C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Today is not my day. Highway patrol gets a small win.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Today is not my day. Highway patrol gets a small win.

Got pulled over again for tints and no front plate.

Originally started with 20 fronts and 20 rears when purchased the car new, then after 2 fix-it tickets later gave up and changed to 35 fronts and 20 rears.

I thought I was safe with 35 but it looks like I'll be going 50 fronts and 20 rears moving forward. Now I see the benefits of dark colored cars vs light ones since my wife's car is 35 fronts and 20 rears and have yet to be harassed (also with no front plates).

I'm not sure if it's because of color in general (the w204 is white) or because she is driving a hybrid (Lexus CT200h in dark grey). Sucks since so many Prius' around me seem to easily get away with 20 all around without issues. Maybe the CHP thinks drug dealers will never be caught in a Prius.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Anyone here knows where I can get a "KQED" window decal? LOL
Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by edgalang
Got pulled over again for tints and no front plate.

Originally started with 20 fronts and 20 rears when purchased the car new, then after 2 fix-it tickets later gave up and changed to 35 fronts and 20 rears.

I thought I was safe with 35 but it looks like I'll be going 50 fronts and 20 rears moving forward. Now I see the benefits of dark colored cars vs light ones since my wife's car is 35 fronts and 20 rears and have yet to be harassed (also with no front plates).

I'm not sure if it's because of color in general (the w204 is white) or because she is driving a hybrid (Lexus CT200h in dark grey). Sucks since so many Prius' around me seem to easily get away with 20 all around without issues. Maybe the CHP thinks drug dealers will never be caught in a Prius.

Damn, sounds like your state's tint laws are pretty ridiculous.

25 on the front sides here with a front windshield strip at the AS-1 mark, limo on the back side and rear window. All legal. Texas ^.^
Old 10-03-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
I had 35 all around on my w204. Luckily, Never had a problem. It does look darker than it really with the black interior. I put on my front plate just in case. Didn't wanna compound the risk. I got 45% on my Lexus now and it still looks kinda dark. Having a lighter color interior will make a huge difference
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 PM

I have ash interior. So my interior is pretty light already. Just bad luck. Giving up on the dark tints, but I'm still going to fight the plate issue.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250 Sport P1
Originally Posted by edgalang
I have ash interior. So my interior is pretty light already. Just bad luck. Giving up on the dark tints, but I'm still going to fight the plate issue.

You're going to lose on the license plate, especially if you bought your car from a dealer because in that stack of documents you signed one of them explicitly states that they supplied you with both front & rear brackets for the mounting of plates. DMV will also chime in and confirm that they issued you two plates.

I'm actually amazed at the number of people (Including my wife) that don't run a front plate. It's like giving law enforcement an invitation to pull you over.

Originally Posted by Skyline45
Damn, sounds like your state's tint laws are pretty ridiculous.

25 on the front sides here with a front windshield strip at the AS-1 mark, limo on the back side and rear window. All legal. Texas ^.^

Here's what the California Vehicle Code says about window tinting..

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.
(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.
(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
That last line is almost a joke. I can't count how many crappy bubble infested tint jobs I've seen.

I know more than a couple of San Jose, Santa Clara & CHP officers. Even having borderline tint is just asking to get pulled over. They want to SEE who's driving.

Last edited by SCTinkering; 10-04-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 C300
5% all round, never had a problem. Cops here only get you for tint if youre doing something else that gives them a reason to pull you over it seems like.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Dizm
5% all round, never had a problem. Cops here only get you for tint if youre doing something else that gives them a reason to pull you over it seems like.
Maybe it's just me, but if I had to walk up to cars to enforce laws and couldn't see inside before I got there, I'd be very uncomfortable. If no one ever shot at an officer from inside a car, there probably would never have been anti-tint laws. Just my speculation....
Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 C300
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Maybe it's just me, but if I had to walk up to cars to enforce laws and couldn't see inside before I got there, I'd be very uncomfortable. If no one ever shot at an officer from inside a car, there probably would never have been anti-tint laws. Just my speculation....
Oh i agree, i was just saying that officers around here wont usually pull you over JUST for tint. They would likely get you for speeding or something then ticket you for tint also.

Ive never been pulled over in my car with 5%, but anytime I am ever pulled over i always roll down all the windows before the officer has to walk up. I know they have to be on their toes at all time and i would want the same if i was him/her.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Off topic, but don't most tint jobs kinda blur the view?

I like the way they look from the outside but haven't seen one from the inside that didn't blur the view.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:40 AM

2010 C300 Sport (Black)
I think location has a lot to do with it. When I lived in PA, I was pretty much the only one in my town with tint. I also had 5% so that did not help. I was once pulled over twice in one day. After changing it to 35%, I still had problems with cops.

Now that I live in Charleston SC almost everyone and there mothers has window tint because of the heat. I have 20% all around on my car now and have never had an issue.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by KyngArthur
I think location has a lot to do with it. When I lived in PA, I was pretty much the only one in my town with tint. I also had 5% so that did not help. I was once pulled over twice in one day. After changing it to 35%, I still had problems with cops.

Now that I live in Charleston SC almost everyone and there mothers has window tint because of the heat. I have 20% all around on my car now and have never had an issue.

Hit the nail on the head. Location is key. Plus, in my case, most Texas laws are pretty lax when it comes to stuff like this. We are still allowed to have radar/ laser detectors ^.^
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Hit the nail on the head. Location is key. Plus, in my case, most Texas laws are pretty lax when it comes to stuff like this. We are still allowed to have radar/ laser detectors ^.^
As is most of the country with very few exceptions....

http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/rad...etectors-Legal

There are more anti-tint laws by far. This is about police officer safety.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Sportstick
As is most of the country with very few exceptions....

http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/rad...etectors-Legal

There are more anti-tint laws by far. This is about police officer safety.
For sure, "Police Officer safety". Pretty soon they'll just start shooting at the window if it's too dark with their track record as of late...
Old 10-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
For sure, "Police Officer safety". Pretty soon they'll just start shooting at the window if it's too dark with their track record as of late...
Yet we can have front tints in Illinois, home of making everything illegal over 'officer safety'.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Current: 08 C300 Sport 4matic Previous: 2008 Saab 9-3 fully loaded- Sold
I'm in NY and even though they love giving tix out for anything and everything I've only been ticketed once in 4+ yrs of having tints. I do have the front plate which maybe helps. FYI: It's always nice to be friendly with a body shop who will write you up a receipt for "removing" tints
Old 10-09-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by BenzDogg716
... FYI: It's always nice to be friendly with a body shop who will write you up a receipt for "removing" tints
This must be a NY thing since in CA, you need to get an officer to certify the correction. A receipt does nothing.