C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire rubbing fenders pls help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C Class
Tire rubbing fenders pls help

I bought new set of wheels and tires

Rim Size 19x8.5 35 offset for all sides.

Tire Size 245/35/19

Test drove it while ago, during normal cruising speed, it does not rub,
however if I hit a bump on the road at higher speeds, it rubs a little bit.

I'm sure it is rubbing since the sound can be heard from inside the car.

What should i do??

I don't want to damage my tires
Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 AM

2014 C200 AMG
Do you have any pics to share?

If I am correct... your offset of 35 means the rims and tyres are quite OUTWARDs from the car body right? What you can do is NOT to use them asap.

My 19 inch set are with 19x8.5 45 and 19x9.5 54 (C63 rims).

I guess the sound is from the front rims?
Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Originally Posted by MBstve
I bought new set of wheels and tires

Rim Size 19x8.5 35 offset for all sides.

Tire Size 245/35/19

Test drove it while ago, during normal cruising speed, it does not rub,
however if I hit a bump on the road at higher speeds, it rubs a little bit.

I'm sure it is rubbing since the sound can be heard from inside the car.

What should i do??

I don't want to damage my tires
Get the correct size and offset wheel.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Mercedes-Benz C Class
Originally Posted by Jazz2Love
Do you have any pics to share?

If I am correct... your offset of 35 means the rims and tyres are quite OUTWARDs from the car body right? What you can do is NOT to use them asap.

My 19 inch set are with 19x8.5 45 and 19x9.5 54 (C63 rims).

I guess the sound is from the front rims?
It seems to be rubbing mostly on the front but also some in the back. I found this out cause I apply tire black and I can touch some tire black residue on the fender lips. There are no actual "scratches" on the tire itself just a rubbing sound.

I still have not taken pics of it, but it is quite an aggressive set up.

I've searched some threads,

Found some options other than not using the wheels... Cause honestly I really like the wheels to work cause I've waited for so long for these wheels.. maybe there are other solutions?

1. rolling the fender
2. grinding off the fender
3. installing a stiff "shock cushion"
4. changing to lower profile tires (235/35/19) - maybe the last option most expensive.

so what do you guys think?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
what tire brand are you using too. Some tires run wider then other brands, even with the same size #.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 AM

Mercedes-Benz C Class
Originally Posted by xjaymzzx
what tire brand are you using too. Some tires run wider then other brands, even with the same size #.
I use Toyo tires, the tires were just transferred from my old rims.

The photo was taken while going down the ramp that is why the rear suspension is compressed.

For the front wheels, I still don't have the photo of the wheels while suspension is compressed

I think grinding off the fender will work?
What do you think?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Tire rubbing fenders pls help-img_1907.jpg  
Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
get your fenders rolled. its the easiest/cheapest option for you

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2015, 04:46 PM

2013 C250
I am running the same off set and think the recommendations others here have stated should work.

1. Roll/pull your fenders

2. Skinnier tire either 225 or 235

I have done both of these

Grinding the fender would help but would also weaken the fender making more prone to dents and becoming misshapen.

Last edited by NibblerRx; 06-14-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport
Roll fenders along with getting a better tire size. Get 225/35/19.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
I know I'm old, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do something. This all sounds wrong to me. The old saying "Measure twice, cut once".
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
I know I'm old, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do something. This all sounds wrong to me. The old saying "Measure twice, cut once".
+1
Old 06-15-2015, 12:27 AM

Mercedes-Benz C Class
Originally Posted by NibblerRx
I am running the same off set and think the recommendations others here have stated should work.

1. Roll/pull your fenders

2. Skinnier tire either 225 or 235

I have done both of these

Grinding the fender would help but would also weaken the fender making more prone to dents and becoming misshapen.
Originally Posted by dudeitsmattx
Roll fenders along with getting a better tire size. Get 225/35/19.

Ok will roll my fenders
My tires are getting a bit old too, might change them soon.
Tire options:
1. 245/30 r 19
2. 235/35 r 19
3. 235/30 r 19

which one do you think will work?

225 seems to be too narrow? might stretch the tires too much
Cause i also like to have the wider look of the tires.

How about the spring cushion? has anyone tried using those?

Last edited by MBstve; 06-15-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:35 AM

2013 C250 Sport
Can you tell where the rubbing is happening at? Mine rubs right where the front bumper and fender meet.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:54 PM

'09 C350
235 anything on the front with that offset will ALWAYS rub.
There's very little you can do with a fender roller as the lips are already tucked in pretty aggressively from the factory.
Your biggest problem is that the wheels are absolutely the wrong size for the car. 19s with ET35 offset is just way too aggressive. Not only for rubbing but also tire wear and suspension wear. Not even going to mention the look and feel of stretched 225s on 8.5" wide wheels.

PS: I run 235/40/18s on the front with the stock offset and my fenders are still rubbing slightly on big potholes.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
i had a post on this before for our cars 42 offset to 54 is the range we should be in yours is way to aggressive.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sedan
Rolling your fenders will do little to nothing because there is not much to roll like someone mentioned above. I bet its rubbing against the fender liner or the area where the bumpers meet in the inner fender. Rolling such a small area in the rear will have higher risk of cracking/damaging your paint and there's basically nothing to roll in the front. Getting wheels with the proper offset would be the main solution. BUT if you want to try and MAKE this setup work I think grinding down the inner fender and sanding it down to smooth it + adding camber to the rear will fix your rubbing issue. I think SPC makes a rear camber kit for our cars, also D2 and KSport offer coilovers with fully adjustable pillowball top-mounts (front and rear) which eliminate the need for a camber kit. Obviously the tires will wear faster and unevenly with more negative camber but that's just part of the whole fitment game =]

Last edited by mr.brightside; 06-17-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:15 AM

Mercedes-Benz C Class
Can you tell where the rubbing is happening at? Mine rubs right where the front bumper and fender meet.
Originally Posted by vipsa
There's very little you can do with a fender roller as the lips are already tucked in pretty aggressively from the factory.
Your biggest problem is that the wheels are absolutely the wrong size for the car. 19s with ET35 offset is just way too aggressive. Not only for rubbing but also tire wear and suspension wear. Not even going to mention the look and feel of stretched 225s on 8.5" wide wheels.

PS: I run 235/40/18s on the front with the stock offset and my fenders are still rubbing slightly on big potholes.
Originally Posted by mr.brightside
Rolling your fenders will do little to nothing because there is not much to roll like someone mentioned above. I bet its rubbing against the fender liner or the area where the bumpers meet in the inner fender. Rolling such a small area in the rear will have higher risk of cracking/damaging your paint and there's basically nothing to roll in the front. Getting wheels with the proper offset would be the main solution. BUT if you want to try and MAKE this setup work I think grinding down the inner fender and sanding it down to smooth it + adding camber to the rear will fix your rubbing issue. I think SPC makes a rear camber kit for our cars, also D2 and KSport offer coilovers with fully adjustable pillowball top-mounts (front and rear) which eliminate the need for a camber kit. Obviously the tires will wear faster and unevenly with more negative camber but that's just part of the whole fitment game =]
Honestly I'm not really sure where it rubs there are also no visible scratches on the tires. I only "hear" the rubbing. But, I think it rubs a little on top of the front fender at around 11-1 o'clock. Because that is the part that is a little "pushed out"

My front and the rear fender is actually a little deformed now if you look closely. Would not be noticed by other people unless they know what to look for.

Rubbing only happens when I drive fast while there are other people in the car. When there is a straight downward force acting on the 4 wheels. Imagine going down small hill really fast. When you reach the bottom that is when the rubbing happens, the momentum is causing the suspension to compress.

Update:
I installed spring cushions made from polyurethane on all 4 sides of the car. I test drove it with people inside. Definitely a lot of improvement! I drove aggressively, rear does not seem to rub anymore, the fronts still rub a little but it is much better now. The ride is not stiff, on bumps it is basically the same quality ride. I also think the car turns sharper at high speeds. Suspension does not seem to compress too much anymore. Handling is generally better. I still have to test drive it more.

Long term solution:
I also noticed that there is very little to fold on the fenders, so I might just try to grind and smooth out the front fender. Also to change the tires to narrower tires cause i currently run 245/35/19
Old 06-17-2015, 02:57 PM

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by vipsa

I have 225/35 on my front 8.5" wheel with 35 offset and its not stretched, that is the smallest tire size made to fit 8.5" wheel anything lower then that will start to become a stretched tire. And the fronts have a 1/2'" lip you can roll which does help when running aggressive offset. And there is no different tire wear or suspension wear on my 19's with 35 offset, my alignment is in spec..

OP do you have a link to where the spring cushions? When you get time jack the car up in the front and see if there is any marks on the inside of the fender or in the liner near where the fender and bumper meet. I had to cut a small spot out on my liner in that spot for when the shock and spring fully compress. I'm as low as I can go on H&R coils with same front specs as you.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:08 PM

Mercedes-Benz C Class
I have 225/35 on my front 8.5" wheel with 35 offset and its not stretched, that is the smallest tire size made to fit 8.5" wheel anything lower then that will start to become a stretched tire. And the fronts have a 1/2'" lip you can roll which does help when running aggressive offset. And there is no different tire wear or suspension wear on my 19's with 35 offset, my alignment is in spec..

OP do you have a link to where the spring cushions? When you get time jack the car up in the front and see if there is any marks on the inside of the fender or in the liner near where the fender and bumper meet. I had to cut a small spot out on my liner in that spot for when the shock and spring fully compress. I'm as low as I can go on H&R coils with same front specs as you.
Sorry for the slow reply, been busy
This is the spring cushion
Brand is TTC from South Korea
http://thinkthinkcar.com/en/faq.php

Size for a stock C350 is B for the front and D for the rear, but since you upgraded to H&R lowering springs, I rekon your size would be smaller.
Stay away from spring cushions that come from China cause they might disintegrate after a few months. I had a chance to drive the car a little more, it DOES corner better and definitely lesser body roll, I'm quite surprised.

By the way, how much drop do you have front and rear? Was the handling/ride better after upgrading to H&R?