C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2012 C300 Start Problem Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic
2012 C300 Start Problem Information

Over the past couple of weeks, I started having problems with error messages showing up on the dash display when I tried to start my Keyless Go-equipped car in the morning. Initially, it was just an "SRS System Malfunction" error, after which I could shut off the car with the key, replace the button and start the car normally.

I was due for a B Service visit anyway, so I let the dealer look at it, but there were no codes saved and the problem didn't occur while they had it.

The next day, however, when I tried to start the car in the morning, the messages expanded to include the ABS, Cruise Control, TPMS, and a variety of other systems in addition to the SRS system. Each time I was able to start the car normally on the next try.

Last night as I was leaving work, the problem became a hard failure. The car would still start on the second try, but the error messages would not clear and the car could not be moved in to gear. After an hour of intermittent attempts, the car finally started normally and I was able to drive it to the dealership where they reproduced the problem and fixed it today.

The cause of the problem was a failed relay in the front prefuse box. Once that was replaced the car started normally again and they were unable to trigger a recurrence of the problem.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else runs into a similar issue and is trying to diagnose the cause. For me, the problem appears to be solved and it was done under warranty so it didn't cost me anything. Hopefully, my experience is a one-off.
The following 2 users liked this post by CatVert68:
Moto_Guzzi (10-22-2019), Vantard (10-21-2019)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by CatVert68
Over the past couple of weeks, I started having problems with error messages showing up on the dash display when I tried to start my Keyless Go-equipped car in the morning. Initially, it was just an "SRS System Malfunction" error, after which I could shut off the car with the key, replace the button and start the car normally.

I was due for a B Service visit anyway, so I let the dealer look at it, but there were no codes saved and the problem didn't occur while they had it.

The next day, however, when I tried to start the car in the morning, the messages expanded to include the ABS, Cruise Control, TPMS, and a variety of other systems in addition to the SRS system. Each time I was able to start the car normally on the next try.

Last night as I was leaving work, the problem became a hard failure. The car would still start on the second try, but the error messages would not clear and the car could not be moved in to gear. After an hour of intermittent attempts, the car finally started normally and I was able to drive it to the dealership where they reproduced the problem and fixed it today.

The cause of the problem was a failed relay in the front prefuse box. Once that was replaced the car started normally again and they were unable to trigger a recurrence of the problem.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else runs into a similar issue and is trying to diagnose the cause. For me, the problem appears to be solved and it was done under warranty so it didn't cost me anything. Hopefully, my experience is a one-off.
thanks hope this doesn't happen to me but useful information glad it was quick fix
Old 10-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 c300
Thanks for posting, im having almost the same thing with my 2011 c300.