C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Upgrading lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2014 | 11:57 AM

'08 Mercedes C300
Upgrading lights

How difficult would it be to upgrade all the headlight bulbs to a more powerful and better looking bulb/system?

Would it be as easy as just replacing the bulbs or does more stuff need to be installed near the housing of the bulbs?

Also I want to achieve a clean look on the car. I was wondering what to look for on the bulbs that would give me more of a white light rather than blue light... or other colors. I don't wont to turn the car into a Honda riceball, just upgrade the visibility of the car while still keeping that professional feel to it.
Old 05-18-2014 | 01:46 PM

2010 c300 sport 4matic
I just popped in Philips X-treme Vision H7s in my low beams and it immediately gave me much more usable light. I was only looking for an increase in visibility, and not any particular tuner type of color or hue.

I also purchased some Osram 65w "offroad" H7s that I plan to try after the X-treme Vision bulbs burn out. My seemingly compulsive research indicates the 65w Osram will not burn any of the harnesses or housing, but I have not tired them out myself.

So far for me, I just can't bring myself to alter any OEM part of the non-HID housing to accommodate aftermarket HIDs, and to have to hide/secure the ballasts, but many folks have successfully upgraded to aftermarket HID seemingly without any issues.
Old 05-18-2014 | 06:45 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Thanks for the info bro, I'll take a look around for some of those "Philips X-treme Vision H7" bulbs or get them online if all else fails. I looked them up and they seem to give off that exact look and power I'm looking for, thanks!

Also I would like to keep all the lights the same power/color, do they make bulbs that will fit each of the headlight parts? Driving light, high beams, fog lights, eye-lids (assuming they use different bulb?), and etc.

Last edited by Flawed; 05-18-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2014 | 07:49 PM

2012 C300 sport
Flawed, I have a 2012 C300and was looking to do the same thing you are for the same reasons. I brought a pair of Silverstars to the dealer and asked them to install. They said they would but warned me that even though the new bulbs were of the same wattage they had two cars that had the wire harness melt after installing new bulbs.(not only Silverstars) I also got the same answer from a second service advisor, so I suggest you check into this first. I decided not to install for now.
Old 05-18-2014 | 08:57 PM

R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by stratman1954
Flawed, I have a 2012 C300and was looking to do the same thing you are for the same reasons. I brought a pair of Silverstars to the dealer and asked them to install. They said they would but warned me that even though the new bulbs were of the same wattage they had two cars that had the wire harness melt after installing new bulbs.(not only Silverstars) I also got the same answer from a second service advisor, so I suggest you check into this first. I decided not to install for now.
It's extremely easy to install headlight bulbs.

To put it in prospective, Service managers cover their bottom by saying this *in case* something goes wrong, they won't be liable.
Old 05-18-2014 | 09:06 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
With halogens, you can't have both - whiteness and performance. Phillips "white" bulbs filter out light from the lower end of the colour temperature spectrum, which is the yellowish light. The closer to "pure" white your bulbs are, the less light output you will get. I have Phillips "Crystal vision" for my low beams, which technically aren't legal for use on Canadian roads, but have decent light output, and are very white. Philips makes "Diamond vision" bulbs which are even whiter, but have extremely low light output.

You can swap the bulbs without any other hardware. I would recommend putting LEDs in your parking light "eyelids", and replacing your low beam bulbs with one of Philips H7 bulbs, the Crystal Vision or Diamond Vision.
Old 05-18-2014 | 09:32 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by JaredP
With halogens, you can't have both - whiteness and performance. Phillips "white" bulbs filter out light from the lower end of the colour temperature spectrum, which is the yellowish light. The closer to "pure" white your bulbs are, the less light output you will get. I have Phillips "Crystal vision" for my low beams, which technically aren't legal for use on Canadian roads, but have decent light output, and are very white. Philips makes "Diamond vision" bulbs which are even whiter, but have extremely low light output.

You can swap the bulbs without any other hardware. I would recommend putting LEDs in your parking light "eyelids", and replacing your low beam bulbs with one of Philips H7 bulbs, the Crystal Vision or Diamond Vision.
I like that.

I got these LED's picked out for the Eyelid.

Amazon.com: Classy Autos White LED Eyelid Light Bulbs No Error W204 for Mercedes Benz (4 Pieces): Automotive Amazon.com: Classy Autos White LED Eyelid Light Bulbs No Error W204 for Mercedes Benz (4 Pieces): Automotive

and I got this video for the Crystal Vs Diamond vision.

I liked look of the Diamond ones because I feel like they will go better with the LED Eyelids. But the Crystal ones appeared to give more light output and match stock color better as well.

