C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

K&N Apollo Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 MY10 C200CGI
K&N Apollo Intake

Hey guys,

I am seriously considering getting the K&N Apollo set up and modifying the intake on my C200CGI.

My game plan is to connect it to the empty cold air intake slot directly in front of the turbo (normally reserved for the V6 models).

My reasoning for the mod is that it will eliminate the severe bends found in the OEM system and produce a faster flowing system.

I would love to hear any suggestions/concerns/opinions from everyone.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
How will you deal with the sensor and hoses from the OEM pipe? I had a custom box made that fits a cone filter and uses the stock box, we actually found better low end tq from the stock box and panel filter (or K&N panel filter) over my custom box with cone filter. Your idea was one we looked into long ago but having to relocate/lengthen the stock sensors/hosing seemed unproductive to the process. However if you decide to do this I'd love to see pics and parts used.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:15 AM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
Not sure yet. I am a qualified Benz mechanic though, so my game plan is to apply some know-how and a bit of creativity.

I found an Apollo on ebay for a fraction of the retail price so it is on it's way. I will take pictures throughout the modification and let you know how it goes.

Shipping from Texas to Aus so it may take a while to get to me....
Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by AusMB87
Not sure yet. I am a qualified Benz mechanic though, so my game plan is to apply some know-how and a bit of creativity.

I found an Apollo on ebay for a fraction of the retail price so it is on it's way. I will take pictures throughout the modification and let you know how it goes.

Shipping from Texas to Aus so it may take a while to get to me....
I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 AM

W204 2012 C250 CDI
Originally Posted by Knightmare69
How will you deal with the sensor and hoses from the OEM pipe? I had a custom box made that fits a cone filter and uses the stock box, we actually found better low end tq from the stock box and panel filter (or K&N panel filter) over my custom box with cone filter. Your idea was one we looked into long ago but having to relocate/lengthen the stock sensors/hosing seemed unproductive to the process. However if you decide to do this I'd love to see pics and parts used.
Sorry for changing subject. How you manage to put a cone filter in the stock box..
Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by Alex_K
Sorry for changing subject. How you manage to put a cone filter in the stock box..
I had a custom airbox top made that would attach to the stock lower portion box, it allowed us to fit a cone filter in there, the cone filter isn't overly big, smaller than the BMS filter but longer if I recall.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:24 AM

C250
How did you test Dyno? Also did you check Intake Air temp with it covered and with out it covered? curious as to that I hear alot of people say oh the BMS intake is just a heak soak but turbo and downpipe are oppisite side of motor so its not that hot on driver side I would assume from logic.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 PM

2012 C250
bump

I am going to try and do this myself using carbon fiber weave to just bring a filter/box to one of the ram air entry points above the grill.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by odus
How did you test Dyno? Also did you check Intake Air temp with it covered and with out it covered? curious as to that I hear alot of people say oh the BMS intake is just a heak soak but turbo and downpipe are oppisite side of motor so its not that hot on driver side I would assume from logic.
Lol, please put your hand on the intake box next time you finish a drive and see if it's hot or not. Even logically, your engine compartment is essentially a oven with the hood closed so no matter that the turbo and DP are on the other side of the engine, it's still in the same vicinity when the hood is closed.

Originally Posted by Spd Racr
bump

I am going to try and do this myself using carbon fiber weave to just bring a filter/box to one of the ram air entry points above the grill.
Keep us up to date, I'd love to see what you come up with.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 AM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
Originally Posted by Spd Racr
bump

Keen to see that! If I could fabricate stuff myself...well, my fiance would never get me out of the garage....

Anyway,
K&N Apollo turned up the other day. I have to say, it is a little bigger than expected which has cause me to re-evaluate my plans. I am now looking at cutting the intake tube right below the Benz badge on the engine cover. I will then fit the Apollo between there and the cold air duct. This means the only thing that will need repositioning is the air pressure sensor which is easy enough.

However, as my car is also my daily driver, I can't really start hacking at the intake without a backup. I need to get to work so I can fund all my projects!

At this point, the build has stalled until I can track down a second intake that I can then modify at my leisure. If anyone has any leads, that would e great. I have had no luck with Australian wreckers and I don't want to spend the dollars on a new one from Benz.

on the Apollo itself:
seems very well made and looks the business.the casing makes it bulkier than I would like but that is the price you pay for a sealed unit.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C200 CGI
Originally Posted by AusMB87
Anyway,
K&N Apollo turned up the other day. I have to say, it is a little bigger than expected which has cause me to re-evaluate my plans. I am now looking at cutting the intake tube right below the Benz badge on the engine cover. I will then fit the Apollo between there and the cold air duct. This means the only thing that will need repositioning is the air pressure sensor which is easy enough.

However, as my car is also my daily driver, I can't really start hacking at the intake without a backup. I need to get to work so I can fund all my projects!

At this point, the build has stalled until I can track down a second intake that I can then modify at my leisure. If anyone has any leads, that would e great. I have had no luck with Australian wreckers and I don't want to spend the dollars on a new one from Benz.

on the Apollo itself:
seems very well made and looks the business.the casing makes it bulkier than I would like but that is the price you pay for a sealed unit.
Then you also have the issue of no duct for cooling the ECU unless you plan on making some sort of dual piped set up which feeds both the intake and the ecu. Also, from what you said, the Apollo itself is rather large so will your clearance for the fan and radiator be ok and how will you secure it if you decide on that particular position?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
Fan and radiator clearance is tight but ok, it will definitely fit. I will fabricate a bracket to mount it, that isn't a problem.

The ECU cooling is my only real concern at this point. I have a few thoughts but nothing solid yet. Maybe create a new duct somewhere, maybe reposition the ECU. It all really hinges on how the Apollo will sit in I think.

All said and done, it may simply be too much trouble. I guess I will see what's what when or if I get my hands on a second intake tube.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 PM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
so factory price on that intake tube is over au$500. Haven't had any luck with a second hand one.
I did rig up a very temporary set-up and took it for a spin. sounded just awesome.

I also pulled the intake off of the turbo to have a poke around. There is potential to just run a custom made hose from there. Then again, the outside diameter of the turbo is only 55mm so I'm not really convinced that a larger intake is going to do a whole lot of anything....