C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Headlights, Rain & Alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2014 | 09:09 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
Headlights, Rain & Alignment

So, I didn't get the C300 with the light package, regret that I didn't. I have regular halogen headlights which I switch out the bulb to Philips Crystalvision. Today in the rain, it seems the rain just washes out the beams to the point where if they didn't reflect off the car in front of me, I might've thought they were off.

is there anyway to counteract this? Different bulbs? I don't wanna go hotter bulbs and risk melting wires or them popping. also, any tips on properly aim them? I was thinking maybe the headlight alignment is off. Any tips for that?
Old 12-02-2014 | 09:49 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
"White" look halogens filter out part of the visible light spectrum to achieve their look. White light is composed of equal parts Red, Green, and Blue wavelength light. Traditional halogens produce less Blue light giving a yellowish look. You probably noticed the blue filter on the crystal vision bulbs. This blue filter LIMITS the amount of red and green wavelength light from exiting the bulb.

So what you get is less overall light output, because instead of achieving white light by producing MORE blue light, filtered halogen bulbs produce white light by producing LESS red and green light.

There is no halogen bulb that exists that can increase light output, and produce whiter light. Which is what I assume what you want because you bought bulbs which specifically market their white light. You need to retrofit HIDs.
Old 12-02-2014 | 09:54 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by JaredP
"White" look halogens filter out part of the visible light spectrum to achieve their look. White light is composed of equal parts Red, Green, and Blue wavelength light. Traditional halogens produce less Blue light giving a yellowish look. You probably noticed the blue filter on the crystal vision bulbs. This blue filter LIMITS the amount of red and green wavelength light from exiting the bulb.

So what you get is less overall light output, because instead of achieving white light by producing MORE blue light, filtered halogen bulbs produce white light by producing LESS red and green light.

There is no halogen bulb that exists that can increase light output, and produce whiter light. Which is what I assume what you want because you bought bulbs which specifically market their white light. You need to retrofit HIDs.

wow, thanks for the details!! So you're saying that the stock bulbs would give me greatest visibility and distance? I don't wannna retrofit anything yet, because it's still under warranty, god forbid something goes wrong, I want it covered.

so for now, do you advise putting my old sylanias back in. also, what's the best way to properly align them?
Old 12-02-2014 | 10:02 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
Stock bulbs, or bulbs with lower colour temperature (K) will give better light output. There shouldn't be any alignment issues if you have already replaced the bulbs once. There are three bulbs in the main headlight assembly for non-bixenon facelight C's, an H7 halogen for low beams, an H7 halogen for high beams, and W5W wedge type halogen bulb for parking lights. You can increase the light output of your Parking lights by replacing them with an LED W5W wedge bulb, which look very good.

There is a large thread regarding an aftermarket bixenon headlight replacement for the facelift C-Class. The aftermarket headlight looks exactly like the OEM bixenon headlight (The "Lighting Package" one), and is around $600 with HIDs installed. There are some small problems with them, but for the most part, people are satisfied, and they look good. The headlight is plug-and-play. It likely would void some sort of warranty, but it's really not a concern. The replacement headlight simply rewires the output from the OEM headlight wiring harness.
Old 12-02-2014 | 10:06 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by JaredP
Stock bulbs, or bulbs with lower colour temperature (K) will give better light output. There shouldn't be any alignment issues if you have already replaced the bulbs once. There are three bulbs in the main headlight assembly for non-bixenon facelight C's, an H7 halogen for low beams, an H7 halogen for high beams, and W5W wedge type halogen bulb for parking lights. You can increase the light output of your Parking lights by replacing them with an LED W5W wedge bulb, which look very good.

There is a large thread regarding an aftermarket bixenon headlight replacement for the facelift C-Class. The aftermarket headlight looks exactly like the OEM bixenon headlight (The "Lighting Package" one), and is around $600 with HIDs installed. There are some small problems with them, but for the most part, people are satisfied, and they look good. The headlight is plug-and-play. It likely would void some sort of warranty, but it's really not a concern. The replacement headlight simply rewires the output from the OEM headlight wiring harness.
awesome! yeah, problem was I couldn't really see with the stock bulbs, then i had the dealer adjust them. turned out they were way too high, so now i'm toying with them to get the driver side right and the pass side slightly higher. they're all out of whack thanks to me. LOL.