C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C250 vs. 328i

Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
C250 vs. 328i

Ok, I'm conflicted here and just wanted to hear from the Benz people! I've driven the C class and E class Mercedes and really loved the E class coupe, but pricing and availability make it pretty hard to justify. I originally wanted the new W205, but I need to make a choice now and the C350 originally caught my eye, but, available models in my area just don't appeal to me.

So I'm settling in on a C250 with a 27 month lease and will target the W205's once that lease is up. However, while coming to that decision, I went out and test drove the BMWs and can get a far more loaded 328i for roughly around $50/mo or can get a far more spacious 3 series GT for around $150/mo more. I'm ruling out the GT because the visibility in that car is horrendous, although it's a beautiful car and reminds me of a smaller and sportier X6.

So now I'm down to a sporty, fun and loaded 328i or a modest C250. I personally feel the Mercedes brand is more "distinguished" and really like the idea that the new W205 can be had in about a year and half. I can save some money as well and will feel good about the Mercedes, but I wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this and what made you go with the "Benz"?

Last edited by TexBenzo; 06-09-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
You are in luck. I have both. A 2013 C250 Luxury and a 2012 328i Luxury Line (F30).

The BMW was $5k more expensive, with the only added features being heated steering wheel, easy open trunk, head up display, dakota leather and 18in wheels.

The Benz has a back up camera - BMW doesn't.

Anyway, the ONLY thing the BMW is better at is 0-60 and MPGs. The older cheaper Benz is more comfortable, handles just as well, gets almost as good MPGs. And according to C&D test, faster in some way and better handling in some ways.

But really, the main problem with BMW is the rattles and interior and exterior build quality (sucks).

Both cars have issues with interior door handles. My BMW interior door handle broke. I hear the W204 Benz has issues as well.

But both are fine cars. I imagine in base models they are even more similar.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM

2013 C250 Sport
When I test drove both, the fit and comfort of the c250 was alot better then the 328i. Fully loaded the 328i is pretty nice, but lower models felt like driving a big nosed boat to me. The the interior just felt like vast amounts of blank space. I'm over exageratting but thats how I felt, like glove box felt like it was a mile away.

Handling felt pretty similar in the 2 cars also, only difference was engine. Start and stop on the bmw was horrid.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
If you were buying I would say Benz all the way. Since you're leasing I'd just say drive both and get the one you like best. I think the 2012+ w204 is a little nicer inside, but the BMW will have newer electronics if you're getting GPS, etc. Most folks say the BMW is a bit sportier ride. FWIW the new turbo engine on the BMW is under rated. That power is at the wheel, not at the crank like the MB.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
I vote for the 3 if and only if you are getting it with the m sport package
Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Better buy a $1000 car from craigslist...and wait for the w205 to come out since you are leasing anyway. Do that and you have a beater to use and won't regret not waiting for the new c-class.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
If you wait for the W205 to come out, you will have a newer and fresher design with more technology, but the distance between that and the 3 Series on sportiness will grow even more. The new C is a "mini-S", and early road tests have suggested there is nothing sporty about it.....it's a small luxury sedan. If that is your taste, waiting a bit may make sense (if you trust a first year car in a new plant), but if you want sporty, MB is leaving that further and further behind.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport and 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech
I had no intention of getting a MB when I shopped last year. Having owned 3 BMWs before I expected to get another. TheRulesLawyer is right- just test drive 'em and pick what feels right to you. The Sport C250 suprised me with its handling and steering feel. The Bimmer's steering was too light to enjoy. Same for the A4. The ATS's engine was way too noisy on acceleration.
After 15,000 miles and 17 mos., my C250 is rattle and squeak free- feels brand new still. I have no idea how many cars I've owned in my58 yrs of driving, but the Benz is by far the best driving car for me.
Good luck on your choice.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 PM

C250
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have actually driven both cars and to be honest, the BMW feels a bit more "sporty" and by that I mean, it was a stiffer / more responsive drive and quicker. However, the Mercedes just feels like the right blend between sporty and luxury with the overall drive giving you a pleasant feeling... kind of like wanting to take a drive down a long stretch of highway along the beach.

