C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C63 Brake Upgrade On C300 - Detailed Experience and Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 c300 sport
I was looking for something like this. Thanks. The question is.. you just need to replace Caliper, rotorS? Do you have the part number for the bracket to hold the rear and front caliper, thanks

Originally Posted by buklae620
Two years ago, I helped my Mom purchase a 2011 Mercedes C300 sport sedan. It was her first Benz. After seeing the C63, She wanted to incorporate certain parts of the C63 onto her C300. The first thing I did was add an OEM C63 rear diffuser and the quad tips.

After that, she wanted to incorporate the big 6 piston brakes along with some 19 inch HRE P44SC wheels. I did a lot of research on the big brake upgrade for the W204 chassis. I found a random 2011 MB C63 while surfing carmax.com and I noted the VIN number. This VIN number would be useful in obtaining the front and rear calipers. Do note that the VIN number I used was for a C63 without the performance package. I think the performance package has red calipers. The one tied to my VIN had silver. Not sure what the differences are between the red and silver calipers.
While doing research on the brake upgrade, I ran across this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...04-sedans.html

While the price of the kit in the thread located above was high and probably justified, I was determined to piece together my own kit for a little less than what DCTMS was asking. I ended up creating an excel spreadsheet listing prices from the local Mercedes dealer here in Wichita and two other websites that I found while lurking the forums of MBWorld.org The two other websites were www.getmercedesparts.com and www.mymercedesparts.com The only thing I needed from DCTMS was the caliper adapters which I did order and receive in a timely manner. It was best to call DCTMS rather than email or private message through mbworld.org.

I priced out parts from mymercedespart.com, getmercedesparts.com and the local Mercedes dealer in Wichita. I ended up placing an order for C63 front and Rear calipers with mymercedesparts. The order also came with the bolt parts kit (the kit that includes the plate and pins that hold the brake pads in the caliper).

Mymercedesparts provided the best price between the 3 places that I checked. My mom made another request – she wanted the calipers to be Lamborghini orange. This left me two options – either have a body shop spray the calipers or have them sent out for powder coat. I checked with local body shops in my city to see if any of them would be up for the task.

One hot rod shop had sprayed brake calipers for a few Corvette customers with no problem. Other places had never done such a thing and recommended that the calipers be sent out to powder coat for long term durability. After talking to a few Corvette owners, I was referred to a Mike Golding at www.thepowdercoater.com

I sent an email inquiring about rates, turn-around time, and pictures of his work. Mike stated that he would disassemble, powder coat, and then re-assemble the calipers for what I thought was a reasonable price. His price ended up being cheaper than some of the quotes I was getting from local body shops. After the C63 calipers came in from mymercedesparts, I sent them out to Mike Golding for some Lamborghini orange color along with being re-branded with brembo decals. My Moms C300 is not an AMG vehicle so I wasn’t about to have her look like a poser by running AMG decals on a NON-AMG vehicle. Plus the AMG calipers were made by brembo anyway because somewhere on the caliper I saw “brembo” engraved into the body. It took him about a week to get it all done. Now the color isn’t an EXACT match to the Arancio Borealis lambo’s you see running around in this world, but it is DARN CLOSE. I was very impressed with Mike’s work, communication and service when the calipers got back to me.

Now the only thing I was missing were front and rear brake rotors along with front and rear pads. A friend of mine who is a shop manager at the local Sears really wanted to help out so he was kind enough to run prices for me in regards to C63 front & rear rotors, and front and rear pads. I was kind of weary about putting aftermarket rotors and pads on my Moms car, but since my friend really wanted to help with this project I went ahead and allowed him. Plus, I was willing to experiment with aftermarket stuff on this vehicle for curiosity sake. My Mom didn’t need anything high-performance like EBC, Akebono, or Porterfield RS-4’s. After all, this C300 is her daily driver. Not a track car.

