C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Inferiority complex?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Inferiority complex?

No, I'm not talking about any of us having inferiority complexes (after all, we drive the spiritual successor to the original 190 Series Baby Benz - one of the original sports sedans), but to CLA owners.

Don't get me wrong, the CLA is a nice car, but it doesn't go down the road in the same way as the C Class, and above. I'm glad that more people are able to get behind the three-pointed star, but with them, come drivers with egos.

I've had this happen on three separate occasions, where I'm running along at a good clip (usually +/- 10mph over), and a CLA comes out of nowhere, and insists on pulling in front of me, or breaking into the group I'm running with, leaving very little room for margin of error (annoying when traffic isn't particularly heavy). Stupid drivers abound in my area, but it just seems that it's the entry level owners feel like they have the most to prove. Is it a complex because they're driving the only cars that would allow them to have something from the brand? I'm including BMW 1's, 2's, and Audi A3's as well, as this behavior isn't isolated.

Maybe it's just me, and my low tolerance for stupidity.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I was looking at owning a 2 series many years down the road, and I can most definitely understand the logic you are applying.

They are buying the cheapest possible ticket to the world of MB, and if not for the CLA, they may not have even been able to in the first place. I get that, and I feel a younger demographic can now more easily lease or own a Mercedes Benz, and to them that may be a big deal. The younger drivers may not be as seasoned and as road worthy. I get everything you are saying but...and there are a few "buts"...

But if someone owning a Toyota, Ford or "lesser" brand vehicle (or even CLA) read what you are saying, wouldn't they be saying we are the ones with a superiority complex?

But what about my old C class that isn't worth anywhere near a new CLA? Technically, they have the more expensive and newer vehicle. If they bought a CLA, they could have easily bought my year C class.

But what about someone like my girlfriend who enjoys the styling and "cute" compactness of the CLA over a C class? What if she could easily afford the C class, but chose the CLA for other personal preferences?

and finally...before the CLA, the C class was the lowest common denominator of the MB family, that means I must have been the entry level owner with something to prove to my E and S class superiors...

I get what you are saying though, overall. I just think that maybe a few of these new CLA drivers are simply bad drivers or jerks lol.

I get bad drivers all day, in all kinds of cars. Maybe we don't see any S class or other nice car drivers pulling this kind of idiotic stuff because they are more experienced, smarter or have better driving etiquette, or maybe because we just see far less of them on the road compared to their more affordable and common siblings.

I respect your opinion, and there may be some truth to it, but we can't make general statements just because of a few bad drivers here and there.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Must be your location OP. I completely do not feel this way. Here, it is the older cars (regardless of make/model) that drive more aggressively (especially hwy-580). I'm guessing it's because older cars in general have less to loose.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by edgalang
Must be your location OP. I completely do not feel this way. Here, it is the older cars (regardless of make/model) that drive more aggressively (especially hwy-580). I'm guessing it's because older cars in general have less to loose.
I find the same in the Philadelphia area. The older cars drive more aggressively and wear the scars of their previous encounters as some sort of badge of honor.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
I was looking at owning a 2 series many years down the road, and I can most definitely understand the logic you are applying.

First off, in no way did I elaborate as much as I could have, and in not doing so, I came off as having made quite a few generalizations. I appreciate this forum as its members are quite respectful, and willing to discuss a topic, as opposed to shoot someone down (unless it’s done in jest). I’m including my perspective inline to your comments. In no way am I arguing, just my thoughts.

They are buying the cheapest possible ticket to the world of MB, and if not for the CLA, they may not have even been able to in the first place. I get that, and I feel a younger demographic can now more easily lease or own a Mercedes Benz, and to them that may be a big deal. The younger drivers may not be as seasoned and as road worthy. I get everything you are saying but...and there are a few "buts"...

There are always ‘buts’. I think the younger age bracket is a good way to look at it, now that for a little more than a fully loaded Accord, or Camry, you can step up to Audi, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz.

But if someone owning a Toyota, Ford or "lesser" brand vehicle (or even CLA) read what you are saying, wouldn't they be saying we are the ones with a superiority complex?

I can get that we might be seen as the ones having a superiority complex, but I see the older, more seasoned, experienced drivers as not being pompous on the road, yes there are always exceptions though. I often disregard the drivers of more mainstream brands, when it comes to driving behavior, as it just seems to be something I just have come to expect from them.

But what about my old C class that isn't worth anywhere near a new CLA? Technically, they have the more expensive and newer vehicle. If they bought a CLA, they could have easily bought my year C class.
But what about someone like my girlfriend who enjoys the styling and "cute" compactness of the CLA over a C class? What if she could easily afford the C class, but chose the CLA for other personal preferences? [/QUOTE]

Also good points. I guess I just notice the bad driving a bit more, and the ones who blend in, just happen to go unnoticed. This is pretty applicable to any driver, regardless of Make & Model of vehicle driven

and finally...before the CLA, the C class was the lowest common denominator of the MB family, that means I must have been the entry level owner with something to prove to my E and S class superiors...

I definitely can’t dispute this point, though the C’s have all felt more solid, and screwed together just as well as everything else in the brand (Car and Driver has stated that the cars definitely feel like they were chiseled by the same people who made the S, and G Class). I don’t recall the C ever being quite as accessible as the CLA, as in the DC area, it was basically impossible to find a C for less than $40+k. C owners are younger than the typical Mercedes-Benz owner, but still older than the demographic that the CLA is bringing in. Again, no indicative of everyone.

I get what you are saying though, overall. I just think that maybe a few of these new CLA drivers are simply bad drivers or jerks lol.

And of those there are many in the DC area

I get bad drivers all day, in all kinds of cars. Maybe we don't see any S class or other nice car drivers pulling this kind of idiotic stuff because they are more experienced, smarter or have better driving etiquette, or maybe because we just see far less of them on the road compared to their more affordable and common siblings.

Can’t argue this point.

I respect your opinion, and there may be some truth to it, but we can't make general statements just because of a few bad drivers here and there.

This statement pretty much sums up what makes this forum so great. I haven’t seen much infighting or insulting of other members, as I have on other forums. I definitely look forward to seeing more threads.

On, or off, topic, the conversation is always interesting.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
Originally Posted by W57thNY
.....Stupid drivers abound in my area, but it just seems that it's the entry level owners feel like they have the most to prove. Is it a complex because they're driving the only cars that would allow them to have something from the brand? I'm including BMW 1's, 2's, and Audi A3's as well, as this behavior isn't isolated.

As a DMV resident I agree with you 200%. Ask any service adviser and they will tell you CLA/C Class and 1-3 Series owner are the worst. Too many of them feel they have something to prove as evident in their demanding attitudes and my **** don't stink posture.

Last edited by benben01; 03-31-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
No, I'm not talking about any of us having inferiority complexes (after all, we drive the spiritual successor to the original 190 Series Baby Benz - one of the original sports sedans), but to CLA owners.

Don't get me wrong, the CLA is a nice car, but it doesn't go down the road in the same way as the C Class, and above. I'm glad that more people are able to get behind the three-pointed star, but with them, come drivers with egos.

I've had this happen on three separate occasions, where I'm running along at a good clip (usually +/- 10mph over), and a CLA comes out of nowhere, and insists on pulling in front of me, or breaking into the group I'm running with, leaving very little room for margin of error (annoying when traffic isn't particularly heavy). Stupid drivers abound in my area, but it just seems that it's the entry level owners feel like they have the most to prove. Is it a complex because they're driving the only cars that would allow them to have something from the brand? I'm including BMW 1's, 2's, and Audi A3's as well, as this behavior isn't isolated.

I have both lol
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport

First off, in no way did I elaborate as much as I could have, and in not doing so, I came off as having made quite a few generalizations. I appreciate this forum as its members are quite respectful, and willing to discuss a topic, as opposed to shoot someone down (unless it’s done in jest). I’m including my perspective inline to your comments. In no way am I arguing, just my thoughts.

This statement pretty much sums up what makes this forum so great. I haven’t seen much infighting or insulting of other members, as I have on other forums. I definitely look forward to seeing more threads.

I in no way wanted to argue, insult or provoke you, and it seems you understood that. I only mean to discuss my opinion and yours. I am impressed with your respectable and honest response. I agree with each of your comments regarding my post, and I really do look forward to more posts with members such as yourself.

Cheers, friend.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507 Edition Sedan - Mars Red
Agree 100%. I think the car is sleek looking but agree and have Seen several CLAs drive and speed idiotically and recklessly passed me. From texas. .

Also seen a CLA with some odd eyebrow stickers. Kinda like those stickers rice rockets put on their windshield when they're in a car club.

