C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help please - wanting to purchase winters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c350
Help please - wanting to purchase winters

Hi there, sorry but I'm a total newbie and was wondering if I could get some insight on the purchase of these tires. I currently drive a 2012 C-350 sedan and am looking at purchasing these winter tires with the following specs:

Set of 4 General Altimax Arctic mounted on alloy rims.
Rims 17x8. Bolt pattern is 5-112
Offset is 32mm

Thanks in advance
Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by leeept
Hi there, sorry but I'm a total newbie and was wondering if I could get some insight on the purchase of these tires. I currently drive a 2012 C-350 sedan and am looking at purchasing these winter tires with the following specs:

Set of 4 General Altimax Arctic mounted on alloy rims.
Rims 17x8. Bolt pattern is 5-112
Offset is 32mm

Thanks in advance
The tires are fine, and capable of being studded, depending on where you live and local regulations. If you don't plan to have them studded, also consider Michelin X-Ice xi3 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. You don't mention the tire size, but I presume it is 225/45-17 for all four, which would fit those rims. If you have not yet made the purchase and can find narrower rims, such as 7 or 7.5", you will get even better snow and ice traction from 215/50-17 tires on all four wheels, and this fits the car too. Narrower provides better traction in winter, and 215 is 10 millimeters narrower than 225. The wheel offset you have is low, so the wheels/tires will stick out from the wheel wells more than you may wish. The wheel offset for this car should be at least in the mid to high 40s. Not sure where you are shopping, but if you call Tire Rack and ask for Luke (who helps out forum members here), he can also help guide you. They have helped me very well over the years with many sets of tires and also wheels.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c350
Originally Posted by Sportstick
The tires are fine, and capable of being studded, depending on where you live and local regulations. If you don't plan to have them studded, also consider Michelin X-Ice xi3 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. You don't mention the tire size, but I presume it is 225/45-17 for all four, which would fit those rims. If you have not yet made the purchase and can find narrower rims, such as 7 or 7.5", you will get even better snow and ice traction from 215/50-17 tires on all four wheels, and this fits the car too. Narrower provides better traction in winter, and 215 is 10 millimeters narrower than 225. The wheel offset you have is low, so the wheels/tires will stick out from the wheel wells more than you may wish. The wheel offset for this car should be at least in the mid to high 40s. Not sure where you are shopping, but if you call Tire Rack and ask for Luke (who helps out forum members here), he can also help guide you. They have helped me very well over the years with many sets of tires and also wheels.
Thank you so much for your reply but yes I would be looking at 225-45-17 for all four wheels. I'm in Alberta Canada so I'm looking at something I would just use for the season to swap on and off. I would be purchasing these tires and rims from another seller who had them on a SLK 350 so they've been used for one season. Just looking at something reasonable in terms of cost as I'm a bit tight for cash as Christmas is looming.

Last edited by leeept; 10-27-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by leeept
Thank you so much for your reply but yes I would be looking at 225-45-17. I'm in Alberta Canada so I'm looking at something I would just use for the season to swap on and off. I would be purchasing these tires and rims from another seller who had them on a SLK 350 so they've been used for one season. Just looking at something reasonable in terms of cost as I'm a bit tight for cash as Christmas is looming.
The set-up is usable. If you know the seller, drop by and install one wheel/tire unit to see how far they stick out due to the offset being off-specification for the C Class. Put them on the car, and stand at the rear, at the side, and look forward to see the protrusion.