He was able to get me some Duralast Front and Rear Rotors from AutoZone along with Wearever Gold front and rear brake pads from Advance Auto parts. All at his price scale which ended up being much cheaper than if I were to walk into the store and get them. Unfortunately, the Wearever Gold rear pads were incorrect. I didn’t experience this until I started the brake upgrade. It was about 8pm at night and almost everywhere was closed except one AutoZone store. Luckily, they had some Duralast rear brake pads for a C63. I wanted to keep the project moving so I ended up getting the rear brake pads from AutoZone.

The install of the C63 brakes onto the C300 was just like any other brake job that I’ve done. If you’ve done brake jobs that required removing rotors, pads, and calipers on any other vehicle, the concept is no different when it comes to Mercedes. The rear calipers and rotors bolted on easily. Almost like a direct fit. The front calipers were a little more difficult because those things are huge. The OEM C63 caliper brackets that came with the calipers need to be removed. The DCTMS caliper brackets will take their place. The DCTMS caliper brackets utilize the stock caliper bolts. I’ve tried to get some good pictures to show visual representation on how the caliper brackets look like when installed.

The installation of the front caliper brackets and calipers went rather smoothly with no issues. It was almost like a direct bolt-on. The front rotors measure about 14inches in diameter and are heavy. They are also a direct bolt on. No mods required. As for order of installation, I installed the caliper brackets to the hub first then put the caliper on top. There are two big allen head bolts (one at the top and one at the bottom) that will bolt onto the caliper brackets.

I did wonder about how much the added weight from the front rotors and calipers would add, but after driving the vehicle for over 1,000 miles it drives just like it did before. There were times where I thought the car accelerated slower, but maybe that was in my own head or due to the fact that I don’t drive the car daily as it is my Moms car. So far, she hasn’t voiced any complaints about the car other than that it’s a little noisier and the road is felt more. This is common especially when running big rims and low profile tire sizes.

The only issues that I encountered with this brake upgrade were the bleeding of the brakes. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND using a mityvac or custom built brake pressure bleeder as that will work wonders on bleeding the brakes especially if you’re doing the install by yourself. I had a mityvac hand vacuum pump and it sucked. I got tired of bleeding the brakes by using the hand vacuum pump. I don’t have a mityvac brake bleeder so I had a friend do the traditional “pump the brakes” method – One guy pump the brakes and one guy opens the bleeder valve.

After I finished bleeding the brakes, I went out for a test drive. The brake pedal feel felt like nothing had changed. I would’ve thought that with 6 piston calipers up front the brakes would be SUPER TOUCHY, but pedal feel felt like nothing had changed. I didn’t worry about this much and put more emphasis on if the car could actually stop and that there was no air in the system. I had my Mom take a drive in it to see if she liked the pedal feel or noticed anything different, but she said it felt fine. After 1,000 miles of driving she has not voiced any problems or complaints about the brake system.

As for the wheels, I called a few dealers in California, but ended up going with Dave at Wheel Enhancement as he gave me the best package deal. Before ordering, I did let him know what modifications were going to be done to the C300. He didn’t know if the HRE’s would fit on the C300 w/ the C63 brake upgrade, but he called HRE and got an answer back stating that the C63 brake upgrade would be factored into the order of the wheels.

As for tire sizes he recommended 235/35/19 Fronts and 275/30/19 Rears. I was worried about rubbing with the 275 in the rear, but with a subtle 1” drop from a Bilstein B14 coil over setup I thought I’d give it a shot and see.

The package went as follows:
Fronts = 19x8.5 ET47
Rears = 19x10 ET 53
Finish: Brushed Tinted Aluminum
Tires: Hankook V12 Evo 2
Front = 235/35/19
Rear = 275/30/19

Wait time for the P44SC’s were about 5 weeks. I was getting anxious after 3, but when they showed up at my door step, I immediately opened the box and was in awe! The 5 week wait was absolutely worth it. The brushed tinted aluminum finish is hard to see in pictures. It’s one of those finishes that have to be seen in person to truly see the quality. I had been to HRE’s facility back in May 2013 and walked out of there VERY IMPRESSED with their operations.

