C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dealership require fingerprint on new car purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subaru Impreza RS, Mazda CX-5, C250 Sedan
Dealership require fingerprint on new car purchase?

I was taking delivery of a 14 C250 base model with cash purchase, the dealer require my right thumb fingerprint to ensure I am the person of the identify and not someone stealing someone else's identity to buy a car. Prior to that, they did a credit check already to make sure I a clean person. They keep saying mercedes requires this to protect owners and the brand. Anyone has similar experience?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 mz3, '12 R6, '09 W204, '02 A4 B6, '14 IS350
Never heard of that before. i mean i understand dealers asking for S.S # for purchase and stuff. but fingerprints thats new. its probably u paying full cash?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c300
Originally Posted by shinjyo
I was taking delivery of a 14 C250 base model with cash purchase, the dealer require my right thumb fingerprint to ensure I am the person of the identify and not someone stealing someone else's identity to buy a car. Prior to that, they did a credit check already to make sure I a clean person. They keep saying mercedes requires this to protect owners and the brand. Anyone has similar experience?
I paid cash and didn't have to do fingerprints, I just get a cashiers check from the bank and signed my name on the lines. Never heard of fingerprints.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250
Originally Posted by shinjyo

Sounds like identity theft to me - on a corporate scale!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
AFAIK, here in the US, especially in the areas where Asians are more prominent, European cars are being shipped out to Asia daily. There is a very high demand for cars such as the GL, X5, and Cayenne. After taxes, the Asian countries pay three to four times the cost that people purchase these cars for in the US. Every time a new car is shipped out of the US, the dealership where the car came from gets fined $30000 USD. On top of that, the person that purchased the car gets placed on Blacklist from purchasing another European vehicle. People that are dealing these Euro cars to Asia are paying for example, $1000 per person to go to the dealers to sign a lease or purchase these vehicles under their own names. Basically people that are willing to be black listed from purchasing Euro cars for a period of time for quick cash. The customers looking to purchase an Euro car in Asia would rather buy from these private dealers than the official dealerships. The reason being that, even after the taxes imposed by the Asian country, the price is still cheaper than purchasing from offici dealerships.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subaru Impreza RS, Mazda CX-5, C250 Sedan
That's how the dealer explained to me when they request my fingerprint.
Originally Posted by W204white2010
AFAIK, here in the US, especially in the areas where Asians are more prominent, European cars are being shipped out to Asia daily. There is a very high demand for cars such as the GL, X5, and Cayenne. After taxes, the Asian countries pay three to four times the cost that people purchase these cars for in the US. Every time a new car is shipped out of the US, the dealership where the car came from gets fined $30000 USD. On top of that, the person that purchased the car gets placed on Blacklist from purchasing another European vehicle. People that are dealing these Euro cars to Asia are paying for example, $1000 per person to go to the dealers to sign a lease or purchase these vehicles under their own names. Basically people that are willing to be black listed from purchasing Euro cars for a period of time for quick cash. The customers looking to purchase an Euro car in Asia would rather buy from these private dealers than the official dealerships. The reason being that, even after the taxes imposed by the Asian country, the price is still cheaper than purchasing from offici dealerships.