Last edited by lemonstand; 03-31-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM

CLA45 AMG
Rodpwnz summed it up quite nicely. I don't know you or your background but my initial thought when reading your post is "someone is quite full of themselves". This isn't because I'm a future CLA owner, but because of the generalizations and assumptions you are making about those owners. When you consider that the average cla45 owner is dropping $60k on their car, they could've bought a new/used C, E or CLS. That said, I see where you're coming from and I'd just be careful on how you phrase and present your thoughts.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1

You have got to be kidding me?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by jsquared27
i think you're in the wrong section
Old 03-31-2015, 03:20 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1
Originally Posted by xjaymzzx
i think you're in the wrong section
Regardless of which section I am in, I am shocked people actually think like this. It's sad.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM

DELETED

Last edited by xjaymzzx; 04-02-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by soolman32
Rodpwnz summed it up quite nicely. I don't know you or your background but my initial thought when reading your post is "someone is quite full of themselves". This isn't because I'm a future CLA owner, but because of the generalizations and assumptions you are making about those owners. When you consider that the average cla45 owner is dropping $60k on their car, they could've bought a new/used C, E or CLS. That said, I see where you're coming from and I'd just be careful on how you phrase and present your thoughts.
I'm really not trying to knock anyone, and if you check my replies to some of the other responses to my thread, I've stated that I didn't elaborate in such a way that prevented me from coming off as condescending.

I did state that I included Audi A3, and BMW 1&2 series drivers in the mix, but that in no way covers all the bad driving I see in the DC area, and there is a lot of it.

As with other posters on this thread, and the site in general, I appreciate how we're able to discuss various topics without coming off as one opinion is more valid than another.

I should also say, there are tons of bad A4, 3 Series, and C Class drivers thrown into the mix.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by lemonstand
Agree 100%. I think the car is sleek looking but agree and have Seen several CLAs drive and speed idiotically and recklessly passed me. From texas. .

Also seen a CLA with some odd eyebrow stickers. Kinda like those stickers rice rockets put on their windshield when they're in a car club.
Honestly, I think I've noticed the bad drivers of entry level cars because they just happen to stand out more. Everyone else who just goes about their business like a normal person just blends in.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:25 AM
FFM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Audi R8
Originally Posted by jsquared27
Is that a demand?!

See, the self entitlement, I seent it.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 AM

CLA 45
I drive an AMG, CLA45. Not sure what younger means, but I'm under 40. Your comments are not unique, I see some folks make the same comparison between Mercedes-Benz and Mercedes-AMG owners. "People who spend more on their cars are better drivers." As others have said, it's a matter of experience, not which car you buy or how much you spend.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 AM

CLA 45
Originally Posted by xjaymzzx
C class > CLA > honda civics

jk
CLA45 > C
njk
Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 351 Likes on 214 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I haven't had any bad experiences with CLA drivers in my area (Dallas). They all drive pretty calmly... down here it's mostly the modern muscle cars (Mustangs, Challengers, and Corvettes) that drive recklessly.

On a side note, I did cross-shop a CLA45 before buying our C350 and I did enjoy it. I found, however, that it did not drive like other MB vehicles. It drove more like the Japanese FWD/AWD car.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300 W204 Luxury
It's been the complete opposite for me. My c300 is lowered with sporty rims, but I drive pretty conservatively. Living by Fort Hood, I always get a bunch of young soldiers in STI's and Mustangs revving their engines next to me. Like dude...my cars not fast lol. I just shake my head and smile.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 PM

CLA45 AMG
I'm really not trying to knock anyone, and if you check my replies to some of the other responses to my thread, I've stated that I didn't elaborate in such a way that prevented me from coming off as condescending.

I did state that I included Audi A3, and BMW 1&2 series drivers in the mix, but that in no way covers all the bad driving I see in the DC area, and there is a lot of it.

As with other posters on this thread, and the site in general, I appreciate how we're able to discuss various topics without coming off as one opinion is more valid than another.

I should also say, there are tons of bad A4, 3 Series, and C Class drivers thrown into the mix.
Yes you did say that and is the reason why I feel the goal of the post wasn't to be condescending towards other drivers but simply to open the discussion. Like with any sensitive topic, taking the time to elaborate your thoughts to eliminate any ambiguity on your intent is key. We've all seen bad drivers and people who feel entitlement. The car they drive, whether high end luxury or basic point A to B, does not impact their personality. A douche will be a douche regardless, and an immature driver will also be just that regardless of status or car being driven.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by cfmistry
I haven't had any bad experiences with CLA drivers in my area (Dallas). They all drive pretty calmly... down here it's mostly the modern muscle cars (Mustangs, Challengers, and Corvettes) that drive recklessly.

On a side note, I did cross-shop a CLA45 before buying our C350 and I did enjoy it. I found, however, that it did not drive like other MB vehicles. It drove more like the Japanese FWD/AWD car.

^^^^^ I would agree with the driving aspect
Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by jedi45
CLA45 > C
njk
2 very different cars for very different demographics.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 AM

DELETED

Last edited by xjaymzzx; 04-02-2015 at 01:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Inferiority complex?