The stock 18” OEM 7 spoke wheels my Mom had before the brake upgrade would not clear the 6 piston front calipers. The rear wheels cleared fine, but the fronts were a different story. I did some research to find out why. The size, width, and offsets of the 7 spoke wheels were the same as the 5 star wheels seen on some C300’s. In the brake upgrade thread located here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...04-sedans.html

It is shown that the 18” 5 star wheels DO CLEAR the big brake setup. Ivan at DCTMS did warn me that he did not know if the 7spoke wheels would clear. I am going to conclude that the 7 spoke wheels would not clear due to the spoke design. It didn’t really matter much to me because I had 19” HRE P44SC wheels going on the car anyway. I have attached some pictures to show that the 18” 7 spoke wheels do not clear the 6 piston front calipers.

After installing the HRE's, I had 1 passenger in the front, and 1 in the rear to see if rubbing would occur. Rubbing only occurred on the passenger rear side during small bumps, but it is VERY QUIET. I think in order to eliminate this I would have to roll the fenders. I plan to do that later on down the road.

Overall, the experience from DCTMS was great. The product arrived to me in about 3-5 business days and it was installed with no issues. The powder coating service from Mike at thepowdercoater.com was great and the Lambo orange color is subtle and not too loud. Dave at Wheel Enhancement and the guys at HRE Wheels came through and provided a great set of wheels. The brake upgrade can be done by anyone who has mechanical knowledge of automobiles. My first career choice was automotive tech, so I went to a local community college and received my technical certificate. I ended up changing career paths after receiving it, but utilized the skills learned to put use towards my automotive hobby.

It has been a wonderful 2 year long project and as an avid car enthusiast I know that the time, money, and labor invested in the vehicle is something I will never get back, but in the end my Mom absolutely loves the way her vehicle looks. The Lamborghini orange brakes sitting behind 19” HRE P44SC’s just look absolutely awesome when rolling down the highway! I’ll admit that I am jealous of her car because it puts my 05 C230 on 19” iForged wheels to shame. I just hope she’ll let me drive it every now and then so I can enjoy it too. =) =) =)

The following users liked this post:
25th Car (10-15-2018)
Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 MB C230K Sport Sedan & 2011 MB C300
Originally Posted by candresarias
I was looking for something like this. Thanks. The question is.. you just need to replace Caliper, rotorS? Do you have the part number for the bracket to hold the rear and front caliper, thanks

Yes, you need to replace caliper and rotors. There is no part number for the bracket as it is a custom made item.

A bracket is not required to install the rear calipers. Only the front.

I'd recommend reviewing and studying the pictures along with the text as I have tried my best to outline the entire process and experience I encountered when doing the brake conversion.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 PM

2009 c300 sport
Can you help me with the info to get the brakets? So rear just remove and replace, right?
Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by candresarias
Can you help me with the info to get the brakets? So rear just remove and replace, right?

You will need to contact Ivan at DCTMS in order to purchase the caliper brackets. His phone number is 408-802-4500
The rears are remove and replace. The rear calipers are a direct bolt on. You may need to add a lock washer on the rear caliper bolts to help keep them secured.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Extremely tasteful and looks incredible!! Thanks for sharing!! That is one clean C!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:26 PM

C-Class W204 Elegance
Yes, you need to replace caliper and rotors. There is no part number for the bracket as it is a custom made item.