I would wait for the W205, but since it's a first run car, I have a feeling it may have some issues that need to get ironed out in the next model... I believe Sportstick pretty much hit the nail on the head. Plus the W205 will only come 4MATIC until probably late spring next year ( just citing what my salesperson told me ), so I would probably be a year in before the RWD models become mainstream. In addition to that, I have a feeling Mercedes will not be dealing the new C Class for awhile making lease prices balloon. If I lease now, then I can become a Mercedes loyalty customer which should help with the lease pricing once I'm ready to move on to the W205.

I've pretty much done everything at this point except sign the lease agreement, which I'll probably be doing tomorrow or Thursday and hopefully getting the vehicle on Friday. I think I made the right choice and can't wait to be a part of the Mercedes family. If everything goes through, I'll post pics this weekend!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 PM

2011 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Ultrasport, 2010 Subaru Forester
I think you'll be happy with the Benz. I shopped so many models between Audi, BMW and MB a few months back and the MB chassis design in the w204 just has a good balance of comfort and just enough sportiness. The exterior design is also aging very well. Where the MB lacks is in driver feedback (numb steering), but out of a daily driver that's not such a bad thing. There's a lot to be admired in having a car that shuts the outside world out and offers you comfort and capable performance.

Like you said, in the MB you enjoy the drive itself while the BMW makes you enjoy the act of driving. I think both would be great to own. It's all about your preference and what makes you happy!

Good luck and post pics either way!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Doa
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
W205
once you go benz you never want a BMW again.
we also have both the C class (me) and 3 series (my girlfriend)
i always feel like i've been degraded when driving the BMW. only the throttle response is better but for 99% of the time i'm on the road i don't give a crap about being 1sec faster on the 0-100km/h
Old 06-12-2014, 10:02 PM

C250
Well, I'm officially part of the MB family now! I just took delivery of my MB and the driving today has been very enjoyable... I know I made the right choice!

I'm getting her properly cleaned as the delivery service did a pretty horrible job. There were still stickers on the inside, the windows were dirty and the exterior was spotty. I just might be expecting a bit much, but I've taken delivery of lesser cars that were better prepped. Once I have a nice clean on her, I'll post some pics.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
congrats! colors? options? good deal??
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
c250 is head to head with 320i not 328i
Old 06-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by TexBenzo
Well, I'm officially part of the MB family now! I just took delivery of my MB and the driving today has been very enjoyable... I know I made the right choice!

I'm getting her properly cleaned as the delivery service did a pretty horrible job. There were still stickers on the inside, the windows were dirty and the exterior was spotty. I just might be expecting a bit much, but I've taken delivery of lesser cars that were better prepped. Once I have a nice clean on her, I'll post some pics.
Did the dealer try to charge you for a 'detail' prior to delivery? That was a line line along with the usual doc fees when I bought mine.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM

C250
@Snowmuch - Yeah, the 320i is definitely the more comparable car to the C250, that was the BMW they offered instead. I'm sure I could've pursued the 320i to get more in line with the leasing price with the C250, however, the monetary difference wasn't enough for me to pinch pennies and I personally would've preferred the C350, but availability made that difficult. Regardless, after a few days with the C250, I certainly can't complain about power because the 4cyl turbo is more than enough to make the car "zippy" and the overall feel is just sporty enough.

@Spyked - Thanks! I got the steel grey with black interior. As far as options go, I kept it modest since it's a lease and only got the multimedia, sports, premium and lighting package. I've gotten nothing but compliments on the car and everyone LOVES the steel grey color. As far as a good deal, I probably could have done better as I got $615/mo, 12K/27 mos, zero down and maintenance A / B. I think I've seen some people get in the mid $500s for a similar lease, but I'm not complaining as I easily saved a few hundred dollars over my car payment on my previous vehicle.

