tech also showed me pulsating from the LED when it did function for a short time. He asked me if these LEDs were designed to spec for the car and obviously they weren't. He said I should stay away from LEDs because they have such high failure rates anyways. I think I'm going to contact mike about this because as of now my outer eyebrows are LED and my inners are stock haha. Strange how the outer eyebrows work fine though...
Rodpwnz is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 02:01 AM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 C300
Replaced mine with resistors and said screw it
Dizm is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 02:38 AM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes C300 Sport
Lol. Same here. Went with polarg and just accepted that the eyebrowse is what it is.
jluang is offline  
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London, U.K.
Posts: 222
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C220 Sport W204, 18" AMGs, Grey lthr, xenons, p'ktronic, HKardon, Comand nav.
Smile Polarg alternative

Never tried LEDs (although tempted). Had Polarg M4s in for over 3 years now - never replaced any. Pretty good match to the factory xenons on my car.
NewtwoMB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tired of constantly replacing LEDs


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: