C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bubbling noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Bubbling noise

Hey guys, searched through the forum and found no answer to this strange noise I've been experiencing for the last few months: A bubbling noise, mostly quiet enough that I could ignore over music, but sometimes loud enough to be noticed, which happens when I am at a complete stop with the engine on.

Here's what I have.
My car is 2012 C250 Sedan.
The tech says no AC is dead silent, but this sound is just too weird.

1) Noise is only present when the engine is on. I can turn the ignition to 'ON' position and let the air flow with AC on or off, the noise never occurs (or if the noise was there it would suddenly disappear).

2) Noise present with the AC on of off as long as there's air circulation.

3) The noise often occurs immediately after a slight vibration I feel from the pedals. It feels like the car 'shivers' for a few seconds, followed by this mysterious sound. The vibration is also only present when the air circulation is on. If completely off (like no bars on the air level indicator) the vibration and noise never occurs.

4) The noise is similar to the bubbling sound from a magma, like air forcing its way through a thick liquid and popping.

Any idea what this is??
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:13 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Oh, and i already brought the vehicle in once for a routine check up, and the tech claims he did not find anything unusual.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
I have totally noticed a "glooping" sound like you described. When I first read bubbling, I thought it might be something different, but then when you said it sounded 'thicker', like magma, I was like "that's what I'm hearing!"

I'm not really sure of the circumstances, but I notice it every once in a while, after driving for a bit, then coming to a stop. I'm not noticed the shiver thing, but I can hear it at a standstill, with the engine running.

To be honest, I think I actually turned off my engine once and could still hear it a little bit. I was parked in my garage one time that I heard it, and though it was my hot water heater just inside the house.

It's so subtle and random that I haven't worried about it, but yes, I have heard it.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 PM

C250 2012
I think it's just AC condensation being removed from the lines.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:40 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Hi thanks for the reply.
Yea, after a quick search thru google I found similar posts about different manufacturers, mostly about trapped air in the system. The sound was described as bubble/gurgling from most users. I too am not heavily concerned about the noise as the vehicle runs great, but it's pretty annoying. One thing that worries me after reading through online material is the engine over heating after this noise becomes persistent.

Originally Posted by djejglk
I have totally noticed a "glooping" sound like you described. When I first read bubbling, I thought it might be something different, but then when you said it sounded 'thicker', like magma, I was like "that's what I'm hearing!"

I'm not really sure of the circumstances, but I notice it every once in a while, after driving for a bit, then coming to a stop. I'm not noticed the shiver thing, but I can hear it at a standstill, with the engine running.

To be honest, I think I actually turned off my engine once and could still hear it a little bit. I was parked in my garage one time that I heard it, and though it was my hot water heater just inside the house.

It's so subtle and random that I haven't worried about it, but yes, I have heard it.
Thanks for the input.
I'm returning to the dealership next monday to discuss this issue so i will add that on the list.

Originally Posted by Carlos.33193
I think it's just AC condensation being removed from the lines.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
When I first start my car after sitting for a few hours I SOMETIMES hear what can best be described as a gurgle or gargle sound. Like a fluid or air pressure type of thing. Goes away after 2-3 seconds. I always assume it's HVAC components coming online. No actual performance issues (A/C is coldest I've ever experienced!).
Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM

2013 C250 sport
While ac condensation is probable, the sound is way too "thick" to me to sound like water, or a thin liquid. It almost sounds like a large bubbles slowly surfacing in a thicker fluid, like oil, steering fluid, etc.

Either way, if it's "normal", so be it.

Please keep us informed makeinu0, if you make it to the dealership. I just got my 10,000 mile service done and don't plan on being back there for a while

and yes, the ac is WAY cold! good for texas for sure!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I've experienced this myself - my guess is that it is coolant in the heater core, though. I have noticed it when the climate control is on, but isn't really working hard (like when the ambient outside temp is 72* and the climate control is set the same).
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by spyked
When I first start my car after sitting for a few hours I SOMETIMES hear what can best be described as a gurgle or gargle sound. Like a fluid or air pressure type of thing. Goes away after 2-3 seconds. I always assume it's HVAC components coming online. No actual performance issues (A/C is coldest I've ever experienced!).
I think the sound you are hearing is different from mine, as I hear it after 5 ~ 10 minutes of driving at a complete stop/idle. The engine needs to be on as well.

Originally Posted by djejglk
While ac condensation is probable, the sound is way too "thick" to me to sound like water, or a thin liquid. It almost sounds like a large bubbles slowly surfacing in a thicker fluid, like oil, steering fluid, etc.

Either way, if it's "normal", so be it.

Please keep us informed makeinu0, if you make it to the dealership. I just got my 10,000 mile service done and don't plan on being back there for a while

and yes, the ac is WAY cold! good for texas for sure!
What you described, "large bubbles slowly surfacing in a thicker fluid" is what i hear in the car. I doubt it's normal as I started hearing this noise after a year, and is happening more frequently (been 5 months since i first noticed).

I will keep you guys updated, bringing the car in today.

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I've experienced this myself - my guess is that it is coolant in the heater core, though. I have noticed it when the climate control is on, but isn't really working hard (like when the ambient outside temp is 72* and the climate control is set the same).
Hmm... i actually noticed it to happen more when the climate control is set to "really cold" like in 60s F. I might try setting it room temp to see if it causes any difference.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Update:

Brought the vehicle in for inspection today @ local dealership.
The service rep sat in the car for a while, and although I pointed out that "the bubbling noise will not start unless we actually drive the car for a while, and then come to an idle" he did not drive the car, but told me he will mark it down on the tech sheet.