@TheRulesLawyer - No, there was no charge for detailing, it was just plain delivery of the vehicle. My previous experience has been full tank of gas, nice detailing on inside & out, a couple of free car washes and and one free oil change... usually. At Mercedes, I got a nice gift box with keys, cool looking Mercedes key chains, a nice pen, full tank of gas, to be desired detailing inside / out and a "congratulations!" with a hand shake. Don't want to complain because it is a beautiful car, it was just a shame that beauty wasn't on full display on delivery.

I'm loving this car and as long as the service and customer care keep a gold standard, they have a new Mercedes customer for life. It almost feels like an accomplishment to get to the point to drive such a nice vehicle day in and day out.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 PM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
Nice choice Tex. Are you in Canada? Over $500 for a lease on any C class is sorta crazy unless you rolled in LOTS of negative equity or something. I know Canada changes things dramatically.

And don't compare the 320 to the C250. The 320 is 180hp like the base A3. Your car definitely competes with the 328i. I know from personal experience. Congrats again!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:46 PM

C250
Ouch, you gotta be kidding me??!! Under $500 on a Mercedes lease that's fairly loaded? I mean the MSRP was like $45K on mine, and I know the general rule of thumb is like 1% of MSRP for lease payments, but once you threw in maint. and mileage, I thought low $600 was pretty good. This is good information to know as this is my first Mercedes lease ( I did a Ford lease long ago and will never do that again ) and having this kind of info is good to make those salesmen and dealers go sharpen their pencils a little more next time.

Anyways, no, I live in the US... TEXas as a matter of fact. Still absolutely loving the car and even my wife ( who only likes to drive SUVs, even as petite as she is ) loved the car also. I have a feeling we'll be doing a lot more weekend adventures in my car than her SUV.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport and 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech
I'm in TX also. You can pick any lease payment you want. Mine's $376/mo for loaded Sport C250 (multimedia, P1, spoiler, wood trim). I had decent equity in my GTI trade in and added a little cash.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 PM

2013 W204, 2015 X204
I am $349/month, 30 month lease. 10k miles per year. 20k miles maintenance package (first A and B).

Fairly well equipped car. $43k. I put $2000 down.

But I'm not in Texas, so pricing is different by region I'm sure.

Also, while my payment is super low, my residual is way too high - $29k!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 PM

C250
I have driven 328i before they feel more sporty and connected to the ground but I just purchased a 12 C250 today and am in love I traded my Stage 1 MK6 GTI for it and that was a monster and the Mercedes is all ready making me more happy and its really peppy for the 4cyl motor surprisingly.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM

C250
Well, the down payments certainly explain some of the difference in our payment amounts. I had sold my previous vehicle because I knew I would not get what I wanted in equity, so that would just ease negotiations. I had plenty of cash left from the sale of my vehicle, but those close to me who have leased luxury cars before told me "Never put any cash down on a leased vehicle... NEVER". So I insisted no cash down, even though they all asked for $4K down ( it sounded like a broken record to hear that at 4 different dealerships ) and after no cash down, payments started in the high 600 or low 700 range. After some back and forthing, and negotiations on other things, the payment settled in on $615.

I know I could have easily gotten the payment down another hundred to two hundred bucks with a couple of thousand down, but now all of the equity from the sale of my previous vehicle is in my stock account and earning cash for me. In the long run, I probably would have saved more cash by putting down money, but you never know, I could hit a stock honey hole over the next 2 years and out earn that down payment
Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM

C250
Seeing Spyked's deal, I probably would have put the $2K down. The difference in payment from 3 less months plus another 2K miles would probably only equate to another $100 a month in payment and put me at $449/mo. I would've earned back the $2K in payments alone, plus still had equity money left in the bank. I was willing to travel before to get a deal! ( called all major dealers from D/FW all the way to Houston... all of central Texas basically, settled on San Antone )

Sorry for not posting pics yet, weather has been bad in the area and we've actually gotten rain! It might clear up today, but I'm pulling the old girl into the garage today and putting some plasti dip on the chrome parts today. After that's done, then I'll get some pics. Anyone else done minor mods like this while on a lease? My wife is dead set against it, but I told her to chill because plasti dip peels right off and if anything, it'll actually protect the parts until I turn it in.

Last edited by TexBenzo; 06-15-2014 at 10:52 AM.