I'd recommend reviewing and studying the pictures along with the text as I have tried my best to outline the entire process and experience I encountered when doing the brake conversion.
Do we need to replace the front and rear brakes hoses? Or we can re-use the existing ones?
Old 10-04-2017, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Very interesting ... I'm familiar with Brembo installations as a Porsche owner, and have wondered what would be involved doing an AMG brake swap on my wife's 2014 C350 DD. So, referring to the fronts and checking for comprehension ... you used caliper adapters to mount the C63 calipers to standard C300 spindles (her car's spindle caliper mounting points are very likely same as the '11 C300), and then the C63 rotors fit directly on the C300 hubs.

BTW, in terms of unsprung weight, the standard car's cast-iron calipers are a hefty 14 lbs each, and I suspect the Brembo's are quite a bit less. That should offset some of the weight gain from the larger rotors, particularly if one uses a two-piece type with light-alloy hats.

Sounds like the only other required item was 19" wheels. Did C63's all come with 19s? Our car has AMG 18" split-star wheels, I'm wondering if any OEM 18" wheel would clear the calipers or if larger wheels are essential since that makes a pretty big swing in the overall scope and cost of the upgrade.

Update: Went to DCTMS' site and found that my particular 18's will accomodate in front, they actually have a photograph of this combination. And, if someone else pursues this and can post details on options/prices for 2-pc front rotors that would be interesting to know as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tom in Austin; 10-06-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by pmanis
Do we need to replace the front and rear brakes hoses? Or we can re-use the existing ones?
You do not need to replace the front and rear brake hoses. You can re-use the existing ones.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

None. We dismantle them :)
Very nice upgrade! The paint job looks awesome too.

How would you rate the braking performance before & after?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by pacificmotors
Very nice upgrade! The paint job looks awesome too.

How would you rate the braking performance before & after?

NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE! The car stops on a dime with the big brake upgrade. Before, the pedal feel was much more soft and required more pressure when braking. After the brake upgrade, pedal feel is firm and you can feel the pads grip/bite alot sooner.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Absolutely, the feel of Brembos is amazing, totally linear ... the more you push the more braking you get. Totally makes you wonder why cars use anything else!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:03 PM

C250 (C204)
BBK on a C204 C250 Coupe

Hi All

I have just finished fitting a BBK to a C204 C250 Coupe using the DCTMS adaptor bracket.

The front brakes are W/C204 C63 6 piston callipers (Brembo) with 360mm drilled discs, the rear are W/C204 C63 4 piston callipers with 330mm slotted & drilled discs.

It all went together without any problems, the only modification was to trim few cm for the rear of the front backing plated to allow the DCTMS bracket to fit.

All original C250 bolts and brake hoses fitted and the C63 brake wear indicators plugged straight in.

How do they perform? The braking is lighter but brakes quicker and very linear. There is no sudden bite as the brakes come on, the harder you push, the more braking you get. Without taking quantative measurements, seat of the pants says it brakes in about 1/2 the distance at any given speed if you want to stop in a hurry!

While the brakes were off I also fitted Eibach springs to the front and rear. They are still settling but I think the car will sit about 15mm lower than standard.

For those that are interested these are the mods done:
BBK front & rear
Eibach lower springs front & rear
Racechip GTS chip
GFB turbo diverter valve
Magnaflow 3 chamber muffler with straight through 2'' pipes
Mamba turbo muffler delete
AMG GT grill
AMG 18x8.5 & 18x9 wheels

Last edited by YUA504; 02-04-2020 at 11:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
miszaa (10-31-2023)
Old 03-14-2020, 12:26 AM

c250 w204 2013
DCTMS adapter

Hi

from where i can get it DCTMS Adapter for front and rear calipers w204 big brakes upgrades ?
Old 05-03-2021, 10:21 AM

E320 CDI
Hi can I just ask, what was the cost of the two caliper brackets please?

Many Thanks

Roy.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:51 PM

Mercedes 2012 C350 coupe m276
What's the part number of the caliper you got

Old 05-29-2021, 09:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
I think I'd have to put the $$ towards buying a better and/or newer car. Several thousand dollars for brakes that you will never push to their limit? Why? You've also increased your unsprung mass, as well as rotating mass. If you have to increase wheel size to accommodate the kit, you've also moved a greater amount of the mass of your wheels and tires further from the point of rotation. Doing so requires more power to accelerate and maintain that mass. Even if the wheels & tires are lighter.