I drove out with a 2013 C250 loaner, and immediately noticed that the AC in the loaner is significantly quieter than my vehicle, and that turning it on/off does not cause any vibration (followed by the bubbling in my car) felt through the pedals. I called the service rep and left a message about this.

Let's see if they even try to find the cause. I probably won't pick up the car until they try something, at least fixing the vibration if not the sound too.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by makeinu0
Update:

Brought the vehicle in for inspection today @ local dealership.
The service rep sat in the car for a while, and although I pointed out that "the bubbling noise will not start unless we actually drive the car for a while, and then come to an idle" he did not drive the car, but told me he will mark it down on the tech sheet.

I drove out with a 2013 C250 loaner, and immediately noticed that the AC in the loaner is significantly quieter than my vehicle, and that turning it on/off does not cause any vibration (followed by the bubbling in my car) felt through the pedals. I called the service rep and left a message about this.

Let's see if they even try to find the cause. I probably won't pick up the car until they try something, at least fixing the vibration if not the sound too.
I remember when looking at some C250 CARFAX reports that A/C compressors have been repaired or replaced. Maybe a bad batch? I remember thinking it was odd since my A/C is like icicles. Maybe a TSB out there for 2012 models.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 PM

2013 C250 sport
Originally Posted by makeinu0
I think the sound you are hearing is different from mine, as I hear it after 5 ~ 10 minutes of driving at a complete stop/idle. The engine needs to be on as well.

What you described, "large bubbles slowly surfacing in a thicker fluid" is what i hear in the car. I doubt it's normal as I started hearing this noise after a year, and is happening more frequently (been 5 months since i first noticed).

I will keep you guys updated, bringing the car in today.

Hmm... i actually noticed it to happen more when the climate control is set to "really cold" like in 60s F. I might try setting it room temp to see if it causes any difference.
Interesting you mention the 'year' mark, I'll be at a year of ownership the end of june (bought brand new). I noticed the sound a few months ago.

There's a small chance that it was always happening and I just happen to notice it when I first did though.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Okay an update:
The dealer and techs did not confirm the sound. Yea no ***** since they need to first drive around the car as it only happens after a few miles of driving. But I highly doubt they took it for a spin, or even around the block, before trying to hear the sound. I will keep bugging them until they actually do this, but for now I need my car back more than a permanent remedy to this irking noise. I will keep experimenting with all your inputs until I figure out how to replicate it in front of the tech.

Thanks for the help guys. Once I do more research and get this cured I will sure to post updates here.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM

C250
hmm I don't have this on my 2012 hope it doesn't happen either.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by odus
hmm I don't have this on my 2012 hope it doesn't happen either.
yea I hope it doesn't happen to you, cuz its pretty annoying!

Here's a video of what it sounds like. Sorry for the low volume, probably will require additional speaker to hear the sound. Its that gushing/bubbling sound you hear in the background.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 PM

2015 C350 Coupe 4Matic
Bubbling noise

Has this issue ever been resolved? I am experiencing the exact same issue with my 2015 C350!
Same bubbling sound when I turn on the AC.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 AM

C200
Hi all,

This thread actually was started 3 years back, and im (W205) actually having the same issue as mentioned. i've sent to the service center for checking few months before, as what makeinu0 mentioned, the rep said there's air trapped inside the system. After done everything (sorry im not good in technical), the sound come back after a week. I just sent my car to the service center today, see if they could have a solution.
i've read quite number of cases are about the same, although it's normal, but i believe that some of us couldnt accept, including myself.

Im thinking of contacting HQ regarding on this issue if it cant solve, but a lot of members say they wont bother. Is there any other way we can do?

Hope anyone here if having the same issue, please update and share with me.
Thanks
Old 02-10-2020, 10:50 PM

Subaru forester 2003
Try this

I don't know if this could be related to the problems exposed in here, but today we had a A180 in the workshop with bubbling noise and other noise related to the opening and closing of the valves (engine on, aircon off).

We did not know what the issue were but one of the older mechanics in there suggested to use an engine flush and leave the vehicle running on idle for a while. We used two bottles, rev the engine to around 1500rpm for a couple of minutes and then left it at idle for around 20 minutes more. To our surprise both noises dissapeared after the treatment. Then we flushed the oil and filled the engine with new oil and added a new filter.

Other mechanic suggested to clean the oil sump, cause the issue seems to be a build up of dirt inside the engine that is blocking some oil paths.

Anyway. I just want to share my experience here that may be of help with some of you. Take in consideration that I'm an apprentice mechanic and I was going through the forum to see if there was a solution.

Regards.

Jorge

​​​​​
Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 PM

Subaru forester 2003
Try this

I don't know if this could be related to the problems exposed in here, but today we had a A180 in the workshop with bubbling noise and other noise related to the opening and closing of the valves (engine on, aircon off).

We did not know what the issue were but one of the older mechanics in there suggested to use an engine flush and leave the vehicle running on idle for a while. We used two bottles, rev the engine to around 1500rpm for a couple of minutes and then left it at idle for around 20 minutes more. To our surprise both noises dissapeared after the treatment. Then we flushed the oil and filled the engine with new oil and added a new filter.

Other mechanic suggested to clean the oil sump, cause the issue seems to be a build up of dirt inside the engine that is blocking some oil paths.

Anyway. I just want to share my experience here that may be of help with some of you. Take in consideration that I'm an apprentice mechanic and I was going through the forum to see if there was a solution.

Regards.

Jorge

​​​​​