Is it possible to install the ones from this video below?

If I can get it to look and perform like that I would be extremely pleased with the outcome of this project.
Old 05-18-2014 | 09:41 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
Get LEDs from aznoptics, they are a bit more expensive, but are of higher quality, and have circuitry to prevent error codes from being thrown. I have them in my car and they are great. Diamond vision would match them perfectly, I have Crystal vision and they almost match, but still look great. The LEDs are 5000k colour temperature, and Crystal vision are 4300k colour temperature. Diamond vision are 5000k colour temperature, but again, they will have extremely low light output.
Old 05-19-2014 | 02:47 PM

C300 4matic
Bulbs

Try this place: http://store.candlepower.com/h7bulbs.html I purchased the Philips Xtreme Vision lamps from them and I have the Osram Rally 65 Watt H7 in my wife's Subaru. Their prices are good and they know their stuff. You can e-mail them with all your questions.They have a mini wedge bulb for the eye lid lights that are very bright.

Take a look at their website they are just about bulbs any type and read this article they have about bulbs and the light they give off. http://store.candlepower.com/osnibr.html

Nelson

Last edited by nelson g; 05-19-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2014 | 02:53 PM

2017 E300 Sport
Originally Posted by JaredP
Get LEDs from aznoptics, they are a bit more expensive, but are of higher quality, and have circuitry to prevent error codes from being thrown. I have them in my car and they are great. Diamond vision would match them perfectly, I have Crystal vision and they almost match, but still look great. The LEDs are 5000k colour temperature, and Crystal vision are 4300k colour temperature. Diamond vision are 5000k colour temperature, but again, they will have extremely low light output.
I installed the aznotics LEDs 2 years ago and have no problems with them. I also have the Diamond Vsion, which has the 5000k color temperature, but not the output power.
Old 05-19-2014 | 03:10 PM

2018 AMG C43 Coupe
I'll take a picture of mine later.

I have Philips Diamond Vision found
HERE HERE
. The color is great and the light output is a little low. I have not noticed it all that much. Maybe it's because of the parking lights.

For the parking bulbs I have the AZN Optics LED's found HERE. I am very happy with them. I feel their awesome brightness offsets the lower light output from the Diamond Vision. Could be in my head...

Finally I have clear LED sidemarkers found http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-2012-14-MERCEDES-W204-COUPE-SEDAN-WHITE-LED-CLEAR-BUMPER-SIDE-MARKER-LIGHT-/151284633371?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2339444f1b. I think they look really really nice.

I'll post pics later tonight. Everything matches great and I feel it's pretty awesome. I have not done anything with the high beams yet.
Old 05-19-2014 | 04:22 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
I didn't read most of the posts, however I would just like to add some input that I performed a S2000 projector retrofit followed by Phillips D2S 6000k powered by 35k Denso Ballasts. Everything is OEM and the projector retrofit was performed on OEM C-Class halogen headlights. They were also opened up and the interiors of the headlight were painted Satin Black; in replace of the ugly chrome.

These projectors are considered the best on the market. If you would like pictures of the cutoff or light output let me know.
Old 05-19-2014 | 05:14 PM

'08 C350 Sport
I am planning to get a D1S Xtreme Vision for Diamond Vision. Do you guys know the difference in term of light output of D1S vs H7? My car is stock bi-xenon. I would assume the same?

w204_Generic, do you know where I can get the Satin Black headlight housings? I assume I could paint it too but I try to cut down that process so in the future I could put the stock housing back on
Old 05-19-2014 | 05:40 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by c350nubie
I am planning to get a D1S Xtreme Vision for Diamond Vision. Do you guys know the difference in term of light output of D1S vs H7? My car is stock bi-xenon. I would assume the same?

w204_Generic, do you know where I can get the Satin Black headlight housings? I assume I could paint it too but I try to cut down that process so in the future I could put the stock housing back on
I bought them off another member on here. They were brand new and never installed by him. He bought OEM C-Class headlights brand new from eBay, and then had all the work done by a company called LightWerkz. The are very professional with automotive lighting, however very expensive. It cost the man that decided to perform the S2000 projectors and painted interiors $2,000. Plus the purchase of the brand new halogen W204 tail lights on eBay.($800)

So I have my OEM stock headlights with no Mods done to it, and now have the OEM headlights worked over by LightWerkz installed on my car.

You could contact LightWerkz to see if they can just paint the housings for you. I like to get things professionally done, besides DIY, unless its something basic like a spoiler install.
Old 05-19-2014 | 06:20 PM

'08 C350 Sport
Thanks for the info! I will check with them. If its too expensive I will resort to tinted head lights. I was following xxHotelCrazyxx thread about DIY black painted housing for a while but never had the courage to pull it off. My main concern is about sealing the head lights back. I am afraid it will pose a long term threat with water getting in, condensation... :|.

