C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tried all common intermittent start solutions but my car is still having problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Question Tried all common intermittent start solutions but my car is still having problems?

My car has been in the MB dealership many times for this problem and they have replaced/looked at the following:

1) replaced crankshaft position sensor
2) replaced fuel pump
3) tried new fuel pump relay but the problem still persists (did not replace with a new relay in the end)
Happens to both of my EIS keys with new batteries.

Intermittent Start problem:
The car cranks everytime but sometimes dies immediately or it can be a prolonged crank and die. There's no specific time that it fails although yesterday, it kept failing to start on the 2nd try but it worked again when I start the car again immediately after. Before they replaced the CPS and fuel pump, it can also die on the first try. But after replacing them, the car has mostly been working on the first try and its when I start and restart the car to test it further before the car doesn't start. And then when I start it again, it'll work.

There's no error code for the intermittent starts so it took awhile to convince them there's a problem with the car but they have since witnessed the fault and are willing to sort this out. However, after replacing the CPS, Fuel pump, and tested with a new fuel pump relay, the problem still persists and I can't help but feel the constant starting and turning off the engine to test the intermittent start would cause other parts of the car to fail eventually so hopefully someone might be able to suggest something that might be causing this issue?

Last edited by BDriver; 04-18-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi,
Completely off base here but this is my experience,
My BMW E36 had same issue and was fixed by the dealers by re-flashing the DME (engine computer) turned out that it was not receiving a signal to start from the EWS system in the car which recognises the micro chip in the key.

I read that the re-flash allows more milli second time while cranking for the key to be recognised by the EWS which will then allow start signal inside the DME

It would crank over good as gold and intermittent if it would start or not usually after about 6 tries it would go. No fault codes due no fault.