C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Metal Scraping Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C240
Metal Scraping Noise

Hi,
I have a 2004 C240 4Matic (I had it for 3 yrs it has 145K) and if I turn the wheel maybe 80% to the left and bring it back to the right or have to make a right turn immediately my car makes a metal scraping noise. It also happens when I back the car up and turn the wheel to the left and then the right to straighten. Someone also described it as the sound a power drill or tools makes. When I am driving straight the car is fine. If I make a left turn only it doesnt make the noise. If I make a right turn only it doesnt make the noise. Only if I turn it left and then right. I took it to a mechanic shop and at first they couldnt duplicate the sound but when I took it to them the next day, they were able to hear it and duplicate it. According to them its my strut mounts. When I spoke to my friends who are mechanics (They only work on Hondas and such but not MB or BMW) they say that impossible b/c struts has nothing to do with turning the the car. Bad struts are only when you going over bumps and you hear a clunk sound. They think its my power steering pump. They have offered to change the strut mounts for me so I dont pay and its not the issue. The car hasnt made the sound in 4 days but now I when I turn the wheel it feels stiff and it gets a bit hard when making turns and it returns much slower than it used to. If its a sharp turn you feel some kind of air restricting it, if that make sense. I recently had my belts changed maybe 2 months ago so I know its not it and my power steering fluid reservoir is full so theres no leak. Its really driving me crazy b/c I dont want to drive it and it breaks down on me and its not repairable. Does it being my strut mounts make sense? Could it be the power steering pump? If I dont get anything fix what would be the next step, hearing the noise all the time? Ive taken the car to 3 mechanic and only 1 says they have found the issue and that seems iffy. Please help!

Last edited by Anekasan; 04-14-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum- i had moved it but dont know how to Delete
Old 04-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C350
tl;dr but you're in the wrong section my friend. You should move this under the w203 subforum, not the w204('08-'14)
Old 12-28-2021, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bens c230 06
Originally Posted by Anekasan
Hi,
I have a 2004 C240 4Matic (I had it for 3 yrs it has 145K) and if I turn the wheel maybe 80% to the left and bring it back to the right or have to make a right turn immediately my car makes a metal scraping noise. It also happens when I back the car up and turn the wheel to the left and then the right to straighten. Someone also described it as the sound a power drill or tools makes. When I am driving straight the car is fine. If I make a left turn only it doesnt make the noise. If I make a right turn only it doesnt make the noise. Only if I turn it left and then right. I took it to a mechanic shop and at first they couldnt duplicate the sound but when I took it to them the next day, they were able to hear it and duplicate it. According to them its my strut mounts. When I spoke to my friends who are mechanics (They only work on Hondas and such but not MB or BMW) they say that impossible b/c struts has nothing to do with turning the the car. Bad struts are only when you going over bumps and you hear a clunk sound. They think its my power steering pump. They have offered to change the strut mounts for me so I dont pay and its not the issue. The car hasnt made the sound in 4 days but now I when I turn the wheel it feels stiff and it gets a bit hard when making turns and it returns much slower than it used to. If its a sharp turn you feel some kind of air restricting it, if that make sense. I recently had my belts changed maybe 2 months ago so I know its not it and my power steering fluid reservoir is full so theres no leak. Its really driving me crazy b/c I dont want to drive it and it breaks down on me and its not repairable. Does it being my strut mounts make sense? Could it be the power steering pump? If I dont get anything fix what would be the next step, hearing the noise all the time? Ive taken the car to 3 mechanic and only 1 says they have found the issue and that seems iffy. Please help!
im thinking it’s the hub bearing. Worth checking. If it is that it’s not expensive to replace.