Last edited by c350nubie; 05-19-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2014 | 06:49 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by c350nubie
Thanks for the info! I will check with them. If its too expensive I will resort to tinted head lights. I was following xxHotelCrazyxx thread about DIY black painted housing for a while but never had the courage to pull it off. My main concern is about sealing the head lights back. I am afraid it will pose a long term threat with water getting in, condensation... :|.
Yeah I would rather have it professionally done. I'll show you what mine looks like in comparison to his. LightWerkz also offered extra sealant which was included with mine.
Old 05-21-2014 | 09:48 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Just installed the clear side markers with a bit stronger light bulb. Took some photos and will probably make an updated DIY for it later this week when I get some free time to draw a little diagram. The previous DIY didn't mention metal screw and latch on bottom.

Upgrading lights-uambt4dl.jpg

(broke old hazard lights so I can get better leverage to pull it to get the screw to come out on other side. Also didn't want scratch paint with screw driver)

Upgrading lights-zwzuex0l.jpg
Upgrading lights-sonhdzsl.jpg

I was looking through the forum a little and found a picture of this C63, and I really liked the eyelids on it. I think putting white LED eyelids might be a little too much white light all over the place and the eyelid will lose it's definition. I like the way the amber-ish light actually makes it look more like an eyelid.

I was also looking through aznoptics for the right LED's but I don't know much about lighting. What type of LED bulb or socket are in the stock headlights of an '08 C300? And how do I know it will be a nice intense/strong light?
Old 05-21-2014 | 11:38 PM

'08 C350 Sport
You are one of those rare cars with the screws not all car have screws for side markers.
For headlights stock low beam is H7 (sport model) and eyebrow is wedge 194.
Old 05-27-2014 | 09:49 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Just an update for anyone who still cared, or anyone thinking about doing this in future... I just received my first package from AZNOPTICS, 4x Amber 194 wedge LED bulbs.

Here is the comparison between the stock bulbs and LED bulbs.

Upgrading lights-hwp3suwl.jpg
Upgrading lights-oyxfvqpl.jpg
Upgrading lights-8t893pzl.jpg
Upgrading lights-z6lbxxul.jpg

Not really too impressed with the light output from the LED, I was expecting it to be much brighter. The stock lights fill the glass housing more than the LED's.

I ordered another paid of LED's from AZNOPTICS, 2x 5000k LED which I was going to use for side markers. I also ordered 2 pairs of Philips Diamond Vision h7 bulbs which I hope won't be as disappointing as the LED's I invested $60 in. Was better off buying $10 bulbs from local autoshop.

Does anyone know what size bulb the turn signal lights are? Would these LED's possibly fit in there? I may just end up sticking them in there and using the 5000k ones in eyelids depending on how they perform when I get them.
Old 05-28-2014 | 12:22 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Amber (and any tinted) LED won't be as bright as unfiltered white LEDs or even most halogen bulbs. You're getting it for the color.
Old 05-28-2014 | 07:23 AM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Amber (and any tinted) LED won't be as bright as unfiltered white LEDs or even most halogen bulbs. You're getting it for the color.
Yeah I was hoping it was just the amber ones but wasn't sure until i receive the 5000k ones to compare them with.

Its a shame though, if it was just a bit stronger then i could have pulled off that amber look.

Last edited by Flawed; 05-28-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2014 | 10:13 AM

2011 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Ultrasport, 2010 Subaru Forester
I think it looks very good from the photos. Nice amber color compared to stock. Do they match the stock amber side markers?
Old 05-28-2014 | 03:11 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by oaybar007
I think it looks very good from the photos. Nice amber color compared to stock. Do they match the stock amber side markers?
I think the stock side markers were clear light bulbs with amber colored glass housing giving it the amber look. Same bulbs as the stock eyelids I believe.
Old 06-02-2014 | 10:13 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
FML. Is this bad?
Upgrading lights-uw9fvvil.jpg
Upgrading lights-df82zzrl.jpg

It doesn't light up anymore. just before putting it in the socket there is small glimmer of light (about %3 light output) then it stays off.

It was difficult to pull out the bulb holders in certain areas, particularly the driver side where there is a bunch of crap blocking it. So I had to use some tools to help pull it out, I may have clipped the cable just a tad bit.

Can I fix this myself? Or should I just take it to the dealer?
The worst part about it is that I was done with everything. Had to pull it one more time and it breaks.

Last edited by Flawed; 06-02-2014 at 11:40 PM.