Get some braided lines. Get some quality pads. Get some quality rotors.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:34 AM

and rotors you use

No I mean what was the part number for the caliper and rotors that
you use to make the Bracket work

Originally Posted by joseph espinoza
What's the part number of the caliper you got
Old 05-30-2021, 01:38 AM

What part number is the caliper and rotors that you used

Originally Posted by YUA504
Hi All

I have just finished fitting a BBK to a C204 C250 Coupe using the DCTMS adaptor bracket.

The front brakes are W/C204 C63 6 piston callipers (Brembo) with 360mm drilled discs, the rear are W/C204 C63 4 piston callipers with 330mm slotted & drilled discs.

It all went together without any problems, the only modification was to trim few cm for the rear of the front backing plated to allow the DCTMS bracket to fit.

All original C250 bolts and brake hoses fitted and the C63 brake wear indicators plugged straight in.

How do they perform? The braking is lighter but brakes quicker and very linear. There is no sudden bite as the brakes come on, the harder you push, the more braking you get. Without taking quantative measurements, seat of the pants says it brakes in about 1/2 the distance at any given speed if you want to stop in a hurry!

While the brakes were off I also fitted Eibach springs to the front and rear. They are still settling but I think the car will sit about 15mm lower than standard.

For those that are interested these are the mods done:
BBK front & rear
Eibach lower springs front & rear
Racechip GTS chip
GFB turbo diverter valve
Magnaflow 3 chamber muffler with straight through 2'' pipes
Mamba turbo muffler delete
AMG GT grill
AMG 18x8.5 & 18x9 wheels
Old 12-20-2021, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by mavi123
Hi

from where i can get it DCTMS Adapter for front and rear calipers w204 big brakes upgrades ?
I contacted Ivan at sales@dctms.com
Adapters are only needed for the front.

Originally Posted by joseph espinoza
What part number is the caliper and rotors that you used
Part numbers for the calipers that I used are as follows:
204-421-47-98
204-421-48-98
204-423-41-98
204-423-42-98

Part numbers for the brake rotors were
Duralast 76609
Duralast 76616

Old 12-20-2021, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by rtg0616
Hi can I just ask, what was the cost of the two caliper brackets please?

Many Thanks

Roy.
I think I paid about $510 bucks when I set out to do this project
Old 12-20-2021, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by karlt10
I think I'd have to put the $$ towards buying a better and/or newer car. Several thousand dollars for brakes that you will never push to their limit? Why? You've also increased your unsprung mass, as well as rotating mass. If you have to increase wheel size to accommodate the kit, you've also moved a greater amount of the mass of your wheels and tires further from the point of rotation. Doing so requires more power to accelerate and maintain that mass. Even if the wheels & tires are lighter.

Get some braided lines. Get some quality pads. Get some quality rotors.
As car enthusiasts I am sure we do mods to our vehicles where arguments like this are fair and valid. You've got some valid and reasonable points. I dont disagree with you at all as these points surely crossed my mind as I was researching this mod.

7 years and 86,000 miles later the car still runs perfectly fine and the brake upgrade has given me zero problems.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
hah crazy you still reply after all these years!
Old 09-19-2022, 08:21 PM

c300
Where did you get the caliper brackets for your upgrade on the c300 brembo upgrade from a c63 model
Old 09-20-2022, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by bestautobody
Where did you get the caliper brackets for your upgrade on the c300 brembo upgrade from a c63 model
DCT Motorsports
http://www.dctms.com/index.html

Old 09-26-2022, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 mercedes c300 4matic
I really wish I could do this with my 4matic 😔

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Brake Upgrade On C300 - Detailed Experience and Review