C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Oil in the air intake on direct injection engines?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2018 | 02:36 PM

2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap

Enjoy, I wouldn't do it too often though because the cats must take a beating everytime you do it.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018 | 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Agreed that the cats take a beating, but both of these tests are lacking a control.

I think it's pretty universally agreed that the smoke is not caused by the carbon buildup, and that is most likely is the Seafoam that's being combusted and exhausted out. The question that one should have, is what happens to the carbon buildup if, say, water was just put instead. The whole theory behind that is engine = hot, put in something cold, like Seafoam or water (relatively cold), and yes one would expect some carbon to be dislodged. I remember seeing BMW owners add water injection to their cars to help with intake buildup, same principle, similar results.

Still no proof it's the Seafoam that caused the dislodging of some carbon buildup. The second video has a BUNCH of products that he is/was going to test, but he only showed the results of Seafoam.

PS on a balance of probabilities, I do think Seafoam is what cleaned the carbon off of the piston head of the lawnmower!

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 02-27-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2018 | 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Oh PS, just found the side related videos, and taking a look now.
Old 02-27-2018 | 04:35 PM

2008 C350 Sport 4Matic Swap
Yes, water can also be used to "steam clean" the engine, use to be an old school trick where you get a spray bottle and spray it inside the throttle body. Then you let the engine heat soak with the water inside the engine and it steam cleans it, definitely no as much smoke as sea foam, the smoked caused by sea foam is a detergent chemical inside the sea foam I believe.

I like this channel a lot, his experiments are very interesting and informative with results.

Last edited by W204Motorsports; 02-27-2018 at 04:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018 | 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by ltwargssf
Yes, water can also be used to "steam clean" the engine, use to be an old school trick where you get a spray bottle and spray it inside the throttle body. Then you let the engine heat soak with the water inside the engine and it steam cleans it, definitely no as much smoke as sea foam, the smoked caused by sea foam is a detergent chemical inside the sea foam I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySSEzqEa_k

I like this channel a lot, his experiments are very interesting and informative with results.
Thanks and yeah. I'm digging this guy. The Royal Purple results were disappointing, and surprising, at the same time. I'm trying to see if he's done a test for the Redline SI1 or was it SI2 cleaner. That cleaner is one primarily using the PEA additive, which is the only "gasoline additive" based cleaner that has a shot in hell for helping DI engines. I've been curious for years if it does anything decent.

The BG44K stuff was OK, but the results weren't stellar when I used it several years ago.