C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Garage Door hit my Back Bumper. How much for fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 4matic
Garage Door hit my Back Bumper. How much for fix?

You'd think I knew how to park in my own garage lol.

Recently, we put new shelves in the garage which resulted in parking my car a little further away from the wall. I parked in what I thought was a perfect fit and my sister who was helping me park agreed. She closed the garage and the garage barely hit my back bumper but it resulted in scratches on my bumper.

The scratches are not deep. I cannot feel any of them with my finger except for one right in the middle. I'm too scared to fix these myself but how much would it cost to fix it?

Also, another reason I'm scared is because the black is metallic black and I'm scared of the car looking bad. What do you guys think?

I'm pretty mad that this happened though. My first accident in a couple years.

Attached Thumbnails Garage Door hit my Back Bumper. How much for fix?-ripmercedes.png  
Old 06-19-2015, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 352 Likes on 215 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
You can buff those out and get them looking pretty good for ~$100. If you want to have it perfect by repainting the bumper, it will run you ~$500. If this car is your daily driver I would hesitate to have you repaint the rear bumper, since imperfections bigger than this are likely to happen (even while closing the garage door).

Honestly the EXACT same thing happened to my wife's car a month ago. Exact same damage too!!! But since her car is white, you can barely see the scratches.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 PM

2013 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by cfmistry
You can buff those out and get them looking pretty good for ~$100. If you want to have it perfect by repainting the bumper, it will run you ~$500. If this car is your daily driver I would hesitate to have you repaint the rear bumper, since imperfections bigger than this are likely to happen (even while closing the garage door).

Honestly the EXACT same thing happened to my wife's car a month ago. Exact same damage too!!! But since her car is white, you can barely see the scratches.
Damn. That's expensive.

It is my daily driver but I'm still considering it because it's SO noticeable in the sun

Thanks for help though.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:02 PM

2008 Mercedes C350 W204
Try DR Colorchip (drcolorchip.com). My car - 08 black C350 - had serious pitting on the hood due to the PO getting caught in a sandstorm in Arizona. I doubted what I saw on their website videos, but it really did work as advertised and was easy and fast to do. The first application of their paint lasted about 3 years and my car was a daily driver all that time. I did another touch up and it's been almost 3.5 years this time around and it still looks good.

My wife's last car was a Buick Enclave with the Pearl White Tri-coat paint, which is really hard to match, even for a professional shop. She would scratch it up all the time, and the DR Colorchip wasn't quite perfect but you really had to look hard to see the areas where I touched it up.

Since your scratches aren't too deep, it might be worth a shot. It also works great filling in rock chips, too. It'll cost you about $35-$50, depending on which of their kits you buy. Don't waste your time with auto store dupla-color type paint pens/brushes, it almost never looks right.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:46 AM

2013 C300 4matic
Thanks for the recommendation! From the videos, it looks perfect. I'll try it but the only worry I have is mimicking the Metallic color.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:02 AM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2016 S550
I detail cars a lot and do a lot of paint restoration.
Judging from the picture alone, 95% of that will buff out. No more than 5 minutes time. If you were local I'd do it for free for you.

Now, there are 3-4 areas where I think it has scratched past the clear coat, perhaps to the primer (they're the scratches where you see white), but again I'm not 100% sure since I'm not looking at it in person. It could just be a deep clear coat scratch. If that's the case, wet sanding with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, and buffing with a compound will repair them. Remember, after any buffing job you must wax.

If it's deep past the clear coat, you'll want touch up paint. But if the scratch is small enough, it will probably not show up as bad as touch up paint. But buffing should at least get rid of all the "scuffs"..and leave the white lines behind if they